Photo
- - - - -

Look What I Found. 1965 Mini 1000 Original Paint.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jakethepeg

jakethepeg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

You know how it is, you buy a mini or two and suddenly everyone wants to tell you "my dad had one of those" Also, someone will tell you of a mini they know that is for sale. Well, it happened to me and this is what I found (and bought)

DSCN1404.jpg

DSCN1408.jpg

DSCN1480.jpg

DSCN1421.jpg

DSCN1413.jpg

DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

100% original paintwork, the only rust about the size of a 50p piece in the battery box. Hydrolastic suspension, which needs attention as it has been standing for 10 years. It was owned for over 35 years by the previous owner, and runs and drive well.

My plan is to give it a damn good polish inside and out, a major service and keep it original. I have already replaced all the brake rubbers and shoes, all flexible hoses including hydrolastic hoses and radiator. The seat are original but have been recovered in cloth, but I have managed to source a set of period vinyl ones in  grey and blue. I also  have a set of 10" steel wheels with hubcaps to fit. It is obviously patinated with stone chips and a small scrape or 2, but what should I do to stop any rust spreading?I thought of using a matt finish clear lacquer and touching in the stone chips rather than trying to match the paint Also I wish to keep its original charm and value, so advice from those with more experience than I would be appreciated.

#2 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:01 PM

Don't touch it! It's only original once! As you say get it mechanically 100%

#3 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

What a find! Floors, subfame, doors, cills all original and unwelded.

Not jealous of your rust free car at all  :D

An original unrestored car and one that doesnt need it is a rare special find, it would be lovely to keep and use it like this. Youve done the safety critical things like seals and brake hoses already. "preservation" rather than restoration is what it needs now, Your idea about clear lacquer on stone chips is probably good but in your climate regular car polish is probably enough to prevent any further rusting?. An alternantive would be a full restoration to concours but losing the patina would be a shame.

The classic landrover brigade are all into unrestored vehicles like this.

Keep the photos coming!

(And advice from 2 Northern Irish Mini owners in a row!)

Edited by surfblue, 08 July 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

An option with polish is to clean car and get paintwork smooth and apply a couple of coats of bilt hamber autobalm, it is very good and according to data on website it protects against corrosion in stonechips, it's also very good at hiding small scratches and swirl marks.

#5 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

WOW! Very nice car there, keep it as original as possible as it will stand out of the crowd! 😎

Don't forget to store some of the original rubber parts (unless destroyed) as some of the new rubber parts will perish fast and you will wish you kept the originals like dust covers on the swivel pins...

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

I don't think it's a 1000, it should be an 850. In 1965 the only 1000 cc Minis were the 998 Cooper and the 970 Cooper 'S' and that one is neither.

What a fantastic find - well done.

#7 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:19 PM

Very nice,

Consider where you place the axle stands at the rear to protect the subframe and keep you safe.

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

stunning car.....keep progress pics coming.........I know of a 59 here in Jersey not been on the road for well over 40 years still original and only surface rust in places will have to keep an eye out on it if it comes for sale....lol

#9 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

Looks lovely!

Reckon a set of sportpacks would look great on that!

#10 jakethepeg

jakethepeg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:56 AM

Whilst I defer to the knowledge of the experts, the papers say it is a 1965, the windscreen wiper motor has 65 on it as does the distributor. South African BMC/Leyland tended to plough their own furrow. Hence such unique vehicles as a Wolsey 1000, a Mk 1 body with Wolsey front end, and the Mk 111 , a Riley Elf body with bullnose front. And gems like the Austin (not Morris) Marina with a 2.6 litre straight six based on a stretched Maxi engine.

#11 TarmacAdam

TarmacAdam

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

That's a cracker lovely mini keep it original wipe with an oily rag and get it used

#12 The Clubby Hubby

The Clubby Hubby

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Friends with minibitz

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

So nice

#13 crazicarl

crazicarl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

In 1965 South Africa manufactured their own 998 engines and all vehicles that weren't Cooper or S were fitted with these, this also included commercial vehicles too.

#14 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:11 AM

South african climate treating it well.

#15 Nikko

Nikko

Mini Mad

• Noobies