#166 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Lawrence.

I used to run a set of big Cibie Oscar spotlamps, with 180W lamps fitted and the connector never complained in the slightest. No spotlamps this time, so even better.

#167 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

I have started fitting the stalks and have a few problems.
The plastic ring for cancelling the indicators needs the centre hole opened up to fit the shaft. Did you find the same?
My steering lock will not work as the pin is not long enough to reach the slot in the shaft. Did yours fit ok?

And another wee snippet that might be of interest to you is that you can swap the wiper stalk with a variable intermittent one and it should work. More information on the Micra forum.

#168 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

That ring needs to move with the shaft, and mine was a push fit over the shaft nicely. Cant remember if I machined the center hole slightly, perhaps I did.... I left the 3 wee prongs though and thats what I used to key into the connecting piece I machined.

I made up a piece to go between the wheel boss and the white plastic cancelling ring to ensure it connected and moved. Get the distance right between the boss and stalks for it to move and cancel freely, and weld it in place.

My steering lock works just fine aye. I did narrow the locking peg a wee bit so it would fit the slot in the shaft, but it fits and works just fine. You turn up the same shells like I did and drill the hole for the locking peg and its surrounding casting to fit into?

Attached Files

Edited by micraminiman, 10 May 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#169 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

Ok. It may be that the peg needs narrowed a bit. I did the same as you with a split spacer and thought the extra distance was stopping the pin getting as far as the slot. I was thinking I needed an eccentric spacer but I will investigate further.
The steering is back on the car at the moment as I needed to turn it round in the garage.

#170 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

may just be easier to make a new half to the c clamp on the ignition barrel thats what i did :)

#171 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Completed the front brake pipes last night. Added a joiner piece into the line from the master cylinder, so its easier to remove the front subframe at a later date if required. Also routed the pipe round the rear of the master cylinder to keep it away from the inlet plenum, which is close to the unions on the cylinder already.

Will be moving on to the rear brake line this evening.

Attached Files

#172 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Engine cleaned and painted this weekend. New manifold studs in place.

Attached Files

#173 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Engine back in the Mini again and re-assembly begun. 

Still waiting on my Allspeed driveshafts yet, but at least the left side inner CV joint fits in place now. The boot is tight to the bottom of the subframe tower though. Its got 5mm of clearance just now, but can get that larger if I drop the rear engine mount on its slotted mount a wee bit.

Attached Files

#174 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Last night was spent wrapping the exhaust manifold with fiberglass tape. What a messy job, even with the bandage soaked in water overnight....

Fitted in place, and bolted up using new studs, manifold nuts and new gaskets.

Alternator was re-fitted afterwards, and the radiator in place temporarily as I'm waiting on a new thermostat arriving first.

Attached Files

#175 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

Success! The engine started and runs lovely.

This video by my young son is the genuine first crank and start after cranking minus fuel to get oil pressure first.

One happy lad here! 

#176 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

So the driveshafts have arrived from Allspeed, and are fitted. 

Insurance is sorted through Adrian Flux, all good.

MOT tomorrow hopefully if my tester has a spare 3/4 hour.

Still waiting on my new carpet set to arrive, but thats just an added extra! lol

Here are the latest pics. 

Wheels painted, tyres fitted this afternoon and get a wee test drive.

Edited by micraminiman, 16 June 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#177 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Well thats the Nissan Mini on the road.

MOT passed with no advisories early on Saturday morning. Taxed and insured, and it was time to drive!#

Have now done nearly 200 miles in it and its great. The engine runs smooth, but hit the throttle and it turns into an animal. Really pulls very strong in every gear. 

Overall very happy indeed with how its all gone.

Attached Files

#178 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Happy to report that nearly 2000 completely trouble-free miles have been done since finishing the conversion. Very happy with it, but would now like to extract a wee bit more power from the unit. I like the idea of a supercharger, but thats a bit off yet!

Only small mod was to add a head-steady shock absorber from a Honda to make the engine movement slightly less when going on and off the throttle pedal.

Attached Files

#179 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

Very happy with it, but would now like to extract a wee bit more power from the unit. 

That didnt take long lol 

#180 micraminiman

micraminiman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:47 AM

Very happy with it, but would now like to extract a wee bit more power from the unit. 

That didnt take long lol 

Haha, aye, could do with just a wee bit more poke in 3rd 4th and 5th I reckon, to maximise the fun factor.

It goes very well indeed as it is though, its not a complaint! Cash flow, or lack thereof will put these plans to bed for a while yet though! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users