Photo

The Difference Some T Cut And Elbow Grease Makes...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

My dad has used T cut for years on his dark blue A4 and the paintwork is beautiful.

Mini looks great giles_g :D

#17 Greigzy

Greigzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

I will back up Steve on that one - having been detailing for around 6 years, the last thing you really want to use it T-Cut.

If you were to go for a DA polisher and a range of pads and polishes, you would see some impressive results with a bit of practise, with a very small risk to your paint (DA's don't heat up like rotarys do).

Detailing World is a fantastic forum for guides and advice for anyone that wants to read up further.

With in mind your experience in detailing would love to hear some feedback from you about how to get the decals in the exact position on the boot and back panels.

Usually I go around the decal with masking tape and match it accordingly.

Soapy water method works nicely too. Depending what decals they are, there are some templates online also :)

#18 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

If you google it, there are online vids and tutorials. It means you can slide the decal to exactly where you want it, squeeze the water out then it will stick where you left it.

#19 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local Club: South Derbyshire

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

My dad has used T cut for years on his dark blue A4 and the paintwork is beautiful.
Mini looks great giles_g :D

Thanks Jamie, not bad on a budget hey lol

#20 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

I will back up Steve on that one - having been detailing for around 6 years, the last thing you really want to use it T-Cut.

If you were to go for a DA polisher and a range of pads and polishes, you would see some impressive results with a bit of practise, with a very small risk to your paint (DA's don't heat up like rotarys do).

Detailing World is a fantastic forum for guides and advice for anyone that wants to read up further.

With in mind your experience in detailing would love to hear some feedback from you about how to get the decals in the exact position on the boot and back panels.

Soapy water method works nicely too. Depending what decals they are, there are some templates online also :)

Cool I will make a seperate post on it anyway, it's a mini designer so will want to reinstate all three logos.

#21 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:15 PM

If you google it, there are online vids and tutorials. It means you can slide the decal to exactly where you want it, squeeze the water out then it will stick where you left it.

Ok will do, but as much info I can gather the better prepared I'll be

#22 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

We had a Car valet at my place of work(many years ago) They(car dealership) had a contract with the Liverpool City Police (as was) + Liverpool Corporation.To take their older vehicles and pass them on to the general public.Supplying the Police with new vehicles.

I can remember they had a "JOB LOT" of 8 Mini Cooper Ss in and about 20 Mini PANDA Cars.They were in a sorry state,as in those days the cop drivers (usually Traffic Motorcyclists) used to "RAG THE DOGS" off the Coopers.

Any how the Valet used to wash the cars off,T-CUT them all over,then go around each panel and apply polish ON TOP of the T-CUT and polish it out.Now you purists will POO POO this practice.....But it worked,brought the paint work up a treat, WITH NO SCRATCHES.

He also used T-CUT on a bit of FINE WIRE WOOL to clean the glass on the cars,again with no scratches.He then buffed up the glass with VINEGAR on NEWSPAPER.

Maybe the vinegar killed of any greasy deposit of the T-Cut.??

When he detailed the engines,He applied  JIZER,to degrease the engine,brushed in,light warm water spray off.Then detailed brake lines/carb/alternator/rad with the same Fine Wire Wool.

Then painted up engine.Then laquer They'd look the BEES KNEES.

Think he got the Princely Price of £4.00 per car, The Boss owned a Aston Martin DBS Superleggerer and would only let this guy clean his car.

Edited by Scousemouse, 16 May 2016 - 05:42 PM.

#23 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

And what is jizer, or shouldn't I ask lol...

#24 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

For all you youngsters out there  JIZER  is a DEGREASER,  it's still made to this day (by Swarfega)

#25 Minilegs

Minilegs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

For all you youngsters out there  JIZER  is a DEGREASER,  it's still made to this day (by Swarfega)

Warning, it has its own unique disgusting smell !!

#26 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

If the youngster element was aimed at me, thanks a million, if not no worries lol

#27 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

SRIGHT minilegs,that's gotta mean it's good ;D

Giles_g  I took it,that if you'd never heard or used JIZER you must be in your youth :D Jizer + Gunk seemed to be the main degreasers years ago.

#28 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:50 PM

I don't feel very youthful I was more interested in music not minis in those days. Given up the idea of making it big with a band years ago.

#29 giles_g

giles_g

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi Greg, so you say the templates are available online? Not found any yet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users