2 replies to this topic

#1 bloke

bloke

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hi there, got a bit of a strange one here. Got a kind of clicking noise coming from the front drive on the left-hand side when the car is warm and has been driven for a few miles.

If you put your hand on the drive shaft with it jacked up, and rotate the wheel when it's warm you can feel a clunk coming from the driveshaft.

The thing is, both universal joints have been changed, as have the front wheel bearings, the brake discs and pads.

I did notice that the split cone washer has little fractures on the outside, so I have ordered a new one just in case, but could this cause the problem?

The thing is when it's cold it's perfectly fine.

It's coming for its MOT in a few months time and I want to be ahead of any problems like this, that they will pick up.

Any help will be gratefully accepted, yours Aston.

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

Check your drive flange bolts with a torque wrench as loose bolts or screws will give you a clunk.

Do you only notice it when spinning the wheel by hand, if so could be you brake pads being shifted up and down by the disc of even the caliper so re torque everthing on both sides of the car.

Or it could be a naff replacement CV joint/ joints or the diff on its way out.

Hopefully its just a re torque. 

#3 bloke

bloke

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Fair point, will re torque everything, when it stops raining :-)

I'm fairly sure it's not the diff, or at least I hope it isn't, as, if you spin the other wheel it's perfectly quiet. Though, with a Mini there are no guarantees in life. :D

I whipped out the CV joints, the other day, for a quick look and everything seemed fine. I'll probably just take all of it out again anyway, and have a thoroughly good look just in case I missed anything.

Thanks for the reply, cheers, Aston.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users