308 replies to this topic

#136 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

I was told the spi tank was no use as the pump didnt have the pressure for the Micra. I bought an Mpi tank because they had the required pressure supposedly.

Im going to route all my stuff through the interior, fuel, brakes and battery cable. It was that way before when I raced it.

#137 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:08 AM

I was planning on fitting the Micra pump to the Spi tank if it can be done.  Spi tanks are easier to find than Mpi ones and are usually cheaper.  If not then I'll fit something like a Walbro as I have seen these being fitted with a few mods.

Plan is to get the engine fitted and aligned.  Driveshafts and suspension fitted.  Cooling and heating pipes.  Exhaust ant inlet manifold fitted.  Then on to it's wheels and turn it round so that I can sort the back end out.  I have only recently had a look at the back end and the subframe looks solid with a lot of surface rust.  Time will tell when I get it removed, stripped and hopefully blasted.  I am going all out to stop the rust!

#138 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:15 AM

I was planning on fitting the Micra pump to the Spi tank if it can be done.  Spi tanks are easier to find than Mpi ones and are usually cheaper.  If not then I'll fit something like a Walbro as I have seen these being fitted with a few mods.

That's what I did, it's a bit spin you're own but then it's an engine conversion...

#139 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

That's what I did, it's a bit spin you're own but then it's an engine conversion...

Which pump did you fit Mpi or Walbro?

#140 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

Sorry, probably wasn't clear, I fitted the micra pump, but I think I remember some of the micra guys fitting skyline pumps to thier micras which may be an option as they are supposed to be smaller, the micra is quite a bit larger than the spi pump I took out and required the holder modifying.

#141 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Few options there then. Should be ok surely. I was just lucky to get an Mpi tank at the right time for the right money. I know how hard they can be to find, I was looking for months.

#142 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:21 PM

Sorry, probably wasn't clear, I fitted the micra pump, but I think I remember some of the micra guys fitting skyline pumps to thier micras which may be an option as they are supposed to be smaller, the micra is quite a bit larger than the spi pump I took out and required the holder modifying.

Good to know it can be done.  Should save me a few quid on a new pump!

#143 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

The spi tank and fuel lines are fine for the job. I just replaced the spi pump with an uprated pump from ebay. It was more or less a direct replacement. If I remember it was 270 lph. Does the job fine.

Edited by Shingler4596, 11 November 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#144 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

OK tank and pump on the back burner and back to getting the engine back in.

Fitted the brake pipes for no other reason than it let me work out where to drill holes and fit inserts for the pipe fixings.  Not so easy to get a drill in with an engine in the way.

20161114_233135.jpg

I will add some self adhesive pipe clips on the subframe once the engine is back in and I am happy with the routing.

#145 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

I have an MPI tank in the Glasgow area if you're interested. PM me.

#146 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Just a quick question, ive started thinking about making the brake lines for the front and have considered routing them along the bulkhead like you have done.. but would they need rubber brake hoses before attaching to the subframe due to vibrations/ v.small movements?

Edited by benm, 19 November 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#147 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

Just a quick question, ive started thinking about making the brake lines for the front and have considered routing them along the bulkhead like you have done.. but would they need rubber brake hoses before attaching to the subframe due to vibrations/ v.small movements?

Original pipes run from bulkhead to subframe without rubber pipes. You shouldn't have any problems with them. The pipes on mine run from the bulkhead to subframe.

#148 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

OK tank and pump on the back burner and back to getting the engine back in.

Fitted the brake pipes for no other reason than it let me work out where to drill holes and fit inserts for the pipe fixings.  Not so easy to get a drill in with an engine in the way.

20161114_233135.jpg

I will add some self adhesive pipe clips on the subframe once the engine is back in and I am happy with the routing.

Just a quick note, you will struggle to remove the subframe in the future without damaging the fuel lines.

#149 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:25 AM

I have an MPI tank in the Glasgow area if you're interested. PM me.

Thanks for the offer. I am ok with the Spi tank and Micra pump.

#150 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

Original pipes run from bulkhead to subframe without rubber pipes. You shouldn't have any problems with them. The pipes on mine run from the bulkhead to subframe.

Yes. I think if you keep any fixings far apart it wont be a problem. I am also using kunifer instead of copper. Copper can apparently work harden with vibration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users