#1 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

I'm in the process of finishing a restoration (bought someone else's half finished project). It's a 92 K reg mini sprite 1275. Got the engine installed, wired up appropriately. Checked all electrical systems before attempting to start, all good, all working.
Started the car, fine began tuning the carb / setting ignition timing etc, all ok
Went to start today (not much fuel in so was struggling to go) then all of a sudden lost all electrical power, no lights on dash, nothing to indicators, no power to starter.

Checked all earths points and all seem fine, nothing has changed!
Checked all fuses, all ok (checked 3 times visually and for continuity)
Battery is good, swapped out with another fully charged unit, no change.

I have power to the starter now, but it's very slow to turn and the indicators / hazards do not work. I thought this was an earth problem so ran a wire from the neg battery terminal to the neg on starter sol, and another from the engine to the bulk head, still no luck.

Any ideas / recommendations on what to check? Strange that I've now got some power back but indicators / hazards won't work ( flasher relay still clicks but no dash indicator or indicator lights).

Planning on having another crack at it tomorrow.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Paulb53, 21 October 2016 - 10:18 PM.

#2 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

double check ignition switch? swap it out?

sounds like something has come loose somewhere

i'd look over the starter solenoid and/or wiring to it also.

Edited by miniQ, 21 October 2016 - 10:27 PM.

#3 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

I checked the ignition switch through each stage and seems fine. I guess I could try a jumper wire set up to act as the key switch.

#4 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

double check ignition switch? swap it out?

sounds like something has come loose somewhere

i'd look over the starter solenoid and/or wiring to it also.

I agree with this, get your multimeter out buddy tomorrow, a wiring diagram, plenty of tea/coffee and peace and quiet.

#5 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:00 PM

Yep, will do.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

#6 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:16 PM

Yes, go to bed and have a good night's sleep, it sounds like you're going to need it!

Start checking from the battery at the back of the car and work your way forward towards the front of the car and check everything along the way. By doing this you will satisfy your mind that EVERYTHING is as it should be, you may find a few anomalies along the way which can be sorted now ( now means tomorrow and includes cleaning terminals etc.)and hopefully you will reduce further headaches and late nights.

IMO minis need preventative maintenance and lots of it.

Let us know how you get on because we don't always get to read and find out the outcome.

Good luck

Edited by neal, 21 October 2016 - 11:25 PM.

#7 rhys-89

rhys-89

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: minifreekz

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

Have you got the later type starter with solenoid attached ? If so have you checked the link wire as I had a similar. I large problem and turns out this wire had deteriorated some what so I re soldered a new one in.

#8 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi, yes it's the later type with attached sol, checked the earth / link wire and seems fine.

Be back on it this aft, will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

#9 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

No such luck so far, brew time!

Tried another earth cable from battery to starter sol, no difference, tried another earth from the head to the bulk head, no luck.

Every now and then when flick the hazard switch there's a slight ilumination to te button but no click from the relay, starter just clicks / barely turns over.
Checked all fuses again, all good, checked earths all seem good.

#10 Italianjob

Italianjob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Local Club: Not a member yet.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

How well have you checked the fuses? Visual inspection is not good enough I'm afraid, I had all sorts of electrical gremlins at one point.

What solved mine were a collection of bad earths, fuses that looked good but when tested were duds, flasher relay was naff and the fuse box was corroded from behind(looked good from the front) also make sure you load test the battery as they can give a good enough reading to a multimeter even with a faulty cell!

Good luck!

#11 Italianjob

Italianjob

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Local Club: Not a member yet.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

How well have you checked the fuses? Visual inspection is not good enough I'm afraid, I had all sorts of electrical gremlins at one point.

What solved mine were a collection of bad earths, fuses that looked good but when tested were duds, flasher relay was naff and the fuse box was corroded from behind(looked good from the front) also make sure you load test the battery as they can give a good enough reading to a multimeter even with a faulty cell!

Good luck!

#12 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:31 PM

Checked all fuses with a meter, changed the battery neg cable, and the earth strap from the block to the bulk head. Just swapped the battery for a fully changed one and it flew over but then slowed back to the relay clicking within a few seconds.

#13 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand and check for any tight spots on the engine, also check that the alternator and water pump spins freely, also check that there are no sticking valves (wd40 or a bit of engine oil)and that the valve timing is right, use the TDC mark on the crank pulley. It might be worth taking out the oil pressure relief valve and spring, turning the engine backwards and squirt engine oil directly into the gallery, doing this will prime the gallery and check to see if the engine will free up any more

My thought is if the engine is difficult to turn over it will zap the battery quick lowering the voltage increasing current flow through the ignition switch which could overload the system wiping out additional circuits when operated.

Just a theory

#14 Paulb53

Paulb53

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Yeah good point, did most of that earlier, water pump is new, alternator is good. Engine has had a rebuild but nothing dramatic, new main and big end shells etc. Turns over free by hand, cranks a little better with plugs out but nothing special.
Don't really want to start buying parts without knowing exactly where the issue is. Auto electrician could be the next call I guess. 😪

#15 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

I think it sounds like a dragging starter motor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users