#16 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:16 PM

It's in the pinned thread about problems about disconnecting the lambda - it's done at the plug.

It's a check not a cure, running your engine rich doesn't do it any good and the catalyst will get stuffed.

It doesn't self adjust - it defaults into a safe setting which is richer than needed under most conditions.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 09 June 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#17 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Local Club: AutoJungle

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

Okay will give that a try, took it back to get it checked again and the co2 reading is considerably less with the temporary rubber hoses, so I'll fit the new ones when they arrive (hopefully tomorrow).

I'll try the lambda test too, I think I may just do lambda sensor, temperature sensor whilst I'm in the area and hope the cat isn't fudged...

Edited by WoodlandsMini, 09 June 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#18 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

Scot

I do not doubt your knowledge and experience

but mine was different

the easiest ways to see how you are running rich are looking at the crud build up on your tail pipe

and pulling the plugs

since running unplugged my plugs are perfect - tan brown no oilyness and no sootiness

but as you say in the long run it certainly could foul up the also expensive cat system

plus my mpg is brilliant now - perfect starting and perfect idle

sometimes for me machines are a mystery

also to the OP I would, if it was me, just replace your vacuum hoses with the continuous silicone hose available online - for less than a few pounds you buy a few meters worth cut it to length, avoid any sharp bends and there are no joins and you are good for a long time - the important thing is to get tube that is not too thin as you don't want it to suck itself out of shape, so check the id and od - all the best

#19 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

Update: started to remove the lambda and CTS today, ordered replacement CTS from ECP but it was the wrong part, I think its the air temp sensor in the air box.

Ordered the correct part now so it should be delivered monday. Unfortunately the lambda sensor has rounded off, despite having the lambda socket :( so now just to remove the exhaust manifold and try and prize the thing out!

#20 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

Running with the lambda unplugged means the car is never operating in the closed loop system that it's supposed to. This means that a vital part of the information required for the ecu to calculate the required fueling and ignition throughout the rev range is missing.
Looking at the plugs is a good initial indication of the fueling conditions - but only at the point leading up to when the car was stopped

#21 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:45 AM

Exhaust manifold now off the rounded Lambda will be removed... somehow!

Any tips?

#22 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

Any tips?

are you sure its knackered?

#23 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

Any tips?

are you sure its knackered?

Im not 100% sure that it was... but I can confirm that it now definitely is!

I decided to go down the route of replacing parts until I find the correct part... vacuum hoses didnt fully solve the issue, so Lambda and CTS this time and hope that solves it!

The car seems to be running well... just rich so hopefully this solves the issue!

#24 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

good luck

#25 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

Diagnostics is beginning to look cheap....you have no way with your method of checking what the ECU is doing or if the MAP sensor itself is U/S.
These cars were designed to go to the dealer be plugged in and the MEMS ECU read for faults and the component values checked and compared with standards. That's a fact and there is no way around it.

The advice people give on here is based on their experience which since many faults are common (especially due to lack of proper servicing) will resolve quite a high percentage of issues.

FS

#26 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

I understand where your coming from with the diagnostics and in an ideal world it's great, the only place I have found locally is £100 for diagnostics and I would need to figure out how to get it there since it's not roadworthy

If I had just payed for the diagnostics then I would still not have the parts to sort. So in my eyes I'm winning at the moment :) might not be so happy if it fails again though haha

Good news on the manifold it's off and the old lambda is out and new one in place manifold on soon and fingers crossed

#27 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

Diagnostics is beginning to look cheap....you have no way with your method of checking what the ECU is doing or if the MAP sensor itself is U/S.
These cars were designed to go to the dealer be plugged in and the MEMS ECU read for faults and the component values checked and compared with standards. That's a fact and there is no way around it.

The advice people give on here is based on their experience which since many faults are common (especially due to lack of proper servicing) will resolve quite a high percentage of issues.

FS

I have gotta echo flyingscots comment. you need a diagnostics. 

I bought one on Ebay used it to sort my spi. The problem turned out to be a lack a 5v supply from the ECU for some of the sensors. Even if i had replaced all sensors I would still have had to get the ECU repaired. 

Once I was finished with the code reader I resold it on Ebay and made a 10 pounds loss. 

#28 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

What sort of price is a diagnostic my search brought back nothing :/ must be searching wrong

#29 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:40 PM

Scrap that found one, I will continue to put it back together and see how if it's improved first

#30 WoodlandsMini

WoodlandsMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

Tried the new vacuum hoses today... I think I was mistaken in thinking that the ones on there originally were "okay but not great"... the new ones are so much better!

Almost all back together now, so fingers crossed should have it running tomorrow and back on the emmisions sniffer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users