23 replies to this topic

#1 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

I was looking into this about a year ago for the clubby estate.

I did try searching the forum to see if there were any discussions on it but got nowhere.

Has anyone gone down this route? I love the idea of the whole shell being dipped in a bath so every square mm is addressed (in theory!).

http://www.envirostripukltd.com/

I got a quote from Matt Duncan last year.

"Evening Adam,

Thank you for your enquiry

The following costs will apply;

Paint Strip & De-Rust - £895.00

2 PK Etch Primer - £445.00

All prices exc Vat

Best Regards
Matt Duncan
Process Manager"

I know that may seem like a lot of money but it's got to be by far the best route, right?

Think I also read on their site somewhere about a double-visit is the ultimate way to go. Visit one, strip and prime. Go home, do all the necessary repairs. Visit two, go back and dip again, followed by the 2k etch primer.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I think it's a no brainer, funds permitting of course!

Adam

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

If you do have it done, cut off the outer sills and front wings so everywhere gets treated, these will probably need replacing anyway, I am split on chemical dipping though as I would worry about it leaching out of seams further down the line.
The quote is not bad though I have been quoted £150 per time for subframes doors bonnet and bootlid so have decided to go for blasting instead as price far too much in my opinion.

#3 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Well, if you tot up the "double-dip" it's £3216 inc vat plus all your repairs and panels and then you have to paint it. It seems a very expensive way of doing it and as Daz says there's always the worry of it eventually working its way out of the seams.

I would think that a systematic replacement of specific panels would be more cost effective. However if you have the means, then why not?

#4 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

And actually the cost to me personally would be more as I live in Ireland so would have to get the shell to the UK. Twice!

I do think they'd do a bit of a deal if you were doing it twice though...

#5 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

If a double dip is over £3K, you may aswell get a brand new shell.

#6 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

They don't make clubman estate shells

#7 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

Beat me to it rocket!

#8 STG95F

STG95F

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:42 PM

I have heard of some high end restorations that have been dipped , then a few months after been painted its starts to bleed through all over your nice expensive paint work  :angry:

I have done a few restorations over the years and all ways shy always from dipping .  If you get it blasted by the right person you will be fine and will cost far less  

Ian 

#9 Toeknee

Toeknee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

I looked into this a year or so back for my GT.  Envirostrip claim the process they use doesn't use harsh chemicals that would normally be trapped in the seams.  I'd be interested in hearing first hand experience of this though!

Edit: Here you go.. quoted from their website 

"The Enviro-Strip approach to car paint decontamination offers a number of key advantages over shot blasting and chemical stripping:

• No harsh chemicals are trapped in the seams & box section which can cause issues later in life
  • No indentation to the shell from shot blasting
  • No sand / grit trapped in seam joints
  • Saves time and money for the customer when the shell goes into the paint shop
  • The body shell stays on one secure process frame throughout the process eliminating any damage to the shell"

Edited by Toeknee, 13 June 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#10 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

How they gonna get the paint off with no harsh chemicals? Harsh language? Mean glares?

#11 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

How they gonna get the paint off with no harsh chemicals? Harsh language? Mean glares?

feather duster

#12 Toeknee

Toeknee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

If only harsh language did work. Mine would have been in bare metal months ago!

Apparently its done with "thermal pyrolysis". Smarter people than me may understand how the process works...

#13 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

They don't make clubman estate shells

Lol! I didn't read that bit.

BARGAIN THEN!!!

#14 Surgeryman

Surgeryman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

I have had my Mk1 Cooper body stripped of all paint, rust and underseal by Enviro Strip and I am very pleased with the results. I chose to have it back for welding repairs without the primer coat, and in this case they do advise a re-dip before painting. However the re-dip is only one part of the process and is less expensive than the initial three stage process. The alternative is to take the full four stage process including a 2-pack primer coat to protect the stripped body from rust prior to paint. It all depends on how much welding repair work is required.

The guy doing my welding and paint has experience of Enviro Strip on several body shells and is pleased with the results. In contrast he has had poor experience of the stripping by another company leaving residual acid.

I hope that this helps
Peter

#15 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

I have had my Mk1 Cooper body stripped of all paint, rust and underseal by Enviro Strip and I am very pleased with the results. I chose to have it back for welding repairs without the primer coat, and in this case they do advise a re-dip before painting. However the re-dip is only one part of the process and is less expensive than the initial three stage process. The alternative is to take the full four stage process including a 2-pack primer coat to protect the stripped body from rust prior to paint. It all depends on how much welding repair work is required.

The guy doing my welding and paint has experience of Enviro Strip on several body shells and is pleased with the results. In contrast he has had poor experience of the stripping by another company leaving residual acid.

I hope that this helps
Peter

Brilliant! Someone who has actually had the experience, thanks! Was this done recently? or are you in the middle of it (welding repairs, etc.)

Would you care to divulge how much you've paid Envirostrip for the work you got done? And any pics??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users