12 replies to this topic

#1 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

It's probably been talked about before but I couldn't find a clear answer. If there is a thread just link me to it.

What I want to know is, what is the reliability like on a supercharged 998? I'm not talking a full race spec motor, jut a nicely tuned 998 with a bit more power for road use. I'm going to be using my car for driving to shows so I want to be able to drive it to them without worrying about it breaking down on the way.

Thanks for any help or advice

#2 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

No more unreliable than any other Mini, provided everything is serviced and maintained correctly.  Given you want usable power rather than maxing out on power, it should be pretty reliable, especially when 998s are pretty under stressed as standard. 

Although you may find fitting a 1275 easier and cheaper overall for extra power.  Supercharger is way more fun though :D

Edited by Mini 360, 26 October 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:26 PM

I think you are going to the trouble of supercharging (which I think is an excellent route to useable power) with the added advantage of little in the way of body modification to fit, I would think of a 1275 engine to supercharge as you would get more power with lower boost.. The areas that are likely to fail due to the increased torque are the gear boxes and drive components as these aren't the strongest in the world.

#4 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Other option is a 998 turbo.  More and more options for fitting these nowadays.  Usually cheaper to install too.

#5 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

I think you are going to the trouble of supercharging (which I think is an excellent route to useable power) with the added advantage of little in the way of body modification to fit, I would think of a 1275 engine to supercharge as you would get more power with lower boost.. The areas that are likely to fail due to the increased torque are the gear boxes and drive components as these aren't the strongest in the world.

I'm trying to cut some costs to get the project done and I did want an engine swap but they aren't cheap! Hence why I thought a supercharger as my 998 works fine and isn't high mileage, just slow! If I went to the trouble of swapping an engine I wouldn't go for another a-series, nothing wrong with them, I just want to stand out and be awkward haha! If I had the money to buy a 1275 and then supercharge it I would look at other engine swaps, but I really need the money to get my air ride finished.

#6 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Other option is a 998 turbo.  More and more options for fitting these nowadays.  Usually cheaper to install too.

Are there any turbo kits? Only thought supercharger due to the kits available to save me the hassle

#7 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

Are there any turbo kits? Only thought supercharger due to the kits available to save me the hassle

Look up Mini Mania in the US.  Believe they have a turbo kit developed now.  Its a US company anyway and may have got the name wrong.

#8 BritishRacingGreen

BritishRacingGreen

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

Matt at Fusion Fabrications can make you the vast majority of the bits to fit, he has jigs and designs for the common turbos for a 998. It is a little more complex and involved than supercharging however, and required extra parts like injection fuel pumps and turbo carbs and plenums, but nothing a bit of research won't cover.

I'll warn you now, don't click the link. Turbocharging is an expensive rabbit hole and Matty's products are very tempting...

http://www.fusionfab...nd-downpipe-kit

#9 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

Would swapping to a 1275 cost a lot?  If your 998 is in good condition, it might not be worth that much less than a 1275.  I don't know the answer, but it might be worth looking at.

#10 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

I can make up any parts needed for the conversion. The common parts I make for the 998 are the turbo manifolds and downpipes for various different turbos (usually the GT15 series) and plenums.

It really is a simple conversion to do, and if you shop around for the turbo specific parts, like carb, spi tank etc... Then it can be done on a relatively low budget. You are also less restricted on upgrades in the future.

#11 doormatt

doormatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

I can make up any parts needed for the conversion. The common parts I make for the 998 are the turbo manifolds and downpipes for various different turbos (usually the GT15 series) and plenums.
It really is a simple conversion to do, and if you shop around for the turbo specific parts, like carb, spi tank etc... Then it can be done on a relatively low budget. You are also less restricted on upgrades in the future.

Would you mind sending me a message with a shopping list so to speak, it is a very tempting option

#12 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

Would you mind sending me a message with a shopping list so to speak, it is a very tempting option

You should of given me a message bro ;)

I've got a full assignment I did for uni which I covered a lot of what you need to convert to a turbo, let me know if you want it

#13 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

You should of given me a message bro ;)
I've got a full assignment I did for uni which I covered a lot of what you need to convert to a turbo, let me know if you want it
I would love a copy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users