6 replies to this topic

#1 26dtp

26dtp

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

I just bought a Z Cars K20 kit out of a mini that was in an accident.  The previous owner hit a wall and smashed up front end.  I think the rear end may also be bent.  Today I dropped my engine into the frame and although it went in quite well and everything seemed to line up, I noticed the mounts are not straight. Upon further investigation it looks like the bottom part of frame that runs horizontal where the trailing arms bolt to is not straight, it is a little bowed.  The problem I am having is im not sure if it is meant to be bowed or not. Could anyone confirm? Once confirmed I will look into getting the frame straightened. I would love to see other people's mounts also to see if they look same as mine or if they are straight.  I have attached pictures of mounts and the part of frame that I think is bowed. Thanks for reading :)

You can see the mount does not look straight

Attached File  IMG_20160814_143220.jpg   51.76K   45 downloads

Same with this side

Attached File  IMG_20160814_143242.jpg   36.39K   38 downloads

What I believe to be the tweaked part of frame

Attached File  IMG_20160814_143254.jpg   58.19K   49 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20160814_143308.jpg   55.7K   60 downloads

#2 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

The bottom bar should be straight. I would say that due to front end damage, the weight of the engine has caused the frame to bend.
Cheers,
Ed

#3 26dtp

26dtp

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

The bottom bar should be straight. I would say that due to front end damage, the weight of the engine has caused the frame to bend.
Cheers,
Ed

Thank you very much for your reply.  I had a feeling it was meant to be straight and your reasoning as to why it is bent the way it is makes total sense. Looks like I am going to need to take it to a frame straightener. Out of curiosity, what do you think would be the effect on the car if I were to leave it? Im guessing the geometry of the suspension/trailing arm will be out and maybe the bushings in the engine mounts will wear a bit quicker.

Edited by 26dtp, 15 August 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#4 quagmire

quagmire

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:50 PM

Looking at the photo of the damage to the bottom rail i would imagine you would have a hell of a job trying to get anything like a decent suspension setup not to mention the safety aspect of running a high performance car with bent and damaged structure I also suspect this would be a instant MOT failure

#5 26dtp

26dtp

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Looking at the photo of the damage to the bottom rail i would imagine you would have a hell of a job trying to get anything like a decent suspension setup not to mention the safety aspect of running a high performance car with bent and damaged structure I also suspect this would be a instant MOT failure

Yeah figured it would mess up suspension.  I plan to get it straightened. Don't have MOT in Canada thankfully. Cheers for your thoughts, greatly appreciated.

#6 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

The other alternative is to get a new bar made by the new company which would have all the suspension brackets already on the bar. It would then be a matter of taking the hoop off the bar and re welding the new one on. I would only recommend this if you are capable of doing good welds. I personally would have it all straightened up to put your mind at ease. Other issue is that when you straighten it up, the welds could crack.
Cheers
Ed

#7 26dtp

26dtp

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

The other alternative is to get a new bar made by the new company which would have all the suspension brackets already on the bar. It would then be a matter of taking the hoop off the bar and re welding the new one on. I would only recommend this if you are capable of doing good welds. I personally would have it all straightened up to put your mind at ease. Other issue is that when you straighten it up, the welds could crack.
Cheers
Ed

Thank you for your suggestion. I will keep it in mind.  One thing that I was thinking about last night was if the bar is bent and the engine still bolts into the frame relatively easy, does that mean that other parts of the frame is also bent. It does not look that way by visual inspection but it has made me wonder if that is the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users