308 replies to this topic

#151 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

OK tank and pump on the back burner and back to getting the engine back in.

Fitted the brake pipes for no other reason than it let me work out where to drill holes and fit inserts for the pipe fixings.  Not so easy to get a drill in with an engine in the way.

20161114_233135.jpg

I will add some self adhesive pipe clips on the subframe once the engine is back in and I am happy with the routing.

Just a quick note, you will struggle to remove the subframe in the future without damaging the fuel lines.

Lol. I am hoping not to have to take the subframe out too often. I have had to cut the front apron to get it in so need to weld that back together. It will need cut again to get it back out.
I will shorten the fuel pipes in the engine bay once i work out where the flexi lines will fit. That should help a bit.

#152 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

Just a quick question, ive started thinking about making the brake lines for the front and have considered routing them along the bulkhead like you have done.. but would they need rubber brake hoses before attaching to the subframe due to vibrations/ v.small movements?

Original pipes run from bulkhead to subframe without rubber pipes. You shouldn't have any problems with them. The pipes on mine run from the bulkhead to subframe.

Thanks. it been so long since i stripped the car i couldn't remember how the originals were ha

#153 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

Just a quick question, ive started thinking about making the brake lines for the front and have considered routing them along the bulkhead like you have done.. but would they need rubber brake hoses before attaching to the subframe due to vibrations/ v.small movements?

Original pipes run from bulkhead to subframe without rubber pipes. You shouldn't have any problems with them. The pipes on mine run from the bulkhead to subframe.

Thanks. it been so long since i stripped the car i couldn't remember how the originals were ha

I take it you will be solid mounting (or polly mounting) your subframe. There shouldn't be much movement.

#154 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:38 PM

the mounts which attach the rear of the subframe are solid, but ive got poly for the towers

#155 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

My mounts are poly at front and towers with standard rubber at the bulkhead.

Well that's the engine in and driveshafts and hubs on. Engine needs to come forward at the right but it looks like it's all going to fit.
That's me back to where I was on 23rd October!
20161120_225212.jpg

#156 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

The engine conversion hookey pookey...
Put the engine in....
Put the engine out...
Put the engine in and you shake it all about.

Edited by fuzzy-hair-man, 21 November 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#157 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

The engine conversion hookey pookey...
Put the engine in....
Put the engine out...
Put the engine in and you shake it all about.

LOL

Now if you could only train it to jump in and out when you whistle...

#158 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

This build is full of half done bits that I am now digging out from boxes and finishing off and fitting.
A while back I made up a frame in stainless to bolt the radiator to the inner wing. All polished up and bolted in with a new 15psi radiator cap on it's way.

20161128_225602.jpg

Started back on the exhaust manifold too. It was tacked together but I have had to take the middle two header pipes off the flange to get in with the TIG where the primary pipes meet. There is going to be a lot of tacking, trial fit and adjusting before I am happy with it. No point in rushing it.
20161128_225633.jpg

I had also started the water pipe from the bottom of the radiator to the pump. It's stainless and I need to adjust the bends a bit before I weld a bracket on to secure it to the engine block. I realised that I need the starter motor back on before the pipe can be finalised. So I am painting the starter motor tomorrow.
20161128_225703.jpg

#159 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

Doh!  Starter does not fit with radiator in!

No big deal.  Fan and shroud off and it popped in nice and easy.

There is a vent/breather tube coming out of the top of the gearbox.  What do I need to connect this to?

20161129_213652.jpg

#160 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

In the micra it went to the manifold.

#161 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

In the micra it went to the manifold.

OK'  I'll tee it in to either the pipe to the fuel pressure regulator or the pipe to the top of the rocker cover.

#162 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Just to atmosphere in mine via a funny bent hose that gets it away from ingesting water. Pretty sure cause I went over the inlet manifold hoses pretty thoroughly... Only thing not plugged in its a brake booster. On the other hand I guess it couldn't hurt? Or put one of those breather filters on it?

#163 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Just to atmosphere in mine via a funny bent hose that gets it away from ingesting water. Pretty sure cause I went over the inlet manifold hoses pretty thoroughly... Only thing not plugged in its a brake booster. On the other hand I guess it couldn't hurt? Or put one of those breather filters on it?

That would be easier. I suppose I could try it to atmosphere first and then modify later if required.

#164 Anchoright

Anchoright

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:26 AM

Dang this is looking nice!

#165 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

Still working on exhaust manifold. I extended the secondary pipes to move the Y junction back a bit. It will need a bracket welded on that should attach to the bottom of the rear engine mount. I will also polish up the pipes so it looks better.

20161202_220923.jpg

Welding up the transition between primary pipes 2 and 3 was a nightmare. I needed the tungsten protruding way out on the TIG torch and ended up with a huge weld. The amount of heat used had pulled the pipes together by about 20mm so it would not fit back on the flange. I had to slit it with the angle grinder and re-weld it twice! It is fitting now and needs the primarys welded to the flange. I think I'll ask a workmate to do this as his welding is way better than mine!
20161202_235945.jpg

Inlet plenum is temporarily on to work out space for the rear water pipe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users