#1 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hey,

Is it just me or are shows becoming a bit of a let down? I keep on going but i always come away disappointed.

I went the mini world show at Rockingham this weekend and was there an hour tops, and that was doubling back on myself!

Anyone else feeling the same? Anyone who can recommend any decent shows?

#2 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

I only do Mini in the Park nowadays. Brilliant show

#3 GusRox

GusRox

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

I think part of the problem is - and there really isn't a solution -  that the stalls you see are the same people with the same stuff.  So when you go the first time, it's great - loads of new stuff.

When you go again you spot all the things you didn't see last time.

Next, it's the same old same old...

...and again... and again...

There again, I guess there's a law of diminishing returns - as the years go on, there aren't as many new innovations so what could freshen everything up?

It's a good question to ponder...  :)

#4 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

Yep, too many people up their own backside now and quick to pick holes in others cars and builds.
Try fitting a Bodykit now and see what happens.....

#5 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

I think in general all classic car show's are declining in attendance, compared to 10 years ago some of the bigger show's have about half the cars there these days.

The same happened in the kit car world, used to go to 4 or 5 big shows a year, now there is just one.

The exception seems to be just classic car shows in a field, one we went to recently on a village green had over 500 cars attending, about a month earlier they had closed applications as it was fully booked.

#6 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

Probably the age group moving forward too. Back ten years ago as a teenager, I couldn't wait to get to a show to find a bargain , to look at ideas, now I've been there done that, got the magazine feature and trophies , going to shows is meeting up with friends now and enjoying the drive.. (Well imo anyway)

My dads the same, love driving the cars and working on them (sometimes) but static shows just don't do it anymore. Well for 30 minutes or so.

I'd much rather do the thistle run again or l2b than a static show. I still go to shows, but don't have the 'buzz' anymore, doesn't help with the quality going down hill too..

That said I love shows like ultimate dubs and ultimate stance, but the atmosphere is again very different to the mini scene.

Edited by Midas Mk1, 13 July 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

Im in stoke on Trent and most of the shows are to far for a day run out.

Camping got to serious and just a tent a camping stove is not enough, it got be full on safari set for a night.

To expensive, like I mean 8 quid for a burger, 8/9 quid get in, less traders and second-hand stalls 20/40 quid petrol pub food + beer ect.

Trader don't seem to give a better discount if you go to a show, cheaper get it on line now.

Show comps seem fixed same old winner. don't think they are but feels the way. out of the click people don't ever win.

Life to short and a weekends gone in a blink of a eye.

Kids don't want go any more.

Parts quality gone crap at shows so people don't buy because they see how crap they are.

#8 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Some good points there, i suppose i've been doing the shows for 12/13 years now so theres not much i haven't seen!

I'm in Sheffield so it would be nice to have something a bit closer to home where spending only an hour at a show isn't such an issue.

I agree with the price comment though, when you're there they can be a rip off!

Maybe i'm just getting old...

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

For me its cost. Most shows are a good 180 mile round trip, witch the mini can easily do. So that's a tank of fuel, plus entry for 2 people comes to another 20 odd quid. And for what? Half the amount of traders (some of witch have disappeared for whatever reason over the last few years) half the amount of club stands and cars.

Or to put it in perspective of how expensive mini shows have become. I went to a country fair/steam rally/horse show and classic car show locally (20 miles away) that attracts over 40.000 visitors over 2 days with over 1,500 exhibitors and traders.

It cost £20 for 2 adults (under 16's are half price or under 5's free) to get in and you had over 50 Steam engines of all sizes, tractors, classic cars (with the odd mini) and bikes, buses, military vehicles, heavy horses, funfair, live music, spitfire and hurricane fly past, car boot/traders (I couldn't pass us packs of imperial nuts/bolts for a £1 a bag, cheap tools and consumables and even found some NOS mini spares for pennies) Plus loads more going on. And even the food was reasonably priced, even if the queues were a little long.

#10 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

Yep, too many people up their own backside now and quick to pick holes in others cars and builds.

This exactly, so disrespectful , I often find those picking holes own rusty piles of junk , with large sticker bombed sections covering rust.

#11 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

This exactly, so disrespectful , I often find those picking holes own rusty piles of junk , with large sticker bombed sections covering rust.
Couldn't have said it better!

Seems people are put off building unique and interesting cars as they are openly mocked and harassed for doing so. This makes the shows a bit "stale" . It's a shame that the scene isn't as tolerant as it used to be.

If you don't have the budget to throw £10k at a resto then Tarquin and Felicity sneer up their posh noses and spit their silver spoons at it.

Maybe it's because minis are getting more valuable so people prefer originality? Either way all minis should be welcomed.

The scene is starting to be a bit cliquey in the same way as mini clubs often go. They start of with good intentions but end up only catering for the few. Membership drops and chairmen/chairwoman change but the damage is done.

Well thats my grumpy rant over. Guess I'm getting old and senile lol.... Time to put sticks in kids bike wheels and complain to my neighbours about banging noise after 6pm

Edited by minihobbymini, 14 July 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#12 scrumpix

scrumpix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: Yeovil Mini Mania

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

i attend many breakfast meets, last for a couple of hours nice cooked full English at a reasonable cost. However L2B etc are for me the driving to rather than wandering around.

#13 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

i attend many breakfast meets, last for a couple of hours nice cooked full English at a reasonable cost. However L2B etc are for me the driving to rather than wandering around.

Where are, and who arranges the breakfast meets you go to?

I found L2B a little boring the last time I did it. Saying that it was the 7th year in a row and Sheffield is a bloody long way from Brighton!

#14 scrumpix

scrumpix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: Yeovil Mini Mania

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Where are, and who arranges the breakfast meets you go to?

I found L2B a little boring the last time I did it. Saying that it was the 7th year in a row and Sheffield is a bloody long way from Brighton!

The breakfast meets are down south but I'm sure they are held in most areas of the country. Adds a little to the meet if there is a reasonable drive too them. Why not start a thread on here to see where breakfast meets are being held ?

#15 Jase71

Jase71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

I agree with the comment that everything is cheaper on line, I go to the NEC Classic car show every year, every year I expect a bargain but no, cheaper on line. I guess its because the traders have to pay to be there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users