#1 loobas

loobas

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:27 PM

Hi folks!

I am a classic mini enthusiast and have a 1978 and a 1999 40th aniversary mini in my garage.

Im from Brazil and its really dificult to find some parts to buy.

Well, done with the small talk, let's go to the problem!

My gearbox isn't changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. It got stuck in 1st and 2nd. The problem inittialy were that it wasnt changing to 4th gear, but now it got worse. The mini have 45k miles.

Im trying to find some compatible scanner to run a diagnosis in the central. In the maintime im wondering if changing the oil is gonna do something. 

I found some other threats in the forum, but none of them were solved.

Thank you for your time, and sorry for my bad english! 

#2 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi buddy,
Definitely first thing to do is a full oil and filter change as automatic gearboxes are extremely needy when it comes to good quality clean oil. If it's been a long while since its Last oil change maybe change the oil a couple of times over the next few weeks/months to clear the gunk out. Some say this should be done every 3000 miles minimum on an auto as best practice. This may help your problem or maybe if you're lucky solve it completely. I'm just repeating what I have heard/learnt from others and what has worked well for me. Good luck!
P.S your English is good!

Edited by New game mini, 25 July 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

45 k and an auto to me sounds like failure

#4 loobas

loobas

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Hi buddy,
Definitely first thing to do is a full oil and filter change as automatic gearboxes are extremely needy when it comes to good quality clean oil. If it's been a long while since its Last oil change maybe change the oil a couple of times over the next few weeks/months to clear the gunk out. Some say this should be done every 3000 miles minimum on an auto as best practice. This may help your problem or maybe if you're lucky solve it completely. I'm just repeating what I have heard/learnt from others and what has worked well for me. Good luck!
P.S your English is good!

Thank you for your kind reply, i will definetly change the oil and see how it goes. Crossing my fingers here. Ill keep you updated in this thread.

45 k and an auto to me sounds like failure

Im closing my eyes to this and praying for you not to be right. But as i read earlier, that is a possibility . I will post the veredict as soon as i change the oil! 

#5 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

MPi & Auto ?  That's a rare beast.   Are you sure its actually an MPi ?  I have a Jap spec 1999 car with an Auto box, Air-con etc, and its actually an SPi with a side mounted radiator etc, but has the other MPi parts like air bags, side impact bars etc, so its a kind of SPi/MPi hybrid.    I can't get my ACR4 diagnostics to talk to the ECU.   Don't think an error codes would show up for the gearbox anyhow, but not sure why it won't talk to the ECU.   

#6 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

MPi & Auto ?  That's a rare beast.   Are you sure its actually an MPi ?  I have a Jap spec 1999 car with an Auto box, Air-con etc, and its actually an SPi with a side mounted radiator etc, but has the other MPi parts like air bags, side impact bars etc, so its a kind of SPi/MPi hybrid.    I can't get my ACR4 diagnostics to talk to the ECU.   Don't think an error codes would show up for the gearbox anyhow, but not sure why it won't talk to the ECU.

Not sure why you can't get your ACR 4 to talk to your MEMS ECU ? Are you using the 30211600 lead and the white plug at the brake servo?
There are no error codes for the gearbox as there are no sensors....

FS

#7 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

I realise now the car has two diagnostic sockets, the MPi style one for the air-bag SRS ECU only, and the SPi 3-pin type under the bonnet !!  No wonder I couldn't talk to the MEMS ECU, I only have the lead for the 16-pin one (for my MPi's)

#8 loobas

loobas

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

UPDATE

Did the oil change, and now the car is going for the 3rd gear. The 4th gear is stil a mistery... i will drive it a couple of miles and then change the oil again. Ill keep you guys updated.

Didn't know that the mini doesn't have any gearbox sensor. My guess was that the gearbox is in Protective Mode, but couldn't run a scan in my OBD2 that reads the files.

Is the MPI Auto a rare find? Its a 1999 40th aniversary edition, don't have enough information about that, will check the vin number to find out and i will post it in here.

Thank u for the replys, hope to come back soon with good news. 

#9 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Gearbox purely mechanical/ hydraulic ,no "protective mode" - this is old school technology. You can't read the engine ECU with any OBD/OBD2 it's a specific Rover have a look at the pinned thread on Code Readers.

FS

#10 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

Loobas, is it actually an MPi ?  Does it have a front or side mounted Rad ?

#11 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:43 PM

They never did MPI autos, they last were SPI automatics.

You could try checking the adjustment of the selector cable, and see if you can manually select 1,2,3 and D.

#12 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

Right.. to clear a few things up..

Yes, the Jap auto's were MPi blocks and ran a coil pack... they are a strange SPi hybrid, the reason the radiator is on the side is to make room for the air con pump...

Reading codes from the engine will tell you nothing about the transmission, it is purely mechanical.

Have you adjusted anything on the transmission, like the kick down rod or even the bands ?

but in general, if an oil change dont fix it then it's terminal.

#13 loobas

loobas

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Loobas, is it actually an MPi ?  Does it have a front or side mounted Rad ?

The Rad is side mounted. Didn't know that the MPI auto is a rare find. It has everything of the "mini 40th aniversary edition" but the "GB" on the trunk is missing. As i bought this car from a guy ho didn't know anything about the car, i will have to make new researches to see if im right. But is a right rand drive, automatic with air conditioner, with the "40th" logo on the panel and on the front badge.

Right.. to clear a few things up..

Yes, the Jap auto's were MPi blocks and ran a coil pack... they are a strange SPi hybrid, the reason the radiator is on the side is to make room for the air con pump...

Reading codes from the engine will tell you nothing about the transmission, it is purely mechanical.

Have you adjusted anything on the transmission, like the kick down rod or even the bands ?

but in general, if an oil change dont fix it then it's terminal.

Im adjusting the kick down and everything else right now. the gear selector is kinda loose, will fix that.

They never did MPI autos, they last were SPI automatics.

You could try checking the adjustment of the selector cable, and see if you can manually select 1,2,3 and D.

Well maybe i am wrong about the model indeed. Will check that out. I can manually select 1,2,3 and D. But in "D" the gear wont pass the 3rd. 

#14 loobas

loobas

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Here are some pics of the engine bay and the car itself =)

Attached Files

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Japanese mini 40. Probably one of the highest spec minis ever made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users