10 replies to this topic

#1 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

I drained the oil out of an engine today and all the bit's on top of the steel in the photo came out, the holes drilled in the metal the bits are on are 5mm diameter. the largest bit of metal is 1mm thick. The engine ran pretty much fine when we drove it home ages ago. so we've stripped the engine from the gearbox to try and see what could be the problem, but from what we can see there isn't one. I think the head has been off/ changed in the past, but not sure if the GB has be split.

It's a 998 from a 1982 car. 

I know it's not much to go by but does anyone have any ideas what it could be from or where to look in the engine? Could it just have been a bit of metal accidentally dropped in and missed?

Attached Files

#2 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

Have you got a magnetic sump plug fitted? If so, was any of this stuck to it? I'm trying to find out if it's steel or alloy?

Rip your oil filter apart and have a look in there as well.

Edited by neal, 21 October 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

Have you got a magnetic sump plug fitted? If so, was any of this stuck to it? I'm trying to find out if it's steel or alloy?

sorry forgot to say it's magnetic

#4 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:57 PM

Ok, so it's definitely steel then, so we can rule out the alloy gearbox casing?

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

Ok, so it's definitely steel then, so we can rule out the alloy gearbox casing?

yep.

#6 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:03 PM

As mentioned, I would check the contents of your oil filter to see what's inside, this will give you a better idea of what other sizes of steel and how much has made it's way this far. Use a magnet and rub it over the filter paper. If it's made it's way this far then prepare yourself for a thorough check of everything!

Or you could wash and scrub the oil filter paper element in a glass bowl with some white spirit or petrol and an old tooth brush.

Edited by neal, 21 October 2016 - 10:23 PM.

#7 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

I drained the oil out of an engine today and all the bit's on top of the steel in the photo came out, the holes drilled in the metal the bits are on are 5mm diameter. the largest bit of metal is 1mm thick. The engine ran pretty much fine when we drove it home ages ago. so we've stripped the engine from the gearbox to try and see what could be the problem, but from what we can see there isn't one. I think the head has been off/ changed in the past, but not sure if the GB has be split.

It's a 998 from a 1982 car. 

I know it's not much to go by but does anyone have any ideas what it could be from or where to look in the engine? Could it just have been a bit of metal accidentally dropped in and missed?

:ohno:  O_O

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

Any other ideas? Will have a look in the filter in a minute.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

It looks more like bits of gearbox rather than anything from the engine, but that's really just a guess.

If you can't find what the debris is you might consider a precautionary gearbox strip & rebuild.

Also take off the big end and main bearing caps and check for damage to the crank. Fit a new oil pump and if there is any damage to the big-end or main journals remove the cam and check the cam bearings.

It is worth checking everything whilst the engine is split from the gearbox.

Also check/change the diff pin (look at the photos on the other current thread!).

Once it is all done you can be confident that it will last a long time.

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Could it be bits of crashed gears? Someone in past having trouble changing or trying to change down into first while moving?

#11 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:31 PM

It looks more like bits of gearbox rather than anything from the engine, but that's really just a guess.

If you can't find what the debris is you might consider a precautionary gearbox strip & rebuild.

Also take off the big end and main bearing caps and check for damage to the crank. Fit a new oil pump and if there is any damage to the big-end or main journals remove the cam and check the cam bearings.

It is worth checking everything whilst the engine is split from the gearbox.

Also check/change the diff pin (look at the photos on the other current thread!).

Once it is all done you can be confident that it will last a long time.

Could it be bits of crashed gears? Someone in past having trouble changing or trying to change down into first while moving?

Cheers guy's, Pretty sure it's not gears as they all look in good condition, it looks to be more flat steel like a locking tab and the bits pictured have just been munched up. will check it over though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users