23 replies to this topic

#16 Surgeryman

Surgeryman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

I had my 55 year-old mini body (plus doors, bonnet, boot and subframes) stripped to bare metal by Enviro Strip some months ago and I am now at welding stage. The costs you have been quoted are current, and I believe the re-dip is about half the cost of the original paint removal process. There are no traces of paint or underseal left and no detectable damage to the metal.
I am very pleased with this result and strongly recommend the company.

I attach a couple of pictures.

Attached File  image.jpeg   119.86K   46 downloads
Attached File  image.jpeg   116.8K   39 downloads

#17 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

That looks amazing. I suppose you've a number of months to get the welding repairs done before too much surface rust builds up.

Then you go back for a re-dip and 2k primer right?

What exactly is 2k primer? Is it 2-pack paint? I thought that wasn't used any more?

Adam

#18 Surgeryman

Surgeryman

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:51 PM

The third stage of the EnviroStrip process (after paint removal and stripping) is the application of an inhibitor, and this kept the bare metal on my car free of visible rust for several months. However, the reality is that bare metal will eventually rust and a re-dip after welding is the only way to be sure that you have a clean surface for paint. If you expect a delay or do not expect to do much welding then you would be better going all the way to primer at EnviroStrip. You would then need to remove the primer in areas that are to be welded, but you could avoid the need to re-dip.

My shell will go directly from re-dip to the paint shop I am using for both primer and paint, so I don't plan to go through the EnviroStrip primer stage. I assume their reference to 2-pack primer means they use a chemical hardener in their professional shop, but I think you are correct - the use of this is decreasing since the hardener is poisonous during application and does need a professional shop with good extraction.

Given your location, unless you have a lot of welding to do, then I would consider going for the whole four stage process at EnviroStrip and doing the whole job through to primer in one trip.

I hope that this helps
Peter

#19 Vegas superstar

Vegas superstar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

Thanks a million Peter. You've been a great help with your info.

#20 minisandra

minisandra

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

I can't print my opinion for in case i'm sued, but not best pleased with how  my shell returned. Some on here have had better results. It depends what you are aiming for.

#21 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

Holy thread revival batman! Last post was 2016

However we do like it when people use an existing thread for reporting issues with companies.

Anyway I hope the shell is salvageable!

#22 minisandra

minisandra

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

It came back like the previous posts pics minus paint as agreed  but had holes drilled in areas not meant to be and unwelcome dents. Where they came from who knows,?

#23 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

They'll drill holes in sills if needed, as for dents they may well have been fillered in

Edited by cal844, 16 August 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#24 minisandra

minisandra

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hi, the car was rebuilt by us 1st time round and so we knew all the filled area's these were new dents and as for the drilled holes no one said that was going to be done. Would not have sent car away if I knew what I know now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users