Photo

The Difference Some T Cut And Elbow Grease Makes...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local Club: South Derbyshire

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:02 PM

Well that's the front end done, not bad for starters more to follow.Attached File  image.jpeg   27.37K   72 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by giles_g, 15 May 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

I'd be now rubbing a good polish into it, remove with a microfibre cloth then add a good wax. T-cut should only be used on small areas, not entire panels.

#3 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

I have been using a microfibre cloth, ok I'm welcome to recommondations Steve...

#4 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

And why is using T cut all over such a bad idea?

#5 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:00 AM

I had a metallic blue Volvo for a short while. On the passenger side wing there was a big scratch with white showing through, a matter of seconds it was completely gone and the paint quality was better than most modern cars! Out of interest though why shouldn't tcut be used on whole cars? I understand why they should be waxed after t cut.

#6 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

As I say was interested in hearing Steve's opinion... T cut has worked wonderfully for me.

#7 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

I'd be now rubbing a good polish into it, remove with a microfibre cloth then add a good wax. T-cut should only be used on small areas, not entire panels.

Sorry Steve, but that's just duff gen, nothing stopping you doing the whole car, however you do need to know what your doing, I periodically MOP my Porsche all over with a poorboys mild cutting compound , but as stated I know what I'm doing and check the paint depth every time prior to cracking out the MOP.
However when it comes to re waxing the car after, Steve is spot on!

Nice article here from the chipsaway geezers!

https://www.chipsawa...nd-when-not-to/

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

It is severely abrasive to your paint work, drying it out and exposing the laquer to the elements causing premature oxidation and fading of the paint work. It also doesn't break down as you use it like a polish. You can easily 'break through' laquer to the base coat too. There is a misconception about polishes and waxes. A polish is abrasive, it takes microscopic imperfections and oxidation away from the paintwork but leaves it exposed, then you put a wax on top to seal it. T-cut will also leave marring of the paintwork if you're not careful. Personally I'd only ever use a finishing polish, meguiars ultimate compound is amazing at getting old, tatty paintwork back to normal. Follow that up with Ultimate polish and then your choice of wax and you should get an amazing finish!

http://www.detailing...ead.php?t=37732

I did mine a year or so ago, but with a DA.

662360CC-9EED-427B-991B-67BC2228223E.jpg

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

Sorry Steve, but that's just duff gen, nothing stopping you doing the whole car, however you do need to know what your doing, I periodically MOP my Porsche all over with a poorboys mild cutting compound , but as stated I know what I'm doing and check the paint depth everything prior to the MOP.
However when it comes to re waxing the car after, Steve is spot on!
Nice article here from the chipsaway geezers!https://www.chipsawa...nd-when-not-to/

There's the caveat - you need to know what you're doing. Checking paint depths, applying equal pressure, checking the marring with a light gun etc. For average joe and a few bottles in the garage it is a very different story. I've seen cars go in for respray because their entire lives they've been T-cut every weekend. I hasten to add that I have very good friends with valeting and body shops so have heard many a horror story.

#10 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Sounds interesting and will read in depth later and check out the links and suggestions made.
However on a shoe string budget t cut will do nicely even without looking I'm guessing you're suggesting a very expensive alternative. Not even sure how long I intend to keep this mini for so won't be throwing loads of money at it only the necessary.

#11 Greigzy

Greigzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

I will back up Steve on that one - having been detailing for around 6 years, the last thing you really want to use it T-Cut.

If you were to go for a DA polisher and a range of pads and polishes, you would see some impressive results with a bit of practise, with a very small risk to your paint (DA's don't heat up like rotarys do).

Detailing World is a fantastic forum for guides and advice for anyone that wants to read up further.

#12 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

Maybe so but as mentioned in my last post it's not really applicable and won't be spending extra on waxes etc

#13 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

I will back up Steve on that one - having been detailing for around 6 years, the last thing you really want to use it T-Cut.

If you were to go for a DA polisher and a range of pads and polishes, you would see some impressive results with a bit of practise, with a very small risk to your paint (DA's don't heat up like rotarys do).

Detailing World is a fantastic forum for guides and advice for anyone that wants to read up further.

With in mind your experience in detailing would love to hear some feedback from you about how to get the decals in the exact position on the boot and back panels.

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Soapy water method! Google it, works everytime!

#15 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

Soapy water method! Google it, works everytime!

In relation to the decals? So how does that work then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users