#1 rpcars

rpcars

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been seriously looking into getting a mini project recently. I live in Dubai and would like nothing more than to watch the smile fall of the rich kids faces when I give there Lamborghini a run for its money in an old mini.

I have the facilities and time to build a car, I used to work as a race car builder and am also a trained mechanic so I have that side of things covered. I don't have bucket loads of cash to throw at a project and I would like to get it all done in 12 months. I can probably get around 10k together in order to complete it in that time.

A Z-cars RWD Hyabusa swap seems to be the ultimate to me but in order to go for that I would need more cash which equals more time (and I'm impatient). I've seen various subframe kits for FWD R1 engine conversions.  

What I'd like to know from you guys is your opinions on the best bang per buck, what are the pro's and cons of each? Would I be better off saving up for the Z-cars conversion or are the R1 conversions a good compromise? What company does the best R1 kit as there are a few suppliers around? I want to use the car for autotests and track days. I like the idea of RWD but is it worth the extra cost? I also like the idea of a high reving bike engine with a sequential box but how does the bike engine compare to the V-tec kits? again pro's and con's of each would be good.

I want to make sure I have a proper plan and get as much info as possible before I start the project, I don't want to get halfway through and wish id gone for a different option.

Cheers Matt

#2 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

Well Z-Cars are no longer in business so that limits your options.  Popular R1 kits are from Pro-Motive and LynxAE.

#3 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

Well Z-Cars are no longer in business so that limits your options.  Popular R1 kits are from Pro-Motive and LynxAE.

Ignore the above, Zcars have been bought and will be back trading very soon. Please see here:http://www.theminifo...date/?p=3390095

#4 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

An R1 fwd mini will not match any supercar not even close, to get the type of performance you want, a high power hayabusa  generation 2 or something similar zzr1400 rwd would be the only realistic way to go. With 10 grand you would need to build it yourself which is possible for your budget

A ZX12r engine has good power and can usually be found for around half the price of a hayabusa

David

#5 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

Ignore the above, Zcars have been bought and will be back trading very soon. Please see here:http://www.theminifo...date/?p=3390095

I should have said are currently not trading, which when he is in a hurry, isn't much use :(

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

and as to

I should have said are currently not trading, which when he is in a hurry, isn't much use :(

and as to when there will be kit available it is still unknown.

http://www.theminifo...nson/?p=3389343

#7 BLING BLING WHEELZ

BLING BLING WHEELZ

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Your looking at a minimum of 15k to build a z car but realistically you would need closer to 20

The chepaest z car kit that was in production was at 10k but when you start getting wheels seats etc it all adds up

A haybusa lump is not cheap

#8 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: Crews missels

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

Its always quicker and chaeper to buy one already done, one is for sale on facebook. page classic mini hayabusa. give him a ring.

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

Its always quicker and chaeper to buy one already done, one is for sale on facebook. page classic mini hayabusa. give him a ring.

His location according to his profile is Dubai

#10 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

Wow a long way to go. More like it's at a stop, here in UK. so want to move it on.
If you want a hayabusa engine, I may be able to sell one if I get organised. As have a standard one in my mini. Bought from Z cars. Only did 5000miles. Also have a tuned one. Which I want to swap. But depends if your wanting a busa engine soon?

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

A mini with a Busa turbo lump will be incredibly quick, but it'll look like a mini with a Busa turbo lump in the back.

A mini with an R1 Turbo or supercharger in the front wont keep up with a Ferrari, if you want to do that, leave the engine in the R1.

An R1 Turbo mini would be loads of fun, especially if you can keep it looking fairly standard. An R1 engine is lighter than a mini engine, and with a turbo and mappable ignition would be an absolute animal.

http://www.tts-perfo...-yamaha-r1/csyc

Obviously this kit fits into the bike chassis, it may be a lot easier to do with the engine in a mini as there will be quite a bit of space to the sides.

The limiting factors, are money, skill and time, more of one and the others become less of an issue

#12 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:08 AM

I have no problems keeping up with supercars in my supercharged VTEC kit. 0-60=3.3secs 0-100=8secs (same as Ferrari 458), great road manners, can happily cruise round town. I admit that it cant go round corners quite as quick as a bike engined car, simple case of physics - same car but heavier = slower round corners. However trust me when I say its no slouch in the corners.....

#13 KTM kid

KTM kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

I will second that for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users