#91 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Local Club: south warwickshire minis

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

wow, thats quite interesting to me, ive wired parts of our garage from one plug socket. So some lights, jet wash, compressor, all threw this. Maybe a rethink is inorder too!

that plug has got hot, maybe its terminals when welding have got hot and then corroded.

God knows how long it's been like this but it does explain why my welder hasn't blown the fuse in about a year.

Lucky escape.

My brother bought a house and a plug inside had a wire that disappeared through the ceiling. Turns out it went to a transformer boxed in under the eaves feeding a security light on the front of the house.

When he looked further a 30A feed from a removed cooker was cut off and buried in the kitchen wall. One misplaced screw could have killed someone which was funny because the previous owner had split the insulation on this wire with a screw to hang stuff above the new cooker.

Then there was the toilet connected to a soil pipe with flexible tumble dryer exhaust ducting, the RSJ in a load bearing wall that only extended half way over the doorway it was associated with............

The surveyor before purchase told them they needed to put energy saver bulbs in but it was fine otherwise.

When we moved into the house we had a drive-by survey done which apparently involved someone driving past to make sure there was a house there.......................so as the saying goes you get what you pay for...........or not in your case

Edited by nicnoo, 23 November 2017 - 10:30 PM.

#92 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Quick update, not much to show but I've been prepping the front end panels for final fitment.

I've also painted the insides as it's much easier to do it at this point, rather than when its on the car.

J2v22Sv.jpg

Edited by nicnoo, 07 December 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#93 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

wow, thats quite interesting to me, ive wired parts of our garage from one plug socket. So some lights, jet wash, compressor, all threw this. Maybe a rethink is inorder too!

that plug has got hot, maybe its terminals when welding have got hot and then corroded.

Thats the problem with electrical systems, people assume that a 13A fuse only allows 13A of current to pass but this isn't the case. 

A fuse (or circuit breaker) is designed to protect the user and/or equipment in the event of fault causing the equipment to be become live or in the event of a direct short either live to neutral or live to earth , in the event of an overload  they aren't very effective.

Also need to make sure that any sockets in use in a garage are protected by an RCD to provide additional protection to the user.

Edited by Homersimpson, 07 December 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#94 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thats the problem with electrical systems, people assume that a 13A fuse only allows 13A of current to pass but this isn't the case. 

A fuse (or circuit breaker) is designed to protect the user and/or equipment in the event of fault causing the equipment to be become live or in the event of a direct short either live to neutral or live to earth , in the event of an overload  they aren't very effective.

Also need to make sure that any sockets in use in a garage are protected by an RCD to provide additional protection to the user.

It is nice now the lights in the house don't flicker when I fire the welder up ☺

#95 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

my dad in our garage wired up a 15 amp plug for his arc welder, so ive just this week wired an extension off that for the welder, and also my oil filled rad... The rest ill keep off the plug idea i think.

glad your ok mate ;)

#96 LionelMonza

LionelMonza

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

very impressive and interesting work. could you tell me what do you sand the welds so that they are so flat on the corner panel? a picture of the tool

you used 

#97 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

very impressive and interesting work. could you tell me what do you sand the welds so that they are so flat on the corner panel? a picture of the tool

you used

Next time i'm in the garage i will. But in the meantime look up work of Ben_O at Mill Road Garage, as his work is

Impeccable. 

#98 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

Coming along nicely - good work on the bonnet, very easy to get distortion I imagine.

#99 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Just read through your build thread. Really nice work :) Love the idea of a mk1 styled Mini. 

#100 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

Coming along nicely - good work on the bonnet, very easy to get distortion I imagine.

There's loads of distortion despite my best efforts, nothing that can't be knocked out but I will have to take out the bracing under the bonnet skin so I can get to both sides.

Strangely enough this will be my next job as I can't put my A-panels on yet due to my spot welder packing up and having to  wait for the new part to arrive.

Meanwhile, in a garage, far far away...........................................

Got over excited and welded the front end on, starting with yet more hit and miss plug welding.........................................

4r5Dwtg.jpg

Cleaned up.............................

ZD87kJN.jpg

...............and painted........................

O76Ycri.jpg

T49W6k8.jpg

You never know I might have a whole body shell by Christmas :D   

#101 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

looks good, i take it you just used the edge of a grinder to tidy the welds up?

#102 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

looks good, i take it you just used the edge of a grinder to tidy the welds up?

That was the way I intended to go but I remembered I have a 2" grinding wheel for my dye grinder that gets in the channel quite nicely, it leaves a rough finish so I cleaned it up with my 10mm belt sander.

Maybe we should have a Thread showing which tools we use for which job. might be a useful resource for people.

#103 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

yep that would be good idea!

#104 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

.................and so on to the bonnet. In order to take a few steps forward we have to take many backward.

I needed to get to the back of my repair patch so I can bash it into shape, this means removing the bracing which I wasn't too disappointed about since I keep noticing more and more rot spots.

6gMHKtf.jpg

CKLUKOs.jpg

6B6JJDg.jpg

VwGIqRL.jpg

BvENv8C.jpg

LyTBBcl.jpg

yIInRfL.jpg

Osaty4R.jpg

Now that I can get to the back it was much easier to hammer things into shape.

The next issue were the couple of high spots that had developed as a result of welding distortion and over enthusiastic hammering, for these I would need to shrink the metal using heat. No photo's of this but just type "metal shrinking" into youtube and there's loads of videos on there.

Finally it's roughly the right shape so I can address the rot.

I seem to remember saying this patch would be easier than replacing the front lip on the other bonnet ...............................I may have been wrong.

Edited by nicnoo, 15 December 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#105 nicnoo

nicnoo

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

Happy new year everyone.

Progress has been a little slow over the festive period but i have been working on one little project that I think will come in very handy for helping with all the lumps and bumps in the bonnet. So this is how it looked at the end of last year.

lDVsnD9.jpg

A thin guide coat shows up all the lumps, bumps and hammer blows i have inflicted on it, and, as i mentioned in my last post, I'd used the heat and cool method to shrink some of the larger lumps down to a more workable level, and, to be honest i could have simply skimmed over it with lashings of body filler but that would have been far too easy.

Trolling through You Tube for inspiration i came across shrinking disks, which are essentially a large stainless steel disk to put on you angle grinder, the theory being that the flat disk rubbing across the work surface will heat only the high spots it comes into contact with, the disk is then removed and the heated spots cooled quickly to shrink them and bring them level with the original surface.  Genius.

To cut an already long story short i'm too cheap to buy one for 40 quid so i decided to make one. Here's how I did it.

First I needed a flat round piece of stainless. Candidates included a bin lid, sauce pan and a dog bowl. I went for the dog bowl as I don't actually have a dog.

6pnsnQo.jpg

I marked several lines to give me the centre for the mounting hole 

EdyxlVc.jpg

Then i marked about 8mm from the face to give me a nice flange around the outer edge

Lk4qLxx.jpg

gDDRD5V.jpg

0nuHMeu.jpg

This I cut along, roughly at first and then finished up with the grinder.

Q9apm7g.jpg

T0vzo4Y.jpg

The next part i actually messed up slightly as you will see in a moment. I drilled the centre mounting hole out to 7/8" (if memory serves) which is the mounting hole diameter for a standard 4 1/2" disk.

The final part was slightly tricky as the bottom of the disk needs to be flat, so i had to press a dimple into the centre to clear the grinder retaining nut.

gM0mUre.jpg

I did this by stacking a number of retaining nuts on the desk under the disk

OIyxhaH.jpg

Then i looked around for a suitable piece of tubing to put over the top, pressing, or in my case, hammering, down over the nuts to give the desired dimple. Unable to find a piece of tube the right size or strength i resorted to using and old trailer hub.

1gl76jA.jpg

The following image shows why i shouldn't have drilled the centre hole when i did, as i pressed the tube (hub) over the nuts the material stretched and the 7/8" hole is now approx 1"

mL9eOGd.jpg

This is not ideal but because i used the retaining nuts from the grinder, the dimple is quite tight on that so there's minimal movement in use.

And the final product..................

Hohg9w4.jpg

RbENdq3.jpg

So the question is does it work ??

Remember the bonnet from earlier ??

lDVsnD9.jpg

After 20 mins experimenting (and killing my already half knackered angle grinder)

SrbZxzX.jpg

To coin a phrase "wrinkles and fine lines appear visibly reduced"

And another 20 mins today 

rvSR0bx.jpg

Overall I'm quite pleased with the initial results.For the cost of a few hours work i have a tool that should last me at least a couple of projects and you never know i might just deem it necessary to buy the real deal once this one gives way 

Edited by nicnoo, 11 January 2018 - 12:16 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users