#31 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:31 AM

seriously impressive subframe. better than the ones you buy!

#32 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in the Gong

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

It's going to be difficult to determine any improvement from the flywheel mod as there are lots of other mods (mostly to the breathing) going in at the same time. From all that i have read on Micra forums they respond well to a lighter flywheel. I'm still a good while from finding out!

More worried about drivability and how much it might effect acceleration, I agree it's hard to gauge a change when you haven't driven it yet. Any impressions are useful.

#33 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Ive got a lightened flywheel and find its a better drive than with standard weight. The micra has good acceleration but the lightened setup is great. In the right conditions it will spin up in 3rd, but also is very handleable at slower speeds.
Nelly is a bit 'stall happy' from cold but i dont have the auto choke fitted anymore - that said ive now learnt how to drive her properly now and i rarely stall her :)
I say go for it!

#34 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

Ive got a lightened flywheel and find its a better drive than with standard weight. The micra has good acceleration but the lightened setup is great. In the right conditions it will spin up in 3rd, but also is very handleable at slower speeds.
Nelly is a bit 'stall happy' from cold but i dont have the auto choke fitted anymore - that said ive now learnt how to drive her properly now and i rarely stall her :)
I say go for it!

Thanks Junky, that's what I was after I'll do it when I fix Spot up a bit more or something breaks and need to take the engine out.

Spot and Nelly would a great pair, both running rat rod spec.  :shades:

https://goo.gl/photo...vC48hMpb3SXmst8 <photo>

Edited by fuzzy-hair-man, 22 June 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#35 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

I say go for it!

That's the kind of info I was finding on the Micra forums. What weight is your flywheel?

#36 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

seriously impressive subframe. better than the ones you buy!

Thanks. It's been a labour of love and feels like ages since I started it. Probably weighs twice what a bought one does. I'll weigh it when it's complete.

#37 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

I dont know what weight it is as its a 'frank special' from the micra forum. Im sure he will be able to tell you!

I want to give spot a home.. if youre ever selling.... well im first!!!

#38 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

Oops, double post.

Edited by 666junky, 23 June 2016 - 01:33 PM.

#39 fuzzy-hair-man

fuzzy-hair-man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:06 AM

I want to give spot a home.. if youre ever selling.... well im first!!!

Ha Ha, unfortunately Spot is half a world away (in Australia)

I'm very proud of Spot (even if it doesn't look like it) so I reckon he / she (Spot is gender neutral) is mine for a long while yet...

#40 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

I have been away on holiday so not much progress.  finished welding my pocket on the inner wing for the alternator.

20160713_212138.jpg

It's about a couple of inches into the wheel well and I was worried about it hitting the subframe down tubes so had to fit it back in to make sure.  Clears by about 10mm!

20160713_141309.jpg

A wee bit filler and get it all prepared and its ready for painting the engine bay.

#41 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:38 AM

It's time to fit the Jig, Subframe and Engine back together so I can build up the suspension and work out my driveshafts.

My subframe no longer fits my jig!

I think I have worked it out.  I fitted and welded in a half pipe strengthener across  the underside of the subframe.  I feel this is an often overlooked area of some home-made subframes and needs to be strong as it connects the bottom of the towers together.  Anyhow, when I welded it in I stupidly did not have the frame fitted to the jig.  The result is that the bottom of the towers have pulled in and the rear mounts (to the bulkhead floor) are not lining up with the holes in the jig. 

As can't get the back forward enough the front is too low.

20160804_231600_1.jpg

20160804_231334.jpg

20160804_231309.jpg

I can borrow  a 2 tonne ram and if I apply a but of heat to the bends on the pipe I fitted, it should hopefully straighten it up.  Big hammer might be required!

#42 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Using a 4 ton hydraulic body repair jack I got the subframe to fit in the jig.  Well it kind of fits!

Still a wee problem with alignment.  When I made my jig up I added lower suspension arm pivot point references that use a pin and a spacer to check alignment.  These were more for checking alignment of the bottom arm pins as I was shortening the pins and welding in a plate at the front of the arm.

The bottom of the towers are definitely in a bit.

20160805_231625.jpg

20160805_231727.jpg

It's about 2mm in each side so not a huge problem.  I have the subframe and jig in work today to use the oxy acetylene as I couldn't get enough heat in it with a blow torch.  This is big hammer engineering to fix this wee problem!

#43 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hi, like the bar under the rear you've done. What like is yer clearance for the gearshift? Was moving mine, and thinking about ways to beef up this area. I think the part to the floor mount on mine needs to be stronger too, because I tore that area on the frame I used years ago doing a sprint event. It was welded up back then, but it's an area that bothers me too. Barry.

Edited by micraminiman, 08 August 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#44 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

I am not sure about the gear linkage clearance. That's kind of why I'm doing this final dry build. To check everything fits and also work out driveshaft lengths.

I got the subframe bent back in to shape and it all lines up perfectly.

I have a couple of days off so as long as I get my list of diy done, I can play on the mini! Another progress report tonight.

#45 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

Keep at it, be great to see it finished.

Do they still have the Scottish Mini Weekend? Used to be in Stirling many years ago, and I really enjoyed them. Be a nice trip when I finally get mine done if they are still run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users