Photo

Rear Radius Arm Cover Trims

Best Answer elf66 , 13 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the advise.

I did consider rivnuts but they are only available in metric threads. I am now also lead to believe that they were fitted with 1/4 UNF round head machine screws. So its off to minispares to buy the covers before the sills go on. I can then line them up and weld some nuts inside the sills.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 elf66

elf66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

I know not many people bother with fitting them but i want to keep my 66 elf as standard as possible. Before i weld my outer sills in place i was wondering how they fixed into place. I have not purchased them yet so i cant eye them up.

Are they just fixed with self tappers or do i need to weld nuts inside the sills.

Many thanks

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

My first Mini had them but the screws had corroded so badly that it was impossible to tell what they were supposed to be. I threw the things away.

You could use Rivnuts rather than welding, and that would be preferable to replace self tappers too.

#3 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

I have just checked the Somerford web site and there is a pan head screw with lock washer and a self tapper each side. Each of the screws also has a plain washer. So there "should" be one nut welded to the sill or heel board already, except that they will probably be made for later cars than 1969, and not even drilled.

#4 elf66

elf66

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:56 AM   Best Answer

Thanks for the advise.

I did consider rivnuts but they are only available in metric threads. I am now also lead to believe that they were fitted with 1/4 UNF round head machine screws. So its off to minispares to buy the covers before the sills go on. I can then line them up and weld some nuts inside the sills.

#5 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Imperial riv nuts are available in use them at work quite a bit but don't think there cheap

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

They are just not as easy to find, and therefore possibly more expensive, but only a few are needed. You need to do some Googling.

http://www.memfast.c...?cat=6138003713

http://www.bresco.co...a.-BSF785P.html

I don't know which size you require but these are two of many possible sources. I just Googled "UNF rivnut".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users