Attached Files

#47 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Then I fitted the #1 inlet valve pushrod and using a DTI found max lift, this came out at 106.1 deg (the picture doesn't show it but my marker was a hairs width past the a pushrod into the #1 i mark).

Attached Files

#48 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

I then turned the engine over until the DTI read 0.127mm which was at 90 deg

And then kept going past that point until the DTI returned to 0.127mm at 119.5 deg

Then come the maths bit following the guides on this forum ( AndyMiniMad - step by step engine build on this forum has been a fantastic guide, I owe him a beer if we ever meet).

90+119.5 = 209.5

209.5 / 2 = 104.75

So I make it that my cam is timed in at 104.74 deg after TDC, that is unless ive done this wrong (PLEASE TELL ME IF IVE GOT THIS WRONG) :)

As I mentioned before I'm going Dot to Dot on this build so unless this is how things will change (unless anyone has advice otherwise).

Attached Files

#49 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Today I've fitted the primary gear and checked the end float = 0.15mm (should I try and reduce this?)

Tomorrow Ill be trying to remove and replace the bearings in the flywheel housing so that I can check the idle gear clearance.....

Attached Files

#50 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Nice build, do you what kind of HP you can expect?

#51 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hi Chris...... To be honest I'm not sure 100+ would make me happy. At the moment I just want to see Eric back on the road :). As much as I'm enjoying the build I never planed for it take me this long.......

I'm having a final hard push as I want to get it back on the road in march so fingers crossed just a few weeks left (work dependant).....

Edited by Torgo, 11 February 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#52 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

- Idler bearing removed from flywheel case (bloody nightmare!!!)

- New bearing fitted.

- Speedo drive assembled and ready to fit.

Attached Files

#53 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

Case fitted to gearbox and Idler end float checked.

Attached Files

#54 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Its starting to look like an engine again :) :)........ today the gearbox was fitted to the block (after giving the crank a good luck pat) and for the first time in 10 months the engine was free standing.

Attached Files

#55 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Stand off and after lots of obsessive cleaning and bore checking it was time to fit the new head studs and gasket.

Attached Files

#56 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Another productive session in the garage today,

Head on and rockers fitted-ish.

Turn out I'm going to have to get spacers for my rocker posts........

Attached Files

#57 andrewmini67

andrewmini67

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Local Club: West Country minis

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Looking good Oliver, well done. Will be nice to see the supercharger very soon.... ;D

#58 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

cam timing looks to be measured right assuming that the protractor is set up at TDC ok, I always set them with a dead stop, ie somthing that stops the piston, eg, a plate bolted tot he block with  a stub/ bolt that goes down the bore, or a spark plug that has the porcelain shashed oput and a bolt throgh it.  then you can just gently wind it from one stop to the other and make sure the reading is the same for each.

105 sounds a bit advanced. what cam is it? if its somthing like a 286 its fine but if its somthing more forced induction orientated I'd expect closer to 110 degrees.

#59 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Looking good Oliver, well done. Will be nice to see the supercharger very soon.... ;D

Hello - funny you should mention the supercharger ......... I'm about to add some very exciting pics :)

#60 Torgo

Torgo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

cam timing looks to be measured right assuming that the protractor is set up at TDC ok, I always set them with a dead stop, ie somthing that stops the piston, eg, a plate bolted tot he block with  a stub/ bolt that goes down the bore, or a spark plug that has the porcelain shashed oput and a bolt throgh it.  then you can just gently wind it from one stop to the other and make sure the reading is the same for each.

105 sounds a bit advanced. what cam is it? if its somthing like a 286 its fine but if its somthing more forced induction orientated I'd expect closer to 110 degrees.

Hi

Thanks for the confirmation of my measurement method, although I didn't use a dead stop I'm pretty confident I did find TDC. Its a 263deg Cam as supplied with the kit. would you expect this timing to cause an issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users