#1 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:03 PM

Good Afternoon All,

Recently I managed to push my poor little 7 port 1399cc A series just a little bit too hard and pop some oil seals on it so its an engine out jobby to repair it.

Ive always fancied popping the R1 engine in the mini and now seems to be that perfect time to do it!!

I have a 2003 R1 Track bike and also an over spec'd Ex British Superbikes engine which is brand new, never run and in the crate engine.

Sooo the plan is to transplant the BSB R1 engine into a promotive frame and take all the ancilliaries and running gear from my track bike!

I plan to do all of this in a week or so (working on it full time) to the people that have fitted this kit..... is that an unreasonable time scale?

I'm currently working away at sea so cant start the project yet but I have been looking for a few parts for the car and struggling to come up with anything from google.

People have been using 'Fluke Motorsport" but I cant find anything by them relating to the 2003 R1? (Anybody got any links?)

Any recommended websites for spares etc would be greatly appreciated and I will post pictures of the transplant when I get home in September.

Cheers Paul

#2 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

A week might be too ambitious.  No hiccups and you have all the parts. It could be done.

What parts are you looking for? 

#3 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

Cheers Aceslow - I will bank on a couple of weeks then to make sure I have ample time.

I've been looking for:

- a sump baffle and a new sump gasket.

- Speedo Healer

- Oil Cooler (although might be able to adapt a Mocal one that I have for the mini - but not at home till August so cant check that)

- Smog Block of adapters

and I'm sure there where some other parts but cant remember off the top of my head!

Cheers Paul

#4 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

Smog block adapters I bought from Graves motorsports in the US 

Speedo healer was an ebay purchase. 

Not sure what hose fittings are on the mocal one but like you said, I'm sure it could be adapted. 

I went to a local shop for  baffle and gasket. 

#5 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hello People,

I have managed to bag myself a very good deal on a brand new second hand Pro-Motive  kit plus a shed tonne of shiny bits and pieces for the car (those of you on facebook may have seen the bundle - from Sicily) 

Well I travelled down to Sicily last weekend (luckily I am currently working in Italy so it worked out perfectly, met with the chap - a really nice bloke from the states who has had an unfortunate time with his classic mini hence the sale of all of his bits and pieces. Happy days for me as it covers pretty much everything that I would have ever needed for my car plus more.

Anyway I will be home in December and cracking on with the build in the new year. One thing that I am missing is the instructions from Pro-Motive that come with the kit. Does anyone have any electronic copies of the  instructions or would this be something that I would have to contact Phil for? If anyone can help me out with the instructions that would be great. 

I will update this thread with my progress when I start the build.

Cheers again

#6 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

Good luck with the project, sounds like the perfect Christmas present to yourself :proud:  Darren or Phil from Pro-Motive will be able to send you the build instructions i'm sure. I did my build from scratch as have a few people on here so any questions just ask away & someone will be able to advise. 

What is the spec of your 5PW race motor? Any idea what kind of power it will produce? I believe Yamaha claim ~152bhp from the factory. I'd be interested to hear any info/advice/links you have on NA tuning the R1 5PW. 

Mine is standard internally just with air filter, exhaust & Power commander map & it's 125whp, equating a 20% drive train loss, that's 150bhp at the crank. It pulls hard to 100mph but thereafter take it's time to hit 123mph VMAX GPS. So i'm jealous of your motor - a  bit more power would be very welcome!   :-)

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your mini. 

Edited by duds100, 21 November 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#7 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Also, I got my sump baffle plate from AB Performance - 01449 736633. I think it was around £75 delivered. Tell him you have the engine in the front of a mini, transverse but spun 180 degrees & he will know what baffle to send you. He does loads of BEC stuff.

Edited by duds100, 21 November 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#8 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

Hi Duds,

Racerlike has kindly sent me the instructions so once im back home in late December I can dig the motor out and start assembling the kit!! I am also hoping to develop a belt drive to fit the promotive kit, but in all honestly I think that will be a long term thing once I have the kit fitted to the car and its all setup and working properly. 

I have the full engine spec at home, and will dig out the details, as far as I can remember there has been alot of work done to the head (porting wise etc) and a few other bits and pieces. Not sure that it will be pumping out wayyyyy more than the standard but just a little bit more power would be nice!!

Luckily in with all the gear I bought off of the chap with the new promotive kit I bought there is a baffle plate, power commander V, speedo healer, auto tune, EXUP eliminator etc etc so it seems that most of the bits and pieces that I needed are now so happy days :) I am sure I will be asking plenty of questions and hopefully if I can develop a belt drive for the kit and test it then that might be useful to others in the future! 

#9 Baxter_MFB

Baxter_MFB

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but any progress on this build?

#10 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

Hello Baxter  unfortunately not, circumstances changed and the mini got put to the back of the garage for the year, however I have finally dug it out and I am starting on it again beggining on feb when I am back from work. I hope to update with some photos then.

#11 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Post some pics when you do start the project, this sounds epic!

#12 keule_k

keule_k

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: LE-Minis

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

If you changed your mind about the R1 - I would most likely be interested in buying your conversion kit :D

#13 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

Not changed my mind, just havent been home much in the past year. Going to crack on with it again this new year. I do have a couple of spare 5PW engines incase you find yourself coming across a kit and needing an engine.

I will post some photos as soon as I have some progress :)

#14 16vclub_rich

16vclub_rich

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:23 AM

Pictures :)

#15 pauly_denham

pauly_denham

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

Hello guys,

So im back from sea for a few weeks so I am going to crack on with the Pro-Mo build, I am happy to upload photos and specs etc as I build it, can anyone recommend the best way to share photos on here? So far I have fitted a few bits to the engine and just plonked the engine into the frame.

So my rough plan at the moment is to get the pro-mo kit into the car and get it all wired in and setup, then hopefully it runs well enough that I can get it out on the road and run it in for 500-600 miles. Then strip the whole kit back out of the car and get several bits powdercoated/ painted as there are a few bits that are looking a bit tired (and I would prefer to get the zinc plated parts of the pro-mo kit powdercoated black).

Then whilst the parts are out of the car I will plan to engineer the belt drive kit and if I have obtained my supercharger of choice I also plan on trying to fit a supercharger to the engine not for all out power but just to increase the torque of the engine (some of you may have seen Luke Hursts promotive kit with supercharger on facebook, I have been talking to him so will throw a few ideas about).

Hope to keep you posted on here (even though im pretty rubbish at updating stuff).

Cheers and hope you are all well and safe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users