#46 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hi Ben,

When I purchased the car back in May it came with 6 months remaining on the MOT with no advisories and had only covered 400 miles since the MOT.

Even though I was aware of some of the patch repairs I was not aware of the huge amount and the fact that there were patches on patches.

It will be good to see the back of the many bodges/patches and I look forward to see the new floor going in, keep up the good work.

Regards

John

#47 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

Hi Ben,

When I purchased the car back in May it came with 6 months remaining on the MOT with no advisories and had only covered 400 miles since the MOT.

Even though I was aware of some of the patch repairs I was not aware of the huge amount and the fact that there were patches on patches.

It will be good to see the back of the many bodges/patches and I look forward to see the new floor going in, keep up the good work.

Regards

John

They must have taken it to a very generous MOT centre. :lol:

I know the repairs were last year as there are stickers on the inside of the cover sills dated May 2015. I just cannot believe that the subframe was bolted to the heelboard in that way. Shocking!

Anyway, new floor going in next week

Cheers

Ben

#48 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

I think the previous owner must've been the mot man's best mate. Will be a fine example when done

#49 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Or worst enemy :o

#50 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

Very similar to the condition the floor on my clubman was when I got her, although I only had three layers on the old floor in places! My clubman was also MOT'd at the time but god knows how it passed! She'll be spot on when finished!

#51 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

Shocking!! :0 you really do work fast though Ben!

#52 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

Well the floor put up a fight but didn't win

7vOddJn.jpg

025k3yW.jpg

The bottoms of the companion bins were toast so i just cut them out along with the floor.

With the bulk out of the way, i was left with the remains of the inner and outer sills attached to the steps

EXKQzKj.jpg

16A1Dbc.jpg

So they were removed and the area cleaned back to see what repairs were required.

S3hp6NU.jpg

rWYI6LX.jpg

This side was pretty good and just needs some minor repairs to the step where the seam has rusted away.

Then onto the other side

aTsYg0H.jpg

5wzXHsP.jpg

B1rGWRf.jpg

I removed the unwanted bits but found that this side was much more corroded than the other so will need quite a bit of rebuilding.

bxXduFm.jpg

gVxkrfH.jpg

Almost ready to trial fit the new floor before making good the corroded sections

EwABVG1.jpg

I just need to cut back the toe board and flitches now to allow the floor to slip in and then go from there.

Cheers

Ben

#53 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hi Ben

Another good day of progress, I have e-mailed you regarding replacing the step panel.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#54 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi Ben

Another good day of progress, I have e-mailed you regarding replacing the step panel.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ok cool.

I'ts all going smoothly so far. If all goes to plan, the welding will be complete by the end of the week.

Cheers

Ben

#55 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

There are some interesting patches on those flitch panels

#56 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

That will all be cut away thankfully.

There was a more interesting one on the toe board where whoever welded it only welded to the patch and so no weld actually went on the toeboard. It was just held on by a small amount of penetration.

Oh well

#57 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

When I bought the car I had a journey of about 200 miles to bring it back home late at night and in the rain, I wasn't aware at the time of the state of the repairs / hidden rust or the broken engine mounting and broken sub-frame mountings. I just thank my lucky stars that both me and my wife got home safely especially in light of the bodges that Ben has uncovered.

#58 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

When I bought the car I had a journey of about 200 miles to bring it back home late at night and in the rain, I wasn't aware at the time of the state of the repairs / hidden rust or the broken engine mounting and broken sub-frame mountings. I just thank my lucky stars that both me and my wife got home safely especially in light of the bodges that Ben has uncovered.

I'm sure it will go better afterwards too due to the massive weight reduction.

The removed floor took two of us to carry  :ohno:

At least it will have a new lease of life now for you to enjoy in the future.

Cheers

Ben

#59 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

I'm sure it will go better afterwards too due to the massive weight reduction.

The removed floor took two of us to carry  :ohno:

At least it will have a new lease of life now for you to enjoy in the future.

Cheers

Ben

I am sure it will go better and am definitely looking forward to enjoying my safer lighter Mini :highfive:

#60 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

Quite a lot of progress made today but nothing interesting or exciting.

I trial fitted the floor to see where needed trimming or adjusting

OuIyAVJ.jpg

mqSTx6x.jpg

I need to make up the bottom two inches or so for the companion bins where i had to cut them back

rfuLyxO.jpg

The the floor came out and back in a few more times whilst i was making adjustments so it could move forward to where it needed to be and once i was happy, i started removing the toe board

vWgrRat.jpg

With the bulk out of the way, I set about removing the ends from where the toe board welds to the inner wings/arches. There was so much rust between all of the patches that it was really past saving so i decided to just cut the bottoms away and ill fabricate up new lower sections.

And then in went the toe board

xV7nESX.jpg

Wk2r0df.jpg

It is now screwed into place and all measurements have been checked and confirmed so i shall be able to weld it in tomorrow morning.

Following that, i shall sort the inner wing bottoms so that it can be bolted back to the spit as currently, the engine crane has the weight at the front which means i cannot rotate the shell.

More tomorrow

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users