7 replies to this topic

#1 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:19 PM

i am turning my mini into a sportspack jobbie, its being treated to an all steel flip front, sports pack alloys and arches and hi-los on the front.
i need to know where is the cheapest place for me to get a set of the sportspack arches from.
where do i need to trim my arches back to accomodate the 13's?
i also want 2 sportspack leather front seats and dashboard with clocks
so if anyone has got anything for sale please give me a shout, its pay day in 3 days and cash is waiting!
please contact me if you have any of this!

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

Once you have trimmed the wings to fit the sportspack arches then the wheels will be clear, if you use the same dimension wheels as genuine. Templates are available on this very site to cut the wings. You do need to do something about the steering rack though. Genuine sportspack have a reduced lock steering rack to avoid rubbing the inner wing as well as the outer.
Are you sure you want to use the cheapest arches you can get? Better quality ones will be easier to fit and paint, look better and last longer. And since you're fitting a flip front you'll have to split the front arches, cheap ones may not be up to the cutting and may not line up properly afterwards. I know price isn't the best indication of good quality, but it's a good sign of bad quality.
Make sure your wheel bearings are up to the job(taper rollers all round, post recall at the rear), and a cross pin diff or competition diff pin wouldn't be a bad idea. Big heavy wheels really strain the car.

Sportpack didn't have its own seats, they were the same as all late Minis.
Late interiors go for silly money(check MEGAs ads.), try Newton Commercial. They make a recliner that looks very much like the late seat and is a much nicer price. They also make a really nice bucket which fits straight in, no messing.

Why Hi-Los front only?

Just came back to edit this quickly, forgot to say sportspack have the rear wheels on spacers. 6.5mm (1/4") I think, but someone who has one could check for you.

#3 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

If I were you, I'd go for proper bucket seats, much more comfortable than the standard seats, with the added advantage of side support.

#4 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:10 AM

i have already got hi-los on the rear, its having a quik rack fitted as soon as i can afford one, i am fitting all the negative camber kit and shortened spax gas shocks.
i already have bucket seats, but i wanted the sportspack leather, but if ya'll say they are wonk i will buy some cobra classics or something.
i wanted the cheap arches because of the cutting involved because i dont really want to have to chop through a set of £150 arches. that is what the genuine ones are isn't it.

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

I got mine from P&L mini's for £120, plus £30 for the template which is a rip off, a guy on here sells the template for £10.
Plus DSN do them for £30 per arch.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

It's not a quickrack. A quickrack will give you more problems as it will get you into trouble more quickly. It's a sportspack steering rack and it is quite different to normal. I think it has about 3" less travel. Also a quickrack will be really hard work with 13" wheels and a decent size steering wheel. They get the faster lock to lock speed at the expense of gearing.

#7 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:32 AM

Just found out that the arches P&L sell are not genuine! I paid £120 for for those feckers.

I compared them to another set and the other set have a british leyland stamp in them and are stiffer with a matt finish undercoat. Mine have no stamp and under-coat is shiny.

What a bloody con!
:D

#8 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

sue them! have u a receipt or is it far too late for that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users