14 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

So it looks like my poor Focus is going to be written off after getting rear ended on a roundabout 😢 which means I now need a new car.

I have a young child now (2 months old) and was thinking it'd be pretty cool to have a day van or something like that for the coming years. I don't mind doing work myself to kit it all out etc. It needs to be small enough I can use it everyday for work, but big enough to get a bit of stuff in. It also need to have the ability to relatively quickly whack a couple of extra seats in the back. A VW Transporter seems the best bet but I am open to any suggestions really.

I don't have a huge budget, maybe 3k for the vehicle (not including any work). Does anyone know of any good places to go searching? I'm thinking about camper forums and the like, rather than sites like AutoTrader. I'll also give eBay a scour.

I'll probably end up with another car to be honest but I at least want to see what's available. Thanks in advance for any tips.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

http://www.vwt4forum...splay.php?f=146

a word of warning about ebay etc there are a whole pile of scams out there. if it looks too good to be true go see it. if they say no then leave it. if they say it is xyz then say oh I have a mate just down the road. and see if you hear back.

also check out BusterJack (JackBuster) on face book or just google. he picks up scams and posts them on his blog.

#3 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

Does it have to be a van? I know a few people who just use bigger cars for their trades. A Ford Galaxy with tinted windows could serve the purpose quite well.

#4 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

Get a VW Caddy.  Plenty about and can get rear seats in them too if required.

#5 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

You'll struggle to get a good T4 for 3k

Good vans are hard to come by for low money, and that's why a lot of tradesmen are using estate cars an people carriers.. It's not a bad idea..

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

A friend of mine finds it quite difficult to find insurance companies who will insure a van for private use at a reasonable price compared to a similar size estate car?

Some local car auctions also have 'Van days' each week when you can often pick up cheaper vans being sold off from large company fleets which have been well maintained.

Edited by mab01uk, 20 October 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#7 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. I might leave it a couple more years yet then and save some cash separately for it.

Which still leaves me needing to get a new car. The idea of a people carrier as a day van doesn't work for me too much; I want to be able to sit in and turn the seats to face each other etc. maybe with a couple of storage spaces and a pull out bed or something.

An estate works in terms of a big work horse and you can easily fit camping gear and stuff inside, and use a tow bar mounted cycle carrier etc. But if I get an estate, it needs to be moderately quick, good on fuel and tax as low as possible. I really like the look of the MG ZT-T in the dark grey. But I know that logically the 5 series is a better buy; it'll be a nicer drive, a bit quicker and more comfortable. It also doesn't look as dated inside as the MG.

Any other suggestions? I don't want something too dull like an Astra estate although they aren't bad at all. The Mondeo estates are decent work horses as well from what I can gather. I did see a couple of Vauxhall Signuns which seem to be a compromise between full size estate and smaller hatch back but the rear is pretty ugly!! Not many around though, but I suspect they share a lot of parts with an Astra.

#8 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

I also plan on keeping it a fair while if I can, and there is a good chance we'll have a dog in 2-3 years.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

Any other suggestions? I don't want something too dull like an Astra estate although they aren't bad at all. The Mondeo estates are decent work horses as well from what I can gather. I did see a couple of Vauxhall Signuns which seem to be a compromise between full size estate and smaller hatch back but the rear is pretty ugly!! Not many around though, but I suspect they share a lot of parts with an Astra.

they were the continuation from the Vecta (Caviler) and have now been replace by the Insignia.

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:43 AM

Ah ok. Thanks.

#11 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

Skoda Octavia estates are huge, easy to maintain and above all cheap.

Lots of parts are shared with the VW Golf and they're fairly decent to drive. Get a Laurin & Klement and there's more toys than most too. Even the hatches have enormous boots.

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

How about a Voyager or a poor mans voyager?

#13 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

Get yourself a CHEVY ASTRO  or a GMC  SAFARI, 7 seats that you can remove any if you want space, plus a 4.3 V6 engine. Mostly come as auto's but are 4 speed overdrives so are dead good on mpg,and there a quick little mode of transport.

They come as people carrier or day-van styles,so you get to choose what suits you.

There are loads on e/bay,and for £3g  you'll get a gooden,especially a Japanese import as the Japs buy em new and sell em on at around 30-40 thousand mile,and they are well cared for,plus NO SALT on roads in JAPAN.

They are LHD,but having owned yanks for over 30+ years it's better to have a LHD if you live in the UK (don't ask why) but you get used to it in a couple of hours,ask any yank owners/clubs etc.

Best of luck with your search.

#14 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Went to see a 520D and 320D yesterday (Sunday). Turned up to a scruffy looking yard. Conveniently, both cars parked together. Looked at the 5 series first. It was a bit dirty inside, not the end of the world I though, I can clean it right up but knock some money off. Tried starting it up, battery dead. The guy wouldn't give me both keys at the same time but had a look in the 3 series as it was open. Was also dirty. No effort made at all. Decided to just walk away.

So instead of continuing the hunt for BMWs, we popped into a couple of local garages. To my surprise, the Mrs quite likes the 2006-2011 shape Honda Civic. The one in the dealer was 5.5k, which is a lot more than we wanted to spend. I am going to look at one tomorrow; 2.2 CDTi, panoramic sunroof, sat nav built in, it looks clean and tidy. Fuel is good and tax is cheap. It also seems surprisingly versatile with the storage space as well. The boot is bigger than a Focus, it has the under floor storage, the seats fold up and down, the glove box is apparently chilled, and is pretty big as well. So all in all, seems to fit the bill very well indeed.

Anyone have one of these? Things that I need to check for tomorrow? Cheers

#15 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

The CDTi Civic goes like the clappers, drove one as a company car nearly 8 years ago now. Lovely thing.

Ask if its ever had a new clutch. There used to be an issue in the early ones,

Edited by Big Sam, 25 October 2016 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users