16 replies to this topic

#1 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Were these sold at some point as kits? Seen a few similar to each other. Wonder if they are still available. cool-mini.jpg

#2 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

That's all steel and man hrs. Not a kit

#3 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

There are a few out there that look very similar

1959-mini-speedster-11.jpg

#4 Rob Gavin

Rob Gavin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

Top one is all steel and has been sectioned like a sprint (look at the proportions of the wings).. Second looks more on the mini proportion.

#5 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:17 AM

I don't know, they are too similar.  I'm sure it was a ton of work, but it seems weird that the would all decide to construct things so similarly.

#6 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

It's not a kit!

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

I don't know, they are too similar.  I'm sure it was a ton of work, but it seems weird that the would all decide to construct things so similarly.

totally different. about the only parts similar will be the floor and the headlights

#8 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

totally different. about the only parts similar will be the floor and the headlights

Ok, I'm just saying there are many similarly built "speedsters."  Im seeing the differences the more I look, but they share more in common than headlights and floors.  I guess for structure and form, they all need to have the basic same shape and the part that comes down the middle.  Another thing that gets me is the windscreens.  If you google "classic mini speedster"  you get more than just the two above.  There are a few that pretty much just chopped off the tops which I don't like nearly as much are the ones above.  I've also seen a fiberglass project that looked similar to these.   I didn't intend to offend anyone's work,  I just figured there are lots of kits done for minis over the years, some that may have had a short run or something...

#9 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

Theres a lot of custom work out there that isn't a kit but looks very similar to each other....

With you being in Georgia, I can only presume it's the U.S....? Take a look at Mercury Leadsleds.... all very similar to each other, no kits in sight... all been nosed, decked, frenched, chopped and sectioned... now thats a lot of work...

#10 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Theres a lot of custom work out there that isn't a kit but looks very similar to each other....

With you being in Georgia, I can only presume it's the U.S....? Take a look at Mercury Leadsleds.... all very similar to each other, no kits in sight... all been nosed, decked, frenched, chopped and sectioned... now thats a lot of work...

Ok, so there is no mini speedster kit :)  Yes, I am in the US and I get the lead sled argument, but mid century american cars are so rare there probably wouldn't be a market for such a kit.  Is there a subset of mini speedster enthusiasts that like the look or are they typically one offs?  Here there seems to be a chopped car "scene".  I was never trying to insist there must be a kit and I can really appreciate the work that all these people put into their cars, especially the blue one that I believe was wrecked on its first drive out.  Thanks you all for all your insight!

#11 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

Blue one was damaged when it fell of the towing car when on a trailer on way to a drag race event , it's being repaired

#12 ssuperflyoldguy

ssuperflyoldguy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:39 PM

Hi everyone, love the all-steel blue one, have been following it for years and have decided to build one as close as possible. Does anyone have construction pics of it? Trying to guess where n how to get the same curves. It appears to be sectioned sim to a Sprint and even a bit more off the top edge. Looks like he used the roof skin to close off the back. Anyways - love it but would like a jumpstart if anyone has a build-log. I reached out to the owner but no response.

#13 darkrider

darkrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: E.P.Veteran Car Club

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

There are in Cape Town South Africa and both have been built up from cars. One was featured in a recent Miniworld magazine.

#14 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

There are in Cape Town South Africa and both have been built up from cars. One was featured in a recent Miniworld magazine.

Yup, I know the owner of that one quite well. Fibreglass flip front, based on a 1980s clubman body. Very nicely built. 

12096002_1061485947209033_60186744620294

#15 darkrider

darkrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Local Club: E.P.Veteran Car Club

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:58 PM

I met him at the Timor Motor Show in 2015 and the other one on bloubergstrand

Edited by darkrider, 13 May 2017 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users