40 replies to this topic

#1 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

What's the view on them. Obviously genuine is better but I'm going to start a budget build soon and wondered if there are any companies to avoid. The mini will need a full front end and sills but I won't put over sills on it. I notice in one of the mini mags that p&l minis sell a complete front end for £139 but I'm unsure of the fit. What experience do you guys have?

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

There are two major suppliers of panels, Heritage and Magnum.

M Machine also do their own pressings but not all panels. So going on from there what you see on any company etc will predominantly be Heritage or Magnum.

Magnum will fit but will take work. In the same breath so will Heritage as I have been finding out recently. M Machine does good panels but again you may find issues as well. Companion bins are one for example.

Seriously consider a Heritage scuttle, far far better than Magnum. The other front panels will fit although steer clear of Magnum bonnets. Utter utter crap.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:16 PM

Generally, Heritage are better and i use them whenever possible but as Neil said, they can sometimes have issues.

Magnum front end panels are hit and miss.

Sometimes you get good ones and others the finish is terrible with razor sharp edges, poor pressings and spot welds that pull parts of panels out of shape like the front panels for example.

Also, it is worth pointing out that many of the magnum panels are repair panels and are designed to fit over the top of the existing panels so the fit does not lend itself to being a replacement panel without modification.

Best bet is to visit a panel supplier and choose between the genuine and non genuine by looking at the quality differences or pop up a list of what you need and ask for advice on which should be genuine and what you can get away with by buying non gen.

If time is not important then most of the non gen panels will work perfectly well with patience but for instance in the trade, a genuine panel is more economical to fit as generally, they fit with less fuss making for a quicker job and ultimately costing less.

Cheers

Ben

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

something to also consider , esp with front end panels  -

is the panel being removed original , if yes , then go for genuine esp , as above scuttle panel , bonnet , boot

if it has been changed to pattern of some kind - I bet some mini's are on their 4th front end - then even a genuine panel will require some fiddling

#5 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:07 PM

Looking at the eBay pics, it looks original. The bonnets ok so that will stay. It will definatly need a front panel,2 wings,a panels and flitch. It's been 16 years since I last welded up a mini and back then I used Rover panels. But I wasn't sure if these days pattern stuff had upped their game or got worse.

#6 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

I have used panels from m machine, magnum and heritage and as mentioned above all need work to fit, for front end magnum can be fitted fine, I did use magnum scuttle end repairs on my mk1 without issue, but I wouldn't use their full scuttle.
For floor panels and sills I would only use m machine,
I also used magnum rear quarters and door skins and am pleased with the fit.

#7 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

Ok, now the minis home. I went over it yesterday and started to work out what I need. The front floors are rotten as I expected. But because over sills were fitted it rotted out where they were welded on. My plan is to buy a half floor from mini spares ( magnum???)
Chop the front floor out and then cut near the first floor rib all the way back to remove all the rot. Then cut the new floor to fit,how does that sound? Is a magnum floor a good fit?

#8 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

You can get m machine half floors that are already assembled with outer sills and jacking points, you will probably find you need crossmember end repair panels as well. Just brace the car before cutting out

#9 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

The cross member Is mint. I saw those half floors but because I need the front pan I thought I could use a full floor and cut what I need.

#10 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

If your going through the trouble of buying a full floor, instead of cutting what you need, why not fit the whole floor?

#11 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

I did think that,but the rest of the floor is mint. It's only spoiled by the fact some one fitted oversills and the results speak for themselves.

#12 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'm doing inner sills, outer sills, one front pan. I now think doing the full floor would have been much less hassle.

Would look much neater when done as well

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

You may need a second pair of hands to help from time to time if you go for a full floor, as they are large and unwieldy. But as others have suggested it will be a better job in the end.

#14 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

Talking of pattern panels, does anyone have experience of these? Are they Magnum?

https://www.carbodyp...1970-2000-mkiii

I have my suspicions. And just look at those bodger's floor panels, trimmed to fit around the bins, leaving the rusty bits in place

Of how about those on Fleabay?

http://www.ebay.co.u...0910&rmvSB=true

They do not look very good.

Sadly there is a lot of junk out there. I saw another site a while back which had quite a range of panels at lower prices than we might expect, who apparently sell to the "trade", meaning anyone including the very worst back street garages but probably not the best, who have standards to uphold. Those are likely to be what you get if you put a Mini in to an average body repairer, unless you specify otherwise.

There is cheap stuff out there. Buy cheap, buy twice....

Caveat emptor. And best wishes to everyone who wants to do the job properly.

#15 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

why on earth would they go around the bins ?

as said above , the bins are usually the bad part

they would look crap from under neath with a join there

it seems to now be a case of cover up what you can , rather than cut out & replace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users