Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hi guys
I fitted this into the dizzy yesterday in my 1990 998cc
I don't understand what I do with the red positive wire.
I know the black negative just goes directly onto the ignition coil.
As I have a ballasted resistor type coil I need to connect the red positive wire to the ignition switch before the ballast resistor rather than directly to the coil.

Where is this connection point exactly. I think it's the fuse box. Any pictures would be helpful. Do I need some extra wire?

Second question. Do I leave the current wires attached to the coil connected or disconnect them at both terminals?

Thirdly there is a cable tie in the kit. It's to tidy up the cables in the dizzy. Where exactly do I attach the cable tie too? It says in the advance plate.

Many thanks in advice. I'm always amazed at the wisdom out there.

DrKaz

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:54 PM

Leave the coil alone, don't change anything.

Run the black wire from the dizzy to the negative terminal of the coil

Now the red wire from the dizzy you need a new feed wire for this, white wires going to the fuse box are unfused ignition on. take a feed off those. Do not connect the red wire to the coil

#3 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:48 AM

Thanks for replying Irostoke So looking at my fuse box, connect this red positive lead to the white lead at position 1 of the fuse box (white lead) which correlates to top left of fuse box. Thanks in advance.

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for replying Irostoke So looking at my fuse box, connect this red positive lead to the white lead at position 1 of the fuse box (white lead) which correlates to top left of fuse box. Thanks in advance.

Yes Kaz thats a 12v switched supply

#5 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Is this correct? Want to make sure before I reconnect battery and fire her up. I connected the black positive lead to the positive terminal of the ignition coil.

I connected the red positive lead adjacent to the white lead at position one on the left hand side of the fuse box on the other spade connector using a bit of extended wire.

Can I also check- my ignition coil has the 'resistive' double lead connected to the Negative terminal (see pic) and the starter motor black and white lead to the positive terminal. Is this correct? ​I have left these leads alone and kept them connected as per the original set up with dizzy contact points.

Secondly I used the cable tie keeping the wires within the dizzy away safely from the rotating arm. I tied the wires to the base plate. I assume this part does not spin? Is this correct?
Thanks

Kaz

Sorry pics are small but it restricted me with upload size

Attached Files

Edited by Kaz Farooq, 31 July 2016 - 10:01 PM.

#6 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

Sounds right

The whole reason for running a new feed to the red on the dizzy is so the module gets the full 12v when running.

Your coil is a ballasted coil and runs at about 9v , theres two wires to the positive on the coil ,one of them goes live when the starter spins and gives a higher voltage to the coil just to aid starting

Edited by lrostoke, 31 July 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#7 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:59 PM

I connected the black positive lead to the positive terminal of the ignition coil.

I connected the red positive lead adjacent to the white lead at position one on the left hand side of the fuse box on the other spade connector using a bit of extended wire.

The Black is not a positive and is NOT CONNECTED TO THE COIL POSITIVE, the Black is connected to the coil - terminal, the red is connected as mentioned above. ;D

#8 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hi I tried cranking this morning after connection
No spark but starter motor turning.
So the black lead is connected incorrectly? Black lead to negative coil terminal and not positive. I'll try this. I'm sure I connected the module up correctly.
Kaz

Edited by Kaz Farooq, 01 August 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#9 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

******* I missed you said you connected black to positive, I did say connect it to negative on the coil in my first reply

#10 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

Chaps
As per my picture
The black is connected to the negative terminal on the coil. Sorry my mistake in typing, but still no spark.
The starter motor turns though.
Any ideas. I'll check connections again when I get home from work.
If you look at the pic of my ignition coil- is the double 'resistive' lead (pink and white) and ( yellow and white) lead correctly connected to the negative terminal on the coil. It was that way with original set up with contact points in the dizzy with the starter motor lead (black and white) connected to the positive terminal of the coil.

https://www.gsparkpl...ctions_v1-3.pdf

Here it shows this ballast resistive lead connected to positive terminal of the ignition coil on the wiring diagram. I'm baffled.

Kaz

Edited by Kaz Farooq, 01 August 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#11 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

Your coils wired backwards by the sounds

The pink/white and yellow/white should go to the positive on the coil

The black white will be dead it normally goes to the old points connection....The black wire from the module replaces this

#12 Kaz Farooq

Kaz Farooq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

I thought as much. But it was wired that way to start with pink/white yellow/white connected to negative and black/white dizzy lead to the positive n the coil.

How can the coil function wired back to front (pre electronic module).
The spade/ female connectors on the coil are made such it can only be connected this way.
I guess I need to recrimp the connections to correct type.

Kaz

#13 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

yeah bit weird. With you saying you hadn't touched the coil plus I missed when you said pink/white was connected to negative I just assumed all was good with the coil side :(

#14 PeterJohn

PeterJohn

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hi everyone...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge i think you shouldn't change anything.Run the black wire from the dizzy to the negative terminal of the coil.The red wire from the dizzy you need a new feed wire for this, white wires going to the fuse box are unfused ignition on,take a feed off those.

https://www.7pcb.com/

Edited by PeterJohn, 16 September 2021 - 06:23 PM.

#15 minidazza

minidazza

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Edited by minidazza, 06 September 2017 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users