Photo

Eu Referendum

• Please log in to reply
942 replies to this topic

Poll: EU Referendum (166 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we stay in the eu?

1. Yes (57 votes [34.34%])

Percentage of vote: 34.34%

2. No (103 votes [62.05%])

Percentage of vote: 62.05%

3. Not voting / Undecided (6 votes [3.61%])

Percentage of vote: 3.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#931 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,443 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

As I understand it the £100,000 is the MINIMUM you will end up with if you need to have care provided in later life, and that is assuming you have more than a net worth of £100k before care starts to be needed.

Part of the problem is that in previous generations children took on the main responsibility of looking after infirm parents in later life. I know that my mother looked after my father who had serious dementure, then after he passed away and she was not too well she came to live with me and my wife. I wouldn't have had it any other way. It's called family responsibility. Too many children simply pass the responsibility onto the state to be funded by the taxpayers, yet still expect to collect their share of the 'inheritance'.

It's fine to have ideas of cradle-to-grave' state care with 'cash-for all', but it all has to be paid for in the end.

I've always been interested in politics and I can say with certainty that every time we have had a Labour Gov't their policy has been 'Tax, Borrow and Spend' with no regard to the realities of economics. It happened in 1964, 1974 and 1997. Each time there was a crisis when they left power in 1970, 1979 and 2010. So vote for them if you like, but try not to be disappointed when reality hits again, as it surely will.

You have to ask yourselves whether you want to be led by someone who is IRA sympathetic, anti-armed-forces, pro-Marxism, lacking in economic experience, committed to massive gov't borrowing, anti-business, naive in international negotiating and surrounded by the most unlikely fellow-travellers.  Do you really want him leading the Brexit negotiations with Diane Abbot at his side. He has not indicated that he will try to control any immigration either nor support NATO fully.

Labour are full of dreams. I would love a brand new Ferrari, but I know I can't afford one and it would have to be paid for in the end, so I don't try to get a loan to buy one.

I'm not rich. In the 1960's I was first of all an apprentice, then a draughtsman. In the 70's I worked (hard) as a design engineer trying to make my way, buy a home and raise a family. Later I put my home 'on-the-line' and at risk to have my own business. So. yes, I have seen a lot of what happens and I can tell you that our high employment levels here now are entirely due to the efforts of the Conservatives in attracting inwards investment by attractive tax regimes. 

Pensions were seriously affected by Gordon Brown's snatch of pension fund money and the proposed increase in corporation tax will deny dividends to pension funds who hold the majority of shares. 

My personal prediction if labour are elected is unemployment up to 3,000,000 in 5 years time and a country with huge international debts.

But in the end it's all our choice and democracy must rule. But God help this country if Corbyn ends up in control.

#932 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

Do you really want him leading the Brexit negotiations with Diane Abbot at his side.

OH GOD NO>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#933 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

I've always been interested in politics and I can say with certainty that every time we have had a Labour Gov't their policy has been 'Tax, Borrow and Spend' with no regard to the realities of economics. It happened in 1964, 1974 and 1997. Each time there was a crisis when they left power in 1970, 1979 and 2010. So vote for them if you like, but try not to be disappointed when reality hits again, as it surely will.

I was born in 1957 and have seen exactly the same cycle of events under Labour governments that Cooperman describes above..........it always ends in disaster with most people worse off and now they have moved back to the far left politics of the past (remember Michael Foot?) ready to cause waste and inefficiency with state intervention and nationalisation all over again.

After the last Labour government left office in 2010 leaving another huge deficit, their chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne left a note for his successor which said "there's no money left".

Byrne's note was discovered by David Laws the Liberal Democrat MP who was appointed by the Cameron coalition government to succeed Byrne at the Treasury.

It is a convention for outgoing ministers to leave a note for their successors with advice on how to settle into the job. But Byrne's note drew attention to Labour's economic record when it was revealed by Laws at a press conference. Laws told reporters: "When I arrived at my desk on the very first day as chief secretary, I found a letter from the previous chief secretary to give me some advice, I assumed, on how I conduct myself over the months ahead.

"Unfortunately, when I opened it, it was a one-sentence letter which simply said: 'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' which was honest but slightly less helpful advice than I had been expecting."

#934 Mito

Mito

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

Majors government had 3 million unemployed at one point. Black Wednesday wasn't a particularly good time and yet the conservatives were in power at the time. Are you sure you're not viewing the conservatives through rose tinted glasses?

Michael Gove once said "people in this country have had enough of experts", not really a statement which makes me trust the conservative party. He may no longer be in the cabinet but no doubt he would have been if he didn't go for the leadership contest. Jeremy Hunt has proven himself to be a pretty inept health secretary and yet he's still in post after imposing an entire (completely unnecessary) restructure of the nhs when the conservatives promised not to.

The problem with public services is that successive governments continually interfere and impose structural reforms so that the management can never get a proper grip of the organisations. Just as they start getting it together, in comes another government and then they're starting over again. Nationalised industries should theoretically be the most cost effective way of organising national resources but they aren't because of poor management from a government level. Union's are not the only problem!

Do you really trust these people?

Neither party is great and it's time that we voted for real change (not the lib Dems) and break this cycle of conservative followed by labour governments. They're both *******. And yet here we are arguing about which is the better party. Neither are in it for us!

Edited by Mito, 22 May 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#935 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

• Traders
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Majors government had 3 million unemployed at one point. Black Wednesday wasn't a particularly good time and yet the conservatives were in power at the time. Are you sure you're not viewing the conservatives through rose tinted glasses?

Michael Gove once said "people in this country have had enough of experts", not really a statement which makes me trust the conservative party. He may no longer be in the cabinet but no doubt he would have been if he didn't go for the leadership contest. Jeremy Hunt has proven himself to be a pretty inept health secretary and yet he's still in post after imposing an entire (completely unnecessary) restructure of the nhs when the conservatives promised not to.

The problem with public services is that successive governments continually interfere and impose structural reforms so that the management can never get a proper grip of the organisations. Just as they start getting it together, in comes another government and then they're starting over again. Nationalised industries should theoretically be the most cost effective way of organising national resources but they aren't because of poor management from a government level. Union's are not the only problem!

Do you really trust these people?

Neither party is great and it's time that we voted for real change (not the lib Dems) and break this cycle of conservative followed by labour governments. They're both *******. And yet here we are arguing about which is the better party. Neither are in it for us!

The Green party then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or the Ukip clowns!!!!!!!!!!

What choice is there.......

I can assure you all that the Tories will do a much better job that the Corbyn Cru.

#936 Mito

Mito

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

The mini forum party :)

#937 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

• Traders
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

The mini forum party :)

We are just as bad, we cannot agree on much!!!!

#938 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• Mini Docs
  • 19,443 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

All organisations make errors. All political parties have their flaws and who would deny that.

All one can do is to look at the record of the major contenders for office and make a judgement based on the likely result on the country as a whole, not just that of one interest group.

For example, Corbyn expects to get the votes of the students by promising to shove £11 billion of tax payers money into student costs without considering how that is to be found. It won't come from increased top rate tax on big earners, nor from higher corporate tax. It will, eventually come form ordinary tax payers who will actually be funding the future higher earnings of the few with higher education. That assumes that there will be jobs for the newly highly qualified. If the education subsidy was for studying engineering, medicine and other much needed skills there might not be an argument, but we will be paying for young people to get degrees in media studies, history of art and other equally useless subjects. Then when there are no jobs, we will be paying their jobseekers allowance, again from their taxes.

We know that Labour is funded by the trades unions, just as the Conservatives are funded by big business. But business is what created 'real' jobs, rather than artificial jobs demanded by the unions in the nationalised industries. The 'shake out' of artificial jobs is where the large numbers of unemployed came from in the Thatcher years. Fortunately, Thatcher and Major encouraged inwards investment with the promise of low corporate taxation, no union interference and positive encouragement for growth. Now, the results of that policy can be seen and, it has to be admitted, whilst Blair did some pretty silly things, like opening the immigration floodgates, he kept corporate tax low to promote real jobs. 

We must all make our minds up as to how to vote. I have lived and worked (hard) through both Labour and Conservatives. I can tell you that the Conservatives have always been faced with putting right Labour's 'Spend, Spend, Tax & Borrow' philosophy, not once, but several times. When the trades unions are in control of the Gov't their lack of commercial awareness quickly shows and, much as I understand the need for unions, we don't want them in control. Their interest is only in the wages of their members with no concern as to where this money is coming from, especially when the employers are loss-making concerns (BLMC is a prime example). 

So let those who wish to place their votes for an IRA sympathiser, friend of the terrorists, admitted admirer of Marx and one who would like to abolish our armed forces in their accepted form as defenders of our democracy, so long as they will accept more gov't control of their everyday lives, much higher personal taxation to pay for all the 'dreams', higher inflation, more lowering of the value of the pound and the turning of our backs on our traditional NATO allies and not complain about the much higher unemployment which always results from Labour. And imagine Diane Abbott as Home Secretary or position of similar status!

#939 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

And imagine Diane Abbott as Home Secretary or position of similar status!

I'm not going into the rest of your post as it's really not worth it, this thread has been nothing but an echo chamber since the start.

But that one point has a single reply - Boris Johnson.

#940 r3k1355

r3k1355

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

And imagine Diane Abbott as Home Secretary or position of similar status!

I'm not going into the rest of your post as it's really not worth it, this thread has been nothing but an echo chamber since the start.

But that one point has a single reply - Boris Johnson.

I just don't see the problem?

article-2182367-145395DD000005DC-773_306borisjohnson16zzc.jpg

boris-johnson-funny-photos.jpg

#941 greenwheels

greenwheels

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Nice to have such a fun guy amongst today's high level politicians.

#942 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

• Traders
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:44 PM

Well if the rugby picture was not Boris but Big Abbott 

1. she would have probably had a heart attack.

2. The small child would be flat.

#943 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 21,703 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

I'm an admirer of Darwin, even though the Eugenics practised by the Nazis followed from his theories.

I'm also an admirer of Marx for Das Kapital, it's not an argument to just defame his name expecting everyone to accept he's synonymous with the worst that happened  under Stalin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares