b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

Just failed my (Begium) MOT!

Reason;

Replaced 'complete' braking system ready for last years MOT which included BRAIDED front hoses.

And by the way, it passed!

Returned 12 months later (today), only to find that the 'upgrade' to Stainless Braided hoses is not allowed, and that I should replace with original rubber ones........

When I tried to explain that the 'upgrade' made the system 'safer', he said that wasn't the issue, and that you have altered the car from its' original state.

He failed to notice:

Rear RC40 Box, Three-Spoke wooden steering wheel and the front seats from a Rover 200.

Old ones not kept (obviously), so minispares will get £20 out of me, this weekend.

Rant over, and I hope you have better MOTs where ever you are.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Thats annoying, shame you can't put some rubber pipe around the braided hose for the MOT :lol:

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

Steel braided hoses will be homologated for the Mini as they were available from Special Tuning. Would they also fail a car with optional alloy wheels, sunroof etc? It's probably less hassle to slap some rubber ones on though.

#4 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

Steel braided hoses will be homologated for the Mini as they were available from Special Tuning. Would they also fail a car with optional alloy wheels, sunroof etc? It's probably less hassle to slap some rubber ones on though.

Exactly what I'm going to do. £20 and an hour's work - far less hassle than pursuing it with e-mails........

And it puts on hold any engine upgrades (not really interested in), but will definately put a stop to putting discs up front!

Can't believe whoever signed this off, thinks that keeping to drums when discs are readily available actually knows much about road safety. Can someone please defend this rationale.

I have a set of 3,5 x 10's just for the MOT - Not going to turn up with my Mille Miglia 5 x 10's!

Edited by b_sdaddy, 21 October 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#5 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Just wrap in self amalgamating rubber tape, I really hope these type of mot tests don't come to the uk, will kill the classic car scene.

#6 Bungleaio

Bungleaio

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local Club: Not in one.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

Just wrap in self amalgamating rubber tape, I really hope these type of mot tests don't come to the uk, will kill the classic car scene.

If they do then there will be two sets of parts required. One to get you through the test and the other to use the rest of the time.

#7 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

That's one reason to leave the EU

#8 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

I had a similar problem with mine. Had it MOT'd a few weeks a go at the same garage that I've used for the past 3 years. Went in to collect it and the guy at the counter said it passed but needs some reflectors fitting... Now I have the Jewel rear lenses and have had them fitted for the past 6 years, maybe more, and yes I know by law you are suppose to have a rear facing reflector but it's never been picked up. Not even an advisory or a passing comment to say that they are needed but have turned a blind eye.

Anyway the MOT man decided it would be acceptable to screw some cheap reflectors to my mud flaps. So these are now ruined as they two flipping holes in them...

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

I have heard of MOT testers in the UK saying that braided hoses on a road car can degrade internally over time without the problem being visible by the tester, unlike rubber brake hoses?

Edited by mab01uk, 21 October 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#10 JBW

JBW

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

I have a friend who is an MOT tester in the UK & he's always said braided hoses are a fail, but he doesn't test my cars,one of (not a Mini) ,which has passed for the last 11 years with braided hoses fitted. I did replace them because the end fittings were rusting badly & know of someone who had one fail through rusting through, new ones have stainless fittings which seem more durable.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

For a long time, braided hoses were not legal here as they hadn't been submitted for a whiplash test, so as not tested for that aspect of the hose hadn't been done, it was a 'fail'.

In regards to Disc Brakes (or any other mods for that matter), does Belgium not have a modified scheme at all?  Perhaps something where a one off inspection by a certified engineer is done for specific mods and pursuant paperwork issued for the car ? 

#12 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:48 PM

If they do then there will be two sets of parts required. One to get you through the test and the other to use the rest of the time.

I'll need a second car :lol:

#13 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:55 PM

I had a similar problem with mine. Had it MOT'd a few weeks a go at the same garage that I've used for the past 3 years. Went in to collect it and the guy at the counter said it passed but needs some reflectors fitting... Now I have the Jewel rear lenses and have had them fitted for the past 6 years, maybe more, and yes I know by law you are suppose to have a rear facing reflector but it's never been picked up. Not even an advisory or a passing comment to say that they are needed but have turned a blind eye.

Anyway the MOT man decided it would be acceptable to screw some cheap reflectors to my mud flaps. So these are now ruined as they two flipping holes in them...

You can buy lengths of Velcro from Halfords, no need for screws mate.

#14 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

I have a friend who is an MOT tester in the UK & he's always said braided hoses are a fail, but he doesn't test my cars,one of (not a Mini) ,which has passed for the last 11 years with braided hoses fitted. I did replace them because the end fittings were rusting badly & know of someone who had one fail through rusting through, new ones have stainless fittings which seem more durable.

Check out 'MOTUK.co.uk' and have a look at the testers manual, surely there must be some kind of reference material for Belgium?

Edited by neal, 21 October 2016 - 11:00 PM.

#15 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

You can buy lengths of Velcro from Halfords, no need for screws mate.

Wasn't me who screwed them on. It was the MOT man who did it without asking me first. Turn up to pick it up with a fresh ticket and saw them fitted.

Will just ditch the flaps and refit it for next year MOT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users