17 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

The front of my 1989 mini is a lot lower than the back end. Is it a simple job to lower the back end and should it be level with the front? I've heard that the rear being slighlty higher than the front gives you better handling but my rear end is a lot higher than the front several times higher. What would be the easiest method? I think the rear suspension is the wet type

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

The rear should be about an inch higher than the rear, by lowering the rear you also move the weight back and it can cause some understeery characteristics and risk bottoming out the rear wheels on the arches. However on a road mini you aren't likely to notice it much, I lowered mine to be level and it drives nicely, but mine isnt standard as I have played with the front suspension as well. 

But to lower both the front and rear either requires you to cut down the trumpet, the aluminium piece that fits between the rubber cone and the radius arm or top arm on the front. The better method is buying and fitting hilos which are an adjustable trumpet and allows you to set the height more accurately. I initially just cut the rears down slightly (its a 1:5 ratio so cutting 5mm off will lower the rear 25mm) so go very carefully if you do use this method but I would recommend buying hilos for ability to raise it if you need to carry more stuff in the boot or more passengers. 

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

As you have a wet suspension set up. There is very little you can do.

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

As you have a wet suspension set up. There is very little you can do.

Wet suspension was dropped in the mid sixties so I was basing my reply on the 1989 rather than the wet bit as I can't see someone retrofitting it to a later car 

Might help if you post some pictures of your rear suspension without a wheel on

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

But as it is a Mini anything could have been done and the OP says he thinks it is wet.

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

As said " photos please"

1989 mini should be dry set up and not a wet set up.

But as said "is a Mini anything could have been done"

#7 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

The op thinks the "rear" suspension is wet. This alone should tell you that the op does not understand what wet means !!!

Edited by THE ANORAK, 04 September 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#8 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Also maybe we should be wondering why the front is so low and or how low it is before we just tell someone to go chopping up trumpets.
possibly the worse answers ive seen in a topic for a long time !!!

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Also maybe we should be wondering why the front is so low and or how low it is before we just tell someone to go chopping up trumpets.

My answer was provided after making some assumptions. I was assuming that the op would have measured the front suspension height considering the standard ride heights are very easily found on the internet and I believe a haynes manual, and was assuming he is talking about the standard rake that was built into mini suspension. It would be foolish to dive straight into irreversibly modifying suspension without first measuring the start height, that should be obvious so I didn't mention that. I dont feel my answer was a bad answer but as anything on the internet it shouldn't be taken as gospel and if you're not confident in a subject then its up to you to do further research or get assistance from someone with experience. 

#10 Vinnienova

Vinnienova

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for all your feedback any feedback is good as you've probably gathered I'm a novice at best. I will measure the front and rear clearance tomorrow and also take he wheel off the rear and take a picture but I think highlows would be a better option but if I can spend no money in dripping the rear ie cutting 5mm off then I would do that but before I do I will measure both clearances and post again tomorrow many thanks

#11 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:36 AM

If you are on dry suspension it's quite possible that the front cones or knuckle joints have collapsed and it is sitting too low. You might be better off raising the front with new cones and/or hi-los to get the suspension working properly. 

Hi-lo and knuckle joint kit

http://www.minispare.../C-STR644A.aspx

Cones

http://www.minispare...ry/FAM3968.aspx

#12 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

At last. A sensible answer.

And cutting down trumpets is not something you should do with a hacksaw or grinder. If they are not cut square the knuckle will put uneven pressure on them. Last time i did it i used a cnc milling machine.

Dont try doing it on the cheap. Get some new cones and hilos or leave it alone.
also, what makes you think its wet? Wet suspension is interconnected front to rear with a pressurised fluid. You cant have wet on just the rear and an 89 mini would not be made with wet. :-)

#13 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:02 AM

heres the data...

vertical_drop_dia_zpsfv9fetlz.jpg

a lot of brochures have minis looking like this. im sure they are photo-shopped or full of sand bags !!??

equ_zpstotdqsxo.jpg

because a new, factory built mini or a mini with new cones will tend to look like this...

ital_zpsk3xsyxo9.jpg

over time the cones will sag. the front will sag more because of the weight of the engine. a typical 25year old mini will look like this...

stan_zpski7jbdvn.jpg

now at this point the cones are worn out and simply lowering the back to level things up is not the right way to do things.

you really should be looking at new cones. with standard trumpets you will get something looking like the white mini above but within a month or so

they will drop quite a bit. if you decided to fit hilos then now is the time to set your ride height.

Edited by THE ANORAK, 05 September 2016 - 07:03 AM.

#14 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:20 AM

standard "dry" suspension has a dry rubber cone and is independent on all our corners. wet suspension has a bigger cone with fluid in it and is interconnected front to rear so as the front hits a bump the fluid moves to the rear and the rear rises. wet suspension has not been fitted since around 1971.

note the shape of the ally trumpet where it meets the rubber cone. see the radius on the matting face. this is not always present on cheap hilo kits and i would not recommend a set without it although many others use them.

standard_zpsdiitm1ed.jpg

these are your hilos or adjusta rides. the trumpet is replaced by an adjustable rod...

cones2%20001-1b_zpsdeqx8rzy.jpg

ok, why am i against gutting down trumpets. first, like i said above, it must be cut down square. there is a huge amount of pressure where it meets the knuckle. if this does not seat square that you are asking for trouble. (they should also be cut down to identical lengths or the car will be uneven from one side to the other).

second. if you jack the car up, the cone, trumpet and knuckle should be snug in the subframe. if not, it can fall out. there is nothing to stop it. take a humped back bridge too fast and although its unlikely, your suspension could simply fall apart. add to this an old cone that is now smaller and you really don't want to start shortening the trumpet as well. when you fit hilos you should not lower the car past the point that the cone etc is snug in the frame when jacked up. if you do want to go lower you should get lowered shocks. these are simply shorter and they limit the travel of the radius arm to keep things snug in the frame. fitting lowered shocks alone will NOT lower the car.

Edited by THE ANORAK, 05 September 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#15 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:21 AM

The op asked how to lower the rear not how to raise the front.
A reply of replace your front cones wouldn't have answered the question very well would it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, electrical, brakes, engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users