#16 DEXISWOLF

DEXISWOLF

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Local Club: Steel City Classics

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

To be honest there is some shows i go to and think its a bit samey but i love em because of the drive me and one of mates always go a stupid out of way scenic route and just have a right good time going round lanes and that and when were there we just spend all time nattering about the drive down how one of our cars was miss firing or could do with a squeek sorting or how whoever is in fronts car smoking lol thats how cool we are xD

#17 bogstandard

bogstandard

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

Try something different and make it a road trip to Europe.

The Braunschweiger Mini Tage is fantastic and there are plenty of other German, Belgium (Limburg Mini meet), Dutch (who have their own version of L2B), weekend meets. Can be done in a long weekend and meet some lovely peeps. :)

Not just about traders.

#18 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

The Braunschweiger Mini Tage is fantastic and there are plenty of other German, Belgium (Limburg Mini meet), Dutch (who have their own version of L2B), weekend meets. Can be done in a long weekend and meet some lovely peeps. :)

Not just about traders.

Can you give us a link to a calendar?

#19 bogstandard

bogstandard

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

Haha if only but a good idea. Mini Mags here only really concentrate on UK stuff but to find out what else is going on I just Googled and link went to link via some Dutch and German clubs to see what they were doing and emailed for more info.

These peeps have a good overview of the Euro events http://www.miniseven...menten/kalender

A great start is the Braunschweiger Mini Tage. Classic Minis only and met some lovely people and had great fun.

#20 jt19

jt19

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

I haven't been to any shows this year.
A few classic car meets at a local pub but that's it.
I do enjoy going to ace cafe mod and mini night, but that's because of the drive there, dinner, bit of a chat with fellow mini people then shoot home. Only there a couple of hours. Although I haven't managed to get there yet this year lol.

I prefer going to track days and to run what ya brung at santa pod with a few petrol head mates. Much more fun imo

#21 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Something that does realy anoy me.
Food prices at shows are shocking, and you know why?? because people keep buying it !!! If everyone boycotted the food vans for just one show things might change. There are cheaper and healthier options you know. Anyone heared of a cool box ??

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

Not just about traders.

the mainland shows, well I would not call them shows really more of events, are very different to the UK ones. less to do with traders and more to do with the people.. our event just gets bigger every year. saying that we will have doubled our traders this year as one is coming over from Switzerland. (not including the auto jumble resellers).

#23 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

How was mitp this year?

#24 Recogniseman

Recogniseman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

I went to MITP for the first time this year. I found it a lot less busy than the VW shows that I have been to at Santa pod (I'm thinking of VW spring festival and BugJam, which is a massive weekend thing).
I can't say if this is the norm as I haven't been before, but I was expecting it to be better attended.
It was good fun and my boy enjoyed it (he is 5 and it was his first proper car show/event).
I thought there was going to be a monster truck or two, as I'm sure online there where pictures of some from previous years. The motoX stunt riders where good thou, even if they did say, that they had not been paid enough to do backflips (in not so many words)
But they did them on mini bikes instead. Good lads.

I will definitely go again next year.

#25 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

Yep, too many people up their own backside now and quick to pick holes in others cars and builds.
Try fitting a Bodykit now and see what happens.....

Well said!

#26 Sir Michael Edwardes

Sir Michael Edwardes

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

The Mini scene is contracting because only the hard core enthusiasts are left.
When I rejoined the Mini scene back in 2001 the Mini was seen as cool, an after effect of 'cool Britannia'. You could pick up a shed cheaply, run it until the bodywork detoriated to a serious situation, and then sell it on. Clearly this is what a lot of people did, and they were unwilling to spend large sums on bodywork, simply enough to get it through the annual MOT. This was why the Mini scene seemed to be so buoyant in the early noughties.
Now 16 years after the last car left Longbridge there are no cheap sheds around, all cars will have suffered corrosion issues and only those with deep pockets or bodywork skills will persevere in keeping a Mini on the road.
I have a Mini that had 18 owners in 19 years! Clearly these owners were not willing to spend the money to keep it looking pristine, just enough to look cool. The auto jumble at Stanford Hall was probably selling components of Mini's that had once travelled to the show under their own power.
I suspect the type of people who used to have Mini's now have Mazda MX5S and MGFS. They can be picked up cheap and us British do love convertibles for some bizarre reason.

#27 AeroNotix

AeroNotix

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 08:06 PM

Guys/Gals. Just be glad you even have shows. Some countries have about 200 minis on the road total, let alone shows to go and see a couple other people at!

#28 Albannach

Albannach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 04:51 PM

Yep, too many people up their own backside now and quick to pick holes in others cars and builds.

Well said!

It happens on this site as well....I sold a set of Split Rim Alloys to a kid in Northampton....and because I posted a close up of the Wheel on my Cabrioni, which has a Body Kit, one smart aleck, criticised the Car. Said it was a Mini, just not a nice one. Not that I place any value on what he thinks, as he's just a daft young kid.

#29 minisprint

minisprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Local Club: GR8 minis

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:36 PM

Well said!

It happens on this site as well....I sold a set of Split Rim Alloys to a kid in Northampton....and because I posted a close up of the Wheel on my Cabrioni, which has a Body Kit, one smart aleck, criticised the Car. Said it was a Mini, just not a nice one. Not that I place any value on what he thinks, as he's just a daft young kid.
remember the add they were nice wheels!

#30 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:51 PM

It's a shame but it's often the people involved that kill any 'scene'. The narrow minded are very outspoken as they can't comprehend what consequences their actions have.

Anyone who's been part of a car club will probably have witnessed the increase in the voice of the biggeted and narrow minded. Social media has allowed this negative narrative to become the norm.

I'm just glad I don't get involved in Facebook etc so I still have some love for what's left. This site isn't too bad and the majority of people are good but you tend not to hear the positive views as decent people have decent lives - They don't hang around all day trying to ruin someone's day/interests for sport.

One day it will come to a head. Just like many clubs do.

Edited by minihobbymini, 30 November 2016 - 11:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users