#1 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hello Everyone

Recently acquired a blue mini-based Biota Mk2. So I am joining for help and advice and to see other projects. 

Many years ago I used to own a red Mk1 but didn't have the time or resources to progress it,

Having started out owning a Mini 850, fitting Stage 2 head, Cooper S discs, etc., I was immediately taken by the Biota when I saw the sales literature. At the time they had just ceased production so I was very lucky for one to turn up in the classified ads of CCC just down the road from me. Could only afford it without its 1275 S engine. So I fitted the one from my parents rusted Morris 1100 and it became my everyday transport when the Mini died.

Now I have one again and am looking forward to some track days and replicating the fun I had with my first one.

#2 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

Welcome!

I actually am helping my friend rebuild his Biota Mk 1. He's had it for about 12 years, but it had been in a field for about 25 years before he got it. Let's just say that it's going to take a while before it's back on the road as his Mrs only lets him out one night per week... We've had to separate the body from the chassis (no easy task!!) and have also replaced the bottom foot of the chassis amongst other things. The body's now back on and we're currently putting the bulkheads back in. Give us some pictures and start up a rebuild thread  :thumbsup:

It was like this nearly all over...

Biota004.jpg

Biota005.jpg

Biota001.jpg

Biota006.jpg

#3 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:31 PM

Thank you, MrBounce

I won't be needing to do a rebuild thread as its already roadgoing, MOTd etc. However I have had some cooling issues, need to find out more about the engine, could do with new seats etc.. so I could do a development thread.

I'll post some better pictures soon but it's this one.Attached File  IMG_0335.jpg   25.19K   5 downloads

#4 Vic Price

Vic Price

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Welcome IvorBiota,I also own a mk1 Biota here in Chesterfield, And this is my second one, The one I sold many years ago was red Can you remember the reg no off your old one,

Regards Vic.

#5 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Vic

My old one was DFD697K. I bought it in Bristol and sold it to someone in Redhill, but not to it's current owner.

What's happening with your Biota?

#6 Vic Price

Vic Price

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

Hi IvorBiota, I've not done much at all with my present Biota I'm trying to get the dash, gear change sorted but I can not remember how my old one was configured, Plus the guy who bought the Biota moulds was going to make me the inner side cockpit moulds, But that was two years ago, So I've stopped holding my breath on that one, As for your car when Nick mentioned it was going up for sale I messaged him for a price as I fancied it but he never replied, Hope your having fun.

Regards Vic.   

#7 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hi Vic

My Biota has a floor gear change - an old style remote extended 18" with a section of scaffold pole - and I want to go back to the dash mounted original. It was so direct. It only works on the old remote style gearbox and connects to the gearchange shaft that comes out of the back of the casing, doing away with the interlocking knuckle arrangement etc.. The trouble is I need a to get a new gear lever made up and also recreate the framing below the dash that it was attached to with a simple pipe bracket! Nick did think they still had the old gear lever but....

I'm going to do a project page documenting what I've done, am going to have to do and thinking aloud about what I would like to do.

#8 Vic Price

Vic Price

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

Hi IvorBiota, My gearbox is the early remote box, would I be right in thinking that the dash change rod would connect to the splined shaft after the knuckle is removed, Its so long since I had my first, But I do remember a U.J joint close to the gearbox connecting gear change rod to gearbox.

Regards Vic.

#9 IvorBiota

IvorBiota

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

Hi Vic

That's right. There was UJ on the rod, fairly close to the gearbox end. In essence the dash change rod was just an extension of the shaft that comes out of the back of the gearbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users