• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Bit more done.

This switch panel was looking scruffy

aUe7Qdc.jpg

So I have refurbished that

UMjuHfw.jpg

And then continued to locate all the wiring and install the rest of the dashboard

xIEcdg0.jpg

8aOObzE.jpg

I shall leave the dash liners out for now as I need to make up some wiring for some auxiliary items and that will be easier wit better access.

Cheers

Ben

#497 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

Nice transformation on the switch panel Ben, and good to see it all going back together :thumbsup:

#498 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:38 PM

I think you need some nice shiny new front seat covers now to finish it off :)

http://www.theminifo...-thread/page-11

The seats I have are in reasonable condition however I would love to get some new ones, but it's not as simple as that I think I would need new seat cushion and squab foam as well.

Do you still have some new front covers for sale?

I do have a few sets left but I think they will probably be gone by the end of this summer :( I had to do the same. My frames were so badly rusted I had to buy replacements. I then asked Optimise to build up complete new seats as per the photo in my link.

I was thinking about more modern replacements but always liked these.

#499 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

Been a bit quiet lately as I have been working away with the GT doing lots of re-wiring.

Some of the loom needed to be repaired, some cut out and remade and I also made up a new loom and second fusebox to go inside the car to power some accessories.

This is one of the remade headlamp  bowl looms for example. The old one was a combination of lots of short pieces of wires joined with connectors from being patched/repaired over the years

j93X0gW.jpg

And this is a shot of the additional fusebox hidden up behind the radio

0I5LTg5.jpg

It does look neater than shows in the photograph. The thich black wire coiled up and cabletied to the bracket is the excess coax for the ariel.

I rewired the switches for the rear fog and other accessories

EGYvtLf.jpg

And that completes most of the interior

qa80utl.jpg

Just the eyeball vents and dash liner cards to go in

I have also worked through all of the electrics that I can without the engine in and everything is working perfectly now

06SRvsG.jpg

I have also refitted the doors

z1p3BN1.jpg

aL3BNwr.jpg

And screen

Kv4qfcz.jpg

Pretty much ready for the engine now

IsSR5nW.jpg

Cheers

Ben

#500 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

Would you recommend fitting all of the electrics prior to the engine being fitted? Never thought of that but seems the best thing to do.

#501 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

Great job on the wiring Ben, much much tidier and good to see the spotlights working (never worked before), it's all coming together nicely  :proud:

#502 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

Would you recommend fitting all of the electrics prior to the engine being fitted? Never thought of that but seems the best thing to do.

It's certainly easier to fit and wire everything up without an engine in the way if you can. Makes fault finding a bit easier too.

main reason I did it this way on this car is simply because the engine isn't quite ready to fit yet.

Cheers

Ben 

#503 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

The new 1293 engine has now been built up onto a refurbished gearbox and then assembled with all of the existing ancillaries and is now ready to fit. 

I didn't put the engine together so don't have any photos of the process as it was all done whilst I was tied up with other work.

Here it is on the crane ready to lower in

1ij27Bn.jpg

Once it was in and bolted up, I got out the driveshafts and set about putting new CV boots on

biy1Hwk.jpg

1 done

THs1AJU.jpg

And the other followed and both were installed

I added the manifolds and radiator to the engine and realised that I didn't have a new master cylinder blanking plate for the passenger side to replace the holed rusty original so I knocked one up

jjHJTan.jpg

And installed

LLhI2td.jpg

This car has an expansion tank which has been added by the owner.

It was bolted directly to the inner wing and bulkhead but I couldn't really reuse the fittings used before so decided to make up a basic bracket to hold it in place

It needs to go here

c3gQzBv.jpg

The bracket takes off an existing hole in the inner wing and the brake master cylinder fixings

oBUMInN.jpg

And then I fitted the tank

W0MLldb.jpg

It's soon going to be ready to run up

kB11dtE.jpg

Cheers

Ben

#504 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:38 PM

Excellent work Ben, the expansion tank bracket and your blanking plate fabrication look really good, got to say I am getting excited at the thought of getting to drive it again.

Just one minor point, having replaced all the blue silicone hoses could you also replace the expansion tank overflow pipe with clear or black.

Many thanks

John

:highfive:

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 24 February 2020 - 06:03 PM.

#505 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

Excellent work as usual.
Can I ask what the purpose of the expansion tank is on this car? Seems to ruin the clean lines in the bay in my opinion. Not meant as a criticism, just not seen one there before

#506 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:47 PM

Excellent work, even though it was a photo I was still worried about you chipping the paint when you lowered in the engine :)

#507 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

Excellent work as usual.
Can I ask what the purpose of the expansion tank is on this car? Seems to ruin the clean lines in the bay in my opinion. Not meant as a criticism, just not seen one there before

The car previously didn't overheat but occasionally dumped small amounts of coolant through the overflow, I decided to fit an expansion tank to save keep topping up antifreeze/coolant and also be able to check the coolant level without removing the pressure cap.

Ben did ask if I wanted to remove it but I decided to keep it, Bens custom made bracket has made it much tidier than before.

I believe that the expansion tank was fitted to some GTS minis and Austin / Morris 1300's

#508 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

John, 

glad you are happy and I don't blame you for being excited to drive it again. 

I'm get some hose sorted out for the overflow and swap it out.

Steve,

I was just about to explain about the expansion tank but John beat me to it.

Jase,

It's quite a bit easier to lower the engine into the clubman mini's as there is a lot more room in from of the engine.

Even though I've done it several times, I still feel nervous everytime that the engine is going to fall from the crane once it's raised high above the bay! 

They always go in without a hitch fortunately.

Cheers

Ben

#509 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:52 PM

Oh man, wow! I’ve spent some time away from the forum due to work, family and other diy projects. Just been catching up on threads I’d seen before, this is awesome!

#510 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:32 PM

Not much in the way of photos in this update but the engine work is now finished off and it's running.

It's all been run up and checked and i'm happy to say it runs very nicelt

cq4OKz2.jpg

The blue wire is temporary as the live to the coil wasn't working correctly. Ill resolve that now it's up and running

Not much left now!

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users