13 replies to this topic

#1 1963MKI

1963MKI

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

Im currently trying to weld a new wing to the front panel that I will then on as one to the car but only have a TIG setup. I tried some plug welds but trying to get the torch and filler rod in underneath the panel isnt giving me too much joy. I then tried to seem weld from the inside and it looks rather neat and does the job. I would hire a spot welder but no one around here hires them. when it comes to weld the wing to the a frame I suspect plug welding will be a lot better but for now I need some advice on how best people do the inside front end.

#2 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

I always thought tig was for ally? You need a mig welder as it would be more suited

#3 1963MKI

1963MKI

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

No tig is for mild steel and stainless and alu. But the amount of control over the amps and gas etc makes it attractive. Im just wondering do people tig their panels at all ?

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Tig is probably a bit OTT for the thin Mini metal but if you are managing, then why not?

Mig would be much easier for joining the wing to the front panel as you would have better access for plug welding but if Tig is all you have then the seam welds that you have been doing will work ok as long as the join is strong.

Ben

#5 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

Tig is a very versatile welding platform. Not just aluminium, but steel, stainless steel, titanium.etc.

The problem (guessing) is you're having trouble with the filler feed. Plug welds need a fair bit of filler as you take a lot of material out when you drill holes in prep for the weld. MIG is handy as the feed is built in so you can aim at the middle of the panel behind and pull the trigger. Not sure how to TIG weld in such a fashion as I've never done it. Try striking the arc in the middle of the panel (the one behind the hole for the plug) and feed filler while moving out in a circle? Sounds complicated but that's how I do them with MIG.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

Having never used a TIG welder it's difficult to comment but I have no issues using a MIG to plug weld mini front ends. I normally use a 3/16th hole then high power with a high wire speed. I would use a 1/4" hole but the wing to front panel flange is quite narrow.

It does take a bit of manipulating to get the angle right but when there then happy days.

#7 1963MKI

1963MKI

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

how many plug welds do people put between the front panel and wing ?

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:39 PM

I normally follow the rule of one every inch

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

If you are good with TIG use that, I use to use mig but I find it a bit brutal on the thin stuff, I just seam weld it works great

David

#10 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:38 PM

I have seen plug welds with a tig by clamping panels together and heating a small spot without a hole, it just fused the two panels together, no filler rod was used

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

My uncle always says TIG is the ultimate welding 'type' because you have somuch control.Its probablyslower than mig, but it'll do the job just fine.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:07 AM

Could you clamp it up, then remove from the car for better access?

Unless you're located somewhere very remote, trading tig welding for mig or spot could be a goer.

Frost do a spot welding kit for tigs.

#13 neon1991

neon1991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Ive done seam welding with a gas set before from the back side of the panel and it was okay.  the biggest problem I found was that the seam kind of opened up on the front side while I was welding.  this was despite using a million clamps. plug welding was doable but you need to get right in there with nothing in the way which means you'll need the hubs and driveshafts off etc.  

Edited by neon1991, 01 July 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#14 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

Im currently trying to weld a new wing to the front panel that I will then on as one to the car but only have a TIG setup. I tried some plug welds but trying to get the torch and filler rod in underneath the panel isnt giving me too much joy. I then tried to seem weld from the inside and it looks rather neat and does the job. I would hire a spot welder but no one around here hires them. when it comes to weld the wing to the a frame I suspect plug welding will be a lot better but for now I need some advice on how best people do the inside front end.

You might find a different combination of tungsten size, amps and Argon flow will allow you more room to feed the filler rod in, by pulling back the tip further? I'm thinking a thicker tungsten and more gas may give you a little more room to feed the rod into the hole?

The suggestion of fusing without a filler rod is worth a try too - I think thats why professionals use tig over mig on butt welds as the finishing is so much easier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users