Photo

Spi Not Charging ... And A Little Steam From The Bonnet?

Best Answer Alpenflitzer , 23 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

When do you see a little smoke? When the engine is hot? Or from beginning of a ride? I had smoke coming out and found a cable which was more or less burnt. It was to thin to stand the wattage. Has anybody before you done some rebuilt of the electrical system? You would better start to check all cables, connections and fuses. If the smoke has its origin in the electrics, a fuse should have been burnt out.

Two years ago I had smoke coming out of the hood. Origin was burnt oil from the oil seal at the diff. The oil dripped on the down pipe while driving.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hi there, hoping someone can help with my 92 rover mini spi, japan spec (i hardly use the AC)

Here're the symptoms

1. On a cold start in the mornings, voltage increases steadily to just under 13v, probably around 12.8 or 12.9v. I know this isn't a good sign already. 

2. Once i move off, the voltage actually drops further to mid 12s, hovering around 12.5v. This is independent on engine rpm. Going faster doesn't mean more volts!

3. Sometimes when i'm stuck at the lights for say a minute, I note just a little bit of steam coming seeping through the driver (right hand) of the bonnet near the windshield??? Temperature is perfectly fine though, fans are all operational. 

Any ideas?? My battery earth and engine steady earth straps are in good condition, recently cleaned and inspected. Alternator isn't slipping but the belt has not been replaced for 2 years. Battery is brand new. 

Best,

Kopi

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Alternator should be providing at least 14v. Have you put a multimeter on it rather than go by the gauge?

With regards to your steam issue, I'd take it for a drive until it does it again, get home, pop the bonnet with the engine running and have a look to see if you can locate it.

#3 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Steve. I've cross-checked the gauge readings with my multimeter (at idle of course) ... so I assume that's fine?

I tried to pop the hood once i reached home, but i suppose that little bit of steam just dispersed so quickly I could not quite locate it. Will try again tomorrow. 

Any suspects? Could some electrical component be drawing too much amps or something? (I'm fairly hopeless with the electrical aspects if you can't already tell)

kopi

#4 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

What about the bearings of you alternator? Are you sure that the belt is not glassy and therefore slip at higher revs.? How old is the belt? Is the belt oily?

Or you may have a cable which suffers insulation?

#5 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:36 AM

Thanks all. Found some time to do some basic tests!

1) alternator plug disconnected = battery voltage at rest 12.48V. I know ... this isn't great already :(

2) reconnected the alternator plug, removed plug cover and tested voltage at the 2 large terminals with engine running. I get 14.05V with no load, 13.80V with headlamps and air conditioning on!

Since my battery is brand new (a month old) , I presume that my alternator is working as well? The belt honestly seems fine but I'll do a quick switch out to eliminate that problem.

Another clue perhaps? I realised my courtesy lights aren't working.

Appreciate any help! Desperate to get this working as my volts drop to 12.5-12.7V when driving without load sometimes and never exceeds 13.5V!

#6 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:20 AM   Best Answer

When do you see a little smoke? When the engine is hot? Or from beginning of a ride? I had smoke coming out and found a cable which was more or less burnt. It was to thin to stand the wattage. Has anybody before you done some rebuilt of the electrical system? You would better start to check all cables, connections and fuses. If the smoke has its origin in the electrics, a fuse should have been burnt out.

Two years ago I had smoke coming out of the hood. Origin was burnt oil from the oil seal at the diff. The oil dripped on the down pipe while driving.

#7 kommander

kommander

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

I had a similar charging issue, with the voltage falling as the engine was revved. I decided to attach an earth strap to the alternator itself, and the problem went away.

#8 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

Thanks guys, long overdue but thought i should close this out. An earth strap sorted the issues and the smoke was indeed from a burnt fuse. 

#9 kommander

kommander

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:20 PM

Great!

#10 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Apart from the head gasket the only other source of a water leak in that area would be the inlet manifold. possably around the inlet manifold heater element.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users