#1 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:11 PM

I want to start off with saying,

This actually wont be your typical build thread. This being said is that I have already completed the car and am currently driving and enjoying it. The building commenced when I purchased the car back April 2014, getting the car on the road August 2016. The car was entered in 2 shows so far nearing the end of the season and has humbly won at both shows drawing lots of attention.

So my plan for this thread is to provide a glimpse of the car complete and over the next little while update photos of the progress made over the past 2 years getting the car in the current state. Reason for this is I am a service member and will be deploying in October to Kuwait and thought this would be a great opportunity to pass my time and share what I have accomplished.  

so,

Stay tuned and look forward to frequent updates.

Cheers

1aCqHra.jpg

WcpPvP6.jpg

yOw286M.jpg

#2 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Is it difficult to get rid of all the 'edges'??? Can you show how you did that? I really like the clean look...

#3 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

Is it difficult to get rid of all the 'edges'??? 

Getting rid of them and making it safe at the same time is the challenge so it takes forever and a lot of planning.  

#4 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:57 PM

The beginning phase of my Mini,

Phase 1

After years of helping my dad with his mini project, I felt it was time to join the mini community and purchase one of my own. So with a mini in mind the hunt started back in winter of 2014. In the start looking for a good driver to tinker with I came across a mid 90's Jap spec Rover. the seller wasn't willing to hold onto the car until pick up a few months later. The search continued, discovering a authentic 70 Cooper s  in rough but drivable state. The seller was looking for a quick sale but put me on to the car I purchased.

After months of conversing and finding out all I could about the little 72, I felt good about the car and the seller, I decided this was the car for me. Boasting an early Pro-motive kit (number 33) complete with the 4XV carb model R1 engine. thinking the price was right, I decided to commit and put forth $2000 of the $5000 ticket price down as deposit.

Finding out the car designed  for the track....fitted  with a fully welded roll cage (rough I might add), fully adjustable suspension with custom radius arms and upper and lower front arms, re-drilled Suzuki Swift GT hubs/brakes and a whole slew of other hoaky Mods and customizations, I started planning my end of the build thinking it would only be a matter of a colour change and getting rid of the tasteless styling cues as the seller was adamant the car was ready for paint.....disappointingly this was in fact so far from the truth. 

the reality is the shell was a giant turd, and should have been scrapped...

These are the photos sent....seems like mostly a solid car, and I was able to look past a lot as I was getting essentially a Pro-motive kit and engine for 5k

#5 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

hbva6Y8l.jpg1UoaZs7l.jpgpOypLcEl.jpgHQ22viWl.jpgx1PGvWml.jpgDHVRB0dl.jpgzMlVqirl.jpgOorXNBAl.jpgZ1DVoexl.jpgwNU76iSl.jpg7huB2PRl.jpg

#6 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

what I got....

Putting it lightly, the extreme opposite from what was described. with tons of headaches over the next few years. Car was not even anywhere near ready for paint, body fill everywhere, tons of metal cut out from the body. Hours upon hours of fab work still needing to be completed, did I mention the painted over rust and everywhere you look red brushed on bridge paint.

post above were the pictures sent to me....

This is what I picked up after finding out the car had sat outside for 2 years in tent.

ZDMdRxLl.jpgXl63Ierl.jpgeEDKIZIl.jpg2VbWBOPl.jpgnZrPwmol.jpgiE8WgR7l.jpgw8x9oNWl.jpgSoX4rCql.jpgsicrGUYl.jpgMpIx1Jhl.jpg

This is what I had to deal with, so now that this is out of the way,

stay tuned for some corrective maintenance....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users