#1 tjspragg

tjspragg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Capital Minis

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

So I've just moved to the frozen north (Sweden) and winter will soon be on its way.

For one reason or another, my 1999 MPI Cooper S is going to be off the road for at least the next six months. It's going to take some time to register it in the Swedish system, and I want to use the time to get some long overdue jobs done on the car.

The main point though - is that for 99.9% of the time - it's going to be sitting in a garage.

My question is - what are your tips for long term storage?

From scouring the forums so far, I've gathered the following:

- Cat litter trays in the cabin to soak up moisture

- Over inflate tyres to prevent flat spots from sitting

- Disconnect the battery to save it going flat

- Chuck a cover over it to save the paint

Am I missing something fundamental? Any and all suggestions welcome!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Damp! You won't see much of that.

I would get it up on stands my self. Not that I ever did.

Some pointers. Winter tyres are a must between the months of X and Y I forget which exactly so ask.

The jobs you are planning. Just service and replace original parts? No modding. Modding could cause issues.

Main thing. Anti freeze and washer fluid. Make sure it is strong enough. I have seen -35. I have also miss read the screen wash (or did not read it) and filled up with summer strength. Car had to spend a night in a heated garage.

Main thing talk to the locals about the weather. It will be turning soon. No long Autumn.

#3 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:35 PM

You have most of it covered. 

I am in Sweden, but in the south, so our winters are comparable to that of Scotland, but I do store my car over the winter. 

Probably I don't do as much as I should, I just leave it on the wheels, On the hope that there is a nice dry sunny winters day to take it out. 

Instead of disconnecting the battery, either do so and bring it inside or keep it connected with a trickle charger. this means the alarm will still work. 

Nicks tip on the antifreeze is a good one and you can buy little testing devices which suck up a little antifreeze/coolant and tell you the strength of the mixture. probably a good idea for you for you to test that given you have come from central europe. 

Nick also has a good point on modifications, it is tough. 

Why will it take time to register in the Swedish system, should only take a couple of weeks. 

Where are you moving to?

#4 tjspragg

tjspragg

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: Capital Minis

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

Thanks both for the tips - especially the checking the antifreeze and tricle charge vs disconnecing- I'll get on it!

Winter tyres won't be an issue this winter as when I finally get it registered, I'll be declaring it off the road. (Craig - the only reason it's taking so long is because it took me ages to be issued a personal number - which I needed to get the process started! Since you asked - I'm in Stockholm now!)

Which modifications is a good question. Initial plans are to slowly be replacing original parts - but I did have some longer term plans for some engine upgrades. Is the issue with mods winter related, or worse - approval to drive on Swedish roads?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:14 AM

for first registration have it as stock as possible. mods that don't change the look too much are ok. big changes in power (see Craig's build) require approval etc.

also anything that changes the usage, for example fitting a tow bar would require documentation and checking and insurance company informing.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

Don't leave too much petrol in the tank as unleaded fuel goes off quite quickly, although it takes longer to go off in the sealed system of an injection car. Fresh petrol before starting again in 6 months will dilute the small amount in the tank......my carb Mini runs roughly or fails to start once the petrol has gone off usually after several months. Even my Honda lawn mower won't run smoothly on any I have drained out in the past.

Also leave the handbrake off if possible and press the clutch pedal occasionally to prevent things sticking.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 September 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#7 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

Don't leave too much petrol in the tank as unleaded fuel goes off quite quickly, although it takes longer to go off in the sealed system of an injection car. Fresh petrol before starting again in 6 months will dilute the small amount in the tank......my carb Mini runs roughly or fails to start once the petrol has gone off usually after several months. Even my Honda lawn mower won't run smoothly on any I have drained out in the past.

Also leave the handbrake off if possible and press the clutch pedal occasionally to prevent things sticking.

There is conflicting advice with the fuel thing when you google it. As you say, fuel goes off so best not to leave too much in the tank. However, an empty tank also encourages condensation, which can rot the tank from the inside out.

#8 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

I am in Sweden, but in the south, so our winters are comparable to that of Scotland, but I do store my car over the winter. 

Probably I don't do as much as I should, I just leave it on the wheels, On the hope that there is a nice dry sunny winters day to take it out. 

Instead of disconnecting the battery, either do so and bring it inside or keep it connected with a trickle charger. this means the alarm will still work. 

Nicks tip on the antifreeze is a good one and you can buy little testing devices which suck up a little antifreeze/coolant and tell you the strength of the mixture. probably a good idea for you for you to test that given you have come from central europe. 

Why will it take time to register in the Swedish system, should only take a couple of weeks. 

Where are you moving to?

been living in Sweden(Malmo)over 2 years myself, didnt think there was too much of a mini scene though

where are you based?

sorry to go off topic!

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

he is close to you.

#10 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

Where are you moving to?

been living in Sweden(Malmo)over 2 years myself, didnt think there was too much of a mini scene though

where are you based?

sorry to go off topic!

Indeed I am around 40 Km for you.

#11 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

Hi

regarding fuel you can use a fuel stabilizer which will help to prevent water being absorbed into it, as modern fuels now contains a higher level of bio fuel ethanol which is hygroscopic, it absorbs water, I used the briggs and stratton one below in my MG midget which wasn't run over last winter and it worked well, the car started easily as it was on a battery conditioner not trickle charger 

I actually used this, it is a bit expensive but as a one off over winter it's not too bad although I'm sure there will be other versions available

https://www.briggsan...technology.html

and regarding the battery it is better to use a battery conditioner than a trickle charger

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users