#1 Kia890

Kia890

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

New to the forum but have used it to solve many a problem before.

I have a 1987 Mini Mayfair 998cc and have owned it for the last few years, having got it back to a daily driver for now. However, within the last week my drivers side main beam doesn't want to work at all.

I have replaced the whole lighting loom from the bullet connectors to the light on both sides, changed to brand new bulbs and still nothing.

A check across the terminals on the light tells me that I am getting a voltage there but no lights at all. I have 4 bulbs which I have tried and none of them work, although they do on the passenger side light.

All fuses are correct and I have traced all wires for breakages, which obviously isn't the problem due to a voltage being present. 

Has anyone ever had a similar problem because this has confused me to the point of insanity.

Thanks,

Kia890

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

If you have 12 volts to the bulb terminal(s), the bulb is OK and the bulb is earthed it will light up.

So now, using a multi-meter, trace the power, check the bulb (both main-beam & dip), and check that it earths. 

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:10 PM

I would check the bullet connectors behind the front panel again - they are a real pain when they get corroded

sounds like you are getting volts , but no amps , so there is resistance in the circuit

I would make a new known good earth , & try that - if no luck , the problem is resistance in the bulb +ve to the bullet connector

the above is a guess - as I haven't worked on the car

on my own car , I have made up an earthing bolt on the inner wings , both sides , instead of the -ve joining at the bullet connector

the +ve's are 4 separate wires going to dedicated relays , so no joins behind the front panel

Edited by sledgehammer, 05 November 2016 - 10:17 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users