#1 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hi,

just tried to fit a headlining kit I brought on Ebay and it just looks rubbish it does not fit correctly and just sags, I went for a non perforated one and this is one mistake,

I am going to write this off as a bad mistake can anyone suggest a good quality headlining I know Newton are good but before I buy one just after some advise.

Thanks

Trev

#2 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

I've got a Newton one in my car can't recommended them enough! Great company, they even gave me a tour of their workshops when i went to collect mine

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

I bought mine from mini spares along wth some repositionable contact adhesive from B&Q and whilst it took a while to fit it looks good once in. I have a feeling it might be a Newton one. There is a video of how to fit one on Newton's website I believe.

#4 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

Have you gently warmed it and pulled tight then clamped in place? My one go at doing this was on an old one that I removed from my car but had been rolled up for a couple of years, it took a few goes to get it tension back in it.

#5 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

thanks for this, the material I have in a nylon and just does not tension even with a bit of heat, I think and order into Newton will be the order of the day.

#6 InstantCustard

InstantCustard

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Surrey Hills Mini Group

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

I have an Optimise Auto one and it fits a treat.
Matched perfectly what I had before and was easy to fit.

#7 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

just tried to fit a headlining kit I brought on Ebay and it just looks rubbish it does not fit correctly and just sags, I went for a non perforated one and this is one mistake,

I am going to write this off as a bad mistake can anyone suggest a good quality headlining I know Newton are good but before I buy one just after some advise.

Thanks

Trev

Good morning Trev,

Do you have a link to the one that you went for on eBay? As far as I know Newton Commercial are the only manufacturers that sell a smooth headliner (non-perforated) on eBay, so the chances are you already have one.

A recommendation for you, if you had a bit of trouble fitting a smooth headliner definitely go for a perforated and (if your budget allows) I would recommend going for a soft touch nylon ones - as they are the easiest to fit (the brushed nylon headliner stretch and manipulate much easier than any of the vinyl options).

Our full range can be found here: LINK

It includes smooths, perforates and soft touch options.

Regards,

Andy @ Optimise Automtoive.

#8 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

I have an MPI and put in an original speck fabric one. Cost me about £90 on eBay and was the real deal but heavily wrinkled when it arrived. My old fabric one was very mouldy when we bought the car and we hadn't a chance of fully cleaning it.

Everyone was telling me it would be a nightmare job that wouldn't work out, but it's great, looks like it's just come out of the factory

Found a couple of handy things -
lightly steam it to take out any packing crinkles
*Make sure the headlining rods are not misshapen and go in the right order. Mine looked a bit bumpy in the middle and it took me a good while reshaping 2 of the rods but it was time well spent.
*Instead of ordinary contact adhesive, buy the rolls of 5mm wide mega strong double sided tape. It has a small bit of fabric reinforcement and is pressure activated, I used about 3 roll and got in on Amazon. . Our car was sitting at a professional restorers when I tackled it and he thought the adhesive tape was brilliant.
*Get plenty of strong spring clamps. I did cut up and use a bit of old rubber window seal too.
*Start in the middle and work either towards the back or front tensioning and straightening a panel at a time. With the glue tape you can place it all up, clamp it and then remove some of the backing tape at a time.
*If you've a roof mounted Ariel, make sure you've it wired up and tested before you start. Having a think about putting some sound deadening on the roof is a good idea too.

Was a job well worth doing.

#9 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

+1 for Optimise fitted a black perforated one ! and you can get a bit

of discount from them ;D

#10 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

Cheers for the replys i ordered a Newton one from Minisport yesterday afternoon and it arrived first thing.
just sitting it in the roof and a couple of clips it fits great no sagging and looks so much better.

Think the lesson of the day is to not buy cheap off eBay.

#11 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

Cheers for the replys i ordered a Newton one from Minisport yesterday afternoon and it arrived first thing.
just sitting it in the roof and a couple of clips it fits great no sagging and looks so much better.

Think the lesson of the day is to not buy cheap off eBay.

As the saying goes buy cheap buy twice...

#12 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Finally finished very happy with the result the Newton one is so worth the few extra quid. just dont fancy doing another in a hurry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users