Photo
- - - - -

Mini Spares Competition Rubber Cone (Yellow) And Ridiculous Height...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 andydlc

andydlc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local Club: JMC&LCC

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hi People,

I've got an issue and don't know what to do....

I've bought some competition cones looking to replace the old ones with imperial thread cones! The new cones are installed but the car sits ridiculously high on its lowest Hilo setting. I've already reduced the hilo height by about 5mm and now I'm thinking my hilos are possibly too tall...?

Anybody got any ideas before I swap back to the old cones?
Any one have a photo and height for a Hilo?!

C3FBC91F-C08C-4D6F-9330-59CB7A93E623.jpg

32BAAEAA-711E-419D-A4FA-143A218794F4.jpg

Thanks
Andy

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:08 PM

If it's anything like the new ones we fitted to the rear a few weeks back, it'll drop very quickly. Don't lower it until you've done some miles.

#3 andydlc

andydlc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

How many miles are we talking? I only ask as its not really a road car!

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

Ours dropped dramatically in the first ~20miles and continued to drop for another 50-60miles.

#5 andydlc

andydlc

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

I've just bought some proper hilos, got a sneaky suspicion the minisport adjustarides are just simply too tall for what I want but worked ok on original cones. That's my theory anyway...! Has cost me £80 to see...

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

The Red Spot and Yellow Spot Cones don't really settle. They are not made of the same rubber compound as stock cones.

You need to machine the HiLos to get the height down.

#7 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

I've just bought some proper hilos, got a sneaky suspicion the minisport adjustarides are just simply too tall for what I want but worked ok on original cones. That's my theory anyway...! Has cost me £80 to see...

I fitted red spots to mine with Minisport Adjusta rides and the car sits happily at "normal" height, possibly just a tad lower. I don't sit too low or the car would be beached on the drive due to the dozen or so speed bumps before I even get to a main road. Mine have definitely settled a bit since fitting as the car scrapes on the bumps again now which it didn't for a while.

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

have you rolled it back and forth?

#9 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

The Red Spot and Yellow Spot Cones don't really settle. They are not made of the same rubber compound as stock cones.

That's interesting, I'd have assumed all rubber components would move by some (i.e a noticeable) amount. We used standard ones and they dropped a huge amount in that short distance.

#10 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

Can you not remove the adjuster nut from the hi lo to allow it to drop a further nut thickness?

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

That's interesting, I'd have assumed all rubber components would move by some (i.e a noticeable) amount. We used standard ones and they dropped a huge amount in that short distance.

The standard ones settle quite a lot, the 'Spot' ones do 'settle' but not much at all, maybe 5 - 10 mm over a month where as the stock ones 40 mm +.

These 'spot' ones are a funny compound, kinda rubber like, but not really a normal rubber. The other thing I found with them is they are shapes such that they 'avoid' or don't rely on the flange of the Trumpet (or Hilo) at all in all normal travel, so they have an almost linear spring rate, not too dissimilar to an ordinary coil spring, only with enough travel so as to not bust subframes.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Can you not remove the adjuster nut from the hi lo to allow it to drop a further nut thickness?

Not a wise idea as it will hammer the threads out in the Hilo, resulting in a sudden drop in ride height. That could be dangerous.

<Edit: from memory, I machine 15 from the face that the lock nut lock's against for Red Spots, that then allows them to be set low enough to just sit on the Bump Stops, (which ordinarily you wouldn't do) and of course, it can be wound up from there. > 

Edited by Moke Spider, 19 August 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#13 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Not a wise idea as it will hammer the threads out in the Hilo, resulting in a sudden drop in ride height. That could be dangerous.

Not if it is wound right down so the adjuster is bottomed out or you added a thinner adjuster nut to take up any slack

Edited by rally1380, 19 August 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

Not if it is wound right down so the adjuster is bottomed out or you added a thinner adjuster nut to take up any slack

Sure. The point is, be sure the thread is locked in some way so as hammering can't occur.

#15 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

so they have an almost linear spring rate, not too dissimilar to an ordinary coil spring

Again - interesting. We're on coil-overs at the front fitted with linear rate springs and I really don't like them. I was planning to switch back to standard cones to regain the progressive spring rate. This thread had me considering the 'dot' cones (to avoid the issues with settling) and then, well, not consider them! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users