670 replies to this topic

#241 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Hi Ben, great work a really impressive job done, when you said you were waxing the underside, is that the waxotl stuff in the cavities etc? I'm at that stage with mine and looking for the best thing to use. I've stone guarded the underside and painted it the body colour, just looking for the best route to take.

Thanks jim

Hi Jim.

When choosing a wax for box sections, you need to find one that creeps well so that it will flow as far as possible and then inject is from as many places as possible.

I use a wax by Wurth for this and it's easy to get through coverage on inner sills and in/around subframes etc. I keep pumping it in until it is dripping out from everywhere.

If you want to coat external surfaces, then you want one that doesn't creep so much as it will just run and drip off everywhere.

For this I use a wax by Optima which comes in an aerosol and sprays on nicely almost like a coat of paint and is great for applying to the floors underneath as it sticks well and dries into a stiff skin which doesn't wash off.

That's about all you can do and as long as the sealing up and stonechipping is done well, everything should last well.

Good luck

Ben

#242 carthorse

carthorse

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Great job - a really good quality nice usable mini that's going to last better and longer than when it was new probably! Is that Lotus Europa bodyshell in the background of the out doors pics ever going to see the road again? I'd love to see a thread on that one......

#243 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Great job - a really good quality nice usable mini that's going to last better and longer than when it was new probably! Is that Lotus Europa bodyshell in the background of the out doors pics ever going to see the road again? I'd love to see a thread on that one......

Cheers for the comments.

It is a Europa. We have the panels for it but not a lot else so i doubt it will be done. It's been there years from when the last restoration guy worked at Mill Road Garage.

Cheers

Ben

#244 Jimbob98

Jimbob98

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi Ben, great work a really impressive job done, when you said you were waxing the underside, is that the waxotl stuff in the cavities etc? I'm at that stage with mine and looking for the best thing to use. I've stone guarded the underside and painted it the body colour, just looking for the best route to take.
Thanks jim

Hi Jim.

When choosing a wax for box sections, you need to find one that creeps well so that it will flow as far as possible and then inject is from as many places as possible.
I use a wax by Wurth for this and it's easy to get through coverage on inner sills and in/around subframes etc. I keep pumping it in until it is dripping out from everywhere.

If you want to coat external surfaces, then you want one that doesn't creep so much as it will just run and drip off everywhere.
For this I use a wax by Optima which comes in an aerosol and sprays on nicely almost like a coat of paint and is great for applying to the floors underneath as it sticks well and dries into a stiff skin which doesn't wash off.

That's about all you can do and as long as the sealing up and stonechipping is done well, everything should last well.

Good luck

Ben
Cheers Ben sounds like a plan

#245 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Absolutely stunning work, Ben! When I've got time at the office again, I will email you with regards to mine!

#246 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Awesome work, and fantastic that the owner has invested so much in keeping another GT on the road. I live in Bridgend so will look Colin up, I may ask him to paint my car :)

Fantastic job, hope you have a Mini adventure driving the car back home.

#247 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

Just a quick update.

The Mini has now passed it's MOT and is ready to leave the fold.

John will be collecting it Monday.

I have fitted a new set of brake pads and new knuckle joints since the last update and managed a test drive today.

I'm happy to report that all is well.

Thanks again for looking and for all the comments.

Ben

#248 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

Great job, it must be so nice to receive commissions like these. I know it requires a lot of work but so enjoyable for you and for us to see.

#249 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

I do love my job!

#250 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

I do love my job!

It's shows. If I lived closer I'd use you.

#251 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

I am so pleased with the great work that Ben has done and can't wait to pick it up on Monday.

#252 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

I do love my job!

I used to! then I retired and what happened couple of years later after a sabbatical 

started doing it as a hobby to keep me interested.

Well done on the Clubman by the way another happy customer ;D .

#253 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

I've been following this the whole way, it is amazing..

And what is Johns verdict now the car is back in his possession?

Cam.

#254 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

I've been following this the whole way, it is amazing..

And what is Johns verdict now the car is back in his possession?

Cam.

Ben has done a great job and the car looks better in the flesh than in the photos.

I have been doing a few jobs on the car to get it exactly as I would like it, I have fitted Hi-Lo's to give a slightly higher ride height as the roads in our area are not good, I have removed the old dashboard and am in the process of putting it back to standard, I have fitted a high level rear brake light, rear fog light, fuel pump cut off switch, proper GT grille and have installed the remote starter switch and cigarette lighter into the ashtray. The last job is to wire up the rear under seat speakers once I put some new carpets in.

Attached File  20170225_112200_resized.jpg   42.06K   38 downloads rear brake light Attached File  20170225_112031_resized.jpg   48.22K   54 downloads new grille Attached File  20170225_112349_resized.jpg   60.43K   47 downloads new dash with cigar lighter and remote start Attached File  DSC_0107.JPG   38.5K   35 downloads old dash Attached File  20170225_112055_resized.jpg   46.99K   48 downloads new stance with Hi Lo-s

#255 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:02 PM

Looks fantastic, bet it feels a lot safer now all of the work has been done :) I always liked the original dash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users