55 replies to this topic

#46 Becko

Becko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:55 PM

was it me or did the car have mk2 badges on the front and mk2 lights and yet it was supposed to be a 1962?

#47 Becko

Becko

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Yeah i spotted the mk2 rear light holes , then as if by magic they were mk1...

I also say stop the blagging bit and show what It is these companies do

#48 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

I'm pretty sure they did that wheel inspector bit with the same company in another episode, or was I just having a deja-vue moment?
I do think that whole No37 thing is a bit overdone - says me who did almost the same thing without the numbers! Personally I'm not a fan ofcolour coded piping on seats but the car did look great and looking at the paint jobs on his previous cars I don't imagine the new owner will be too upset by the colour change!

#49 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

I watched an episode of 'Misfit Garage' last night. I don't particularly like that show, but they were doing a beautiful 1964 Galaxie 500. Then, when it was complete it was taken to the Barrett-Jackson auction in Arizona and just before it was shown coming onto the sales ramp there was a red/white Mini Cooper 'S' in shot. Wow, it was the 1071 'S' which I built in 1990, rallied and sold to my friend in the USA.

I couldn't believe it, but it even had the UK registration number, 360AUN together with its Californian number  '1071S'.

#50 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:03 PM

Wow small world, did it fetch a decent amount?

#51 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:06 PM

Having talked to Keith the other week when i bought the wheels off the car in question it was re shelled at some point in time so that may well account for some of the discrepancies. Also a very nice bloke to talk to. Had a bit of a chin wag.

Now just need another centre cap for those wheels once refurbed.

And it made me laugh when Tim Shaw said the wheels were scrap. Did they even bother to get them checked?? i think the answer is no as none of the rims had the tires removed and to be brutally honest apart from a chip out of one the rest is surface corrosion from sitting all that time.

#52 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Wow small world, did it fetch a decent amount?

No, it was a disaster.

My friend put it up for auction in the USA despite my suggesting that he send it back to the UK and I would get the seats, fire extinguisher and belts up-dated and the FIA papers current (it is a full-on 1964 Group 2 Cooper 'S' 1071) and put it in a Coy's auction at, probably, Silverstone.

He asked what it was worth and I said in England probably around £40,000 to £50,000 considering it has competition history and is in absolutely superb condition. I thought that in the USA it would make maybe $40,000.

It went without reserve for $20,900 and after seller's premium he took $17,500. So it was a gift for someone. It was re-auctioned a short time later in the USA and went for considerably more I believe it is now back in the UK, but I haven't traced it yet. Keep a look out for 360AUN.

#53 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Wow took a proper beating there - you did all you could though.

#54 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

Wow took a proper beating there - you did all you could though.

He certainly did take a beating. When you look at what fully prepared race and rally cars in top condition make at auction now he realises that he should have shipped it to me and I would have done the work needed to up-date the FIA Historic papers and indentity forms.

With it being a rare 1071 and in absolutely superb condition it could have made approaching £55,000 according to a friend who does a lot of business in auctions of historic race/rally cars.

#55 mini1976

mini1976

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but having just watched the program what was the deal with the engine? I presumed that part of the big deal about an old cooper s would be the engine. Them talked plenty about the gearbox but then right at the end said the engine had been souped up to 1300cc. Does that mean that they just replaced the engine for a 1275 or was it always a 1275?

#56 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

It probably had a rebore to 1293 which is the first size rebore you can do on a standard 1275.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users