6 replies to this topic

#1 great68

great68

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

I have had a search and am surprised not to find anything about this fiddly job. I have a 1998 Cooper. I have removed the slave cylinder by only removing the ECU. I just cant get the new one back in, especially hooking the banjo back up as the hose is so short. Can this be done without removing the servo, or has anyone got any tips, ta

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

I have done it on a 97 cooper, removed ecu, clutch housing breather canister and had enough room to remove and refit although fiddly, connect banjo bolt and sealing washers to slave cylinder then mount slave cylinder to mounting bracket. When mounted do final tightening of the banjo bolt. To mount the slave cylinder bolts I used a socket then a universal joint and an extension bar again fiddly but doable.

I also removed the top engine steady from the head and bottom steady so it gave a little flex of the engine

Edited by RedRuby, 30 July 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#3 great68

great68

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

Ta, I did look at the breather canister but wasn't sure if i could get that back on once the slave was bolted in.

#4 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

It is a pig, and RedRuby's advice is spot on

#5 Gil-galad

Gil-galad

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Getting ready to do this replacement on my pre-verto. It looks to be much easier with far fewer removals that what is on the verto checklist.

#6 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

Pre-verto slave cylinder is quite straightforward, assuming nothing has seized up. Like, for example, the nut fitting the hose to the bulkhead - had to cut off the one on my Marcos last week as they were rusted solid. Fortunately I'd bought a braided hose when I got the slave cylinder and was planning on replacing it anyway...

#7 great68

great68

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 05:32 PM

So, i also unbolted the breather canister but its still a pig of a job so i bit the bullet and unbolted the brake master cylinder from the servo. The brake pipes all moved over ( due to the bends in them) and the master swung out the way. I bolted the breather back first and then it was such a simple job refitting the slave . I then carefully swung the brake master back and bled the clutch. I did check twice after all the brake pipe joints to check i hadn't loosened any.
So my advice is unbolt the brake master from the servo first (not any pipework) and its an easy job then to change the clutch slave. No need to remove anything else.

Edited by great68, 05 August 2016 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users