57 replies to this topic

#46 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

Instead of "blaming" the extra force from higher ratio rockers and getting accelerated wear, why not reduce the spring rate proportionately to suit the higher ratio?

Instead of "blaming" the extra force from higher ratio rockers and getting accelerated wear, why not reduce the spring rate proportionately to suit the higher ratio?

Valve bounce?

Valve bounce occurs when the valve train inertia overcomes the spring pressure at a given RPM. If a higher ratio rocker is used, the spring has a higher leverage on the pushrod and lifter and therefore lower spring pressure is required to achieve the same RPM at which valve bounce will occur.

#47 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

A bit of a thread revival and a heads up.

Beware of some of the stuff being pedaled out there. This one has done less than 1000 km.

The Cam

KbS3xrH.jpg

31ELbhy.jpg

eciYrCP.jpg

and the follower,,, supplied by the Cam Grinder

FPAZprs.jpg

I've seen this all a few times before and from the same shop,,,

#48 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

A bit of a thread revival and a heads up.

Beware of some of the stuff being pedaled out there. This one has done less than 1000 km.
The Cam

KbS3xrH.jpg

31ELbhy.jpg

eciYrCP.jpg

and the follower,,, supplied by the Cam Grinder

FPAZprs.jpg

I've seen this all a few times before and from the same shop,,,

Seriously! what the hell
How are people aloud to be in business and produce poo like this?

#49 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

Cricky!!!

I thought my old cam/followers were bad when it was stripped down but that is totally butchered!

#50 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

wow, thats really poor!!

#51 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Have you ever tried to drill a cam follower from a genuine rover austin engine, there hard as *******, Even my lathe struggles to take the meat of the flat end. These must be monkey metal!

#52 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:55 PM

Or a very bad 'shape' on the bottom.
I think I said this yesterdya too, why isn't anyone making roller cams for the mini? Might be hard on a 1275, but certainly doable on a 998 me thinks. ( tapper chest covers are ideal to fit those plates you need to stop the followers from rotating)

#53 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:05 PM

because its not really practical to get a setup that works into the space available, check my post on page 3 regarding roller lifters.

#54 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

Why do most cam follower suppliers not give any specs about the hardness of the faces as this is rather important?

Is it because most people don't ask?

#55 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

I think it is because they don't know.

Once I had a conversation with one of the major suppliers. He said that when they place an order with a manufacturer they do specify such things as material specification and surface finish, heat treatment, etc. However, it is difficult for a vendor to carry out quality control checks on every batch. Doing so would seriously push up the sale price and, as we all know, most want the 'cheapest price possible'. We see it on here with people asking 'where are the cheapest ........ '?

I have always used the standard cam followers from Mini Spares and have never, ever had a cam follower failure. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have even run double valve springs and high-lift rockers at up to 7000 rpm with those followers with no issues.

#56 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:58 AM

Yes I think you're right there about wanting the cheapest.

It's a part that we should insist on being of top verifiable quality as one bad follower can ruin an engine.

#57 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

Here are some links I've found on the subject for anyone interested:

http://www.lotuselan...?t=30196&start=

https://www.tr-regis...-cam-followers/

https://www.enginebu...er-of-the-year/

https://www.tapatalk...owers-t828.html

http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/mgb20.htm

#58 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

The problem for the vendors is how far to go with the inspection/quality control.

As an example you might take components being made by a third party for an aircraft. Every part has to have been individually inspected and have a 'Release Note' before being fitted. The materials also have to be checked on a 'batch inspection' basis with one out of every so-many having to be fully tested which then renders it scrap.

I worked as a design engineer on aviation products and when a drawing was issued it specified the exact materials, the dimensional tolerances, the surface finishes and any heat treatments required. Thus something like, say, an oil pump which costs around £20 for an A-Series engine would probably cost around £200 if it were to be inspected and released for an aeroplane.

How would a vendor have batch testing carried out? One way would be to find a local University with a materials laboratory and pay them to fully test, say, one in each 100 from a batch of components and to issue a 'certificate of compliance'. Of course, once those submitting quotations for the small volumes required (in manufacturing terms) realised that batch testing would be happening, their prices would go up as well. Thus your £20 oil pump would then cost a lot more and there are many who would then buy from a cheaper supplier The vendor of the 'quality checked' parts would sell even less and the prices would go up even more.

It is a vicious circle for those selling parts for classic cars since the volumes are so relatively low and it is all 'price driven' rather than 'quality driven'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users