#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Heritage (BMH) have at last got their long awaited prototype Mk1 'lookalike' Body Shell on display with external hinges, etc.at the NEC Classic Car Show.

BMH say this shell was rushed out to get ready for the NEC show and is not finished or for sale yet.....price is not yet fixed but will be circa £10k + VAT.
The new Mk1 Mini shell is mainly aimed at Historic motorsport where sourcing early replacement Mk1 Mini shells is becoming increasingly difficult without using another 'donor' car.

Mk1-BMH%20Shell-1_zpseyakghbm.jpg

Mk1%20BMH%20Shell-4_zpsymimw1ke.jpg

Mk1%20BMH%20Shell-6_zpsufgnko1o.jpg

Mk1%20BMH%20Shell-2_zpssrit2vyt.jpg

Mk1%20BMH%20Shell-3_zpsjuzmlg8r.jpg

Mk1%20BMH%20Shell-5_zpstwkbcm7y.jpg

(Photos - Neilson Miller)

https://www.facebook...&type=3

#2 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:16 PM

I had a look round it and yes lots of differences to an original shell but for historic racing it's ideal. For the purist am sure they will stick to replacing every panel on a basket case instead

#3 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

12 grand though you can buy a car for that

#4 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

It's not really a mk1 tho is it, I suppose if your wanting to do a mk1 copy it's as close as your going to get!

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

If I badly damaged my Mk.1 rally 'S' I would buy one of these shells, make sure the configuration was absolutely correct by changing or adding anything which is at variance with the original and re-build it.

However, I wouldn't do it for a Mk.1 850 or 998 Cooper as it would be less expensive to restore a rusty shell, as I am currently doing for a 1964 850.

#6 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

What are the differences Then?

Shooter

#7 crazirob

crazirob

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

upper and lower dash rails 

no cut outs on the floors

rear window incorrect size incorrect front bulkhead and inner wings

amoungst a few other issues however it is marked as a prototype so there will be improvements, for me wanting to build an FIA car i will either spend 10K restoring a current shell or i buy a new one that is new, rust free then cage paint alot less work, alot more money for an incorrect car currently

only thing this will mean is that the new shells produced now and anyone could make a historic car which will not only devalue the price of my current Mk1  but will also mean the genuine cars will be harder to identify 

#8 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

Without going to far into it as the variations on MK1 shells is a long list, just from those pictures

Side panels look wrong, distance from the top of the Windows to the roof looks like small gap on a MK3 onwards, which means later internal hinge rear sides and custom made front sliding glass would be required

Rear window, later larger size

Lower parcel shelf is the wrong type and has the incorrect cutout for the switch panel

Looks like a single bolt rubber mount subframe would be needed

Front valance is only right up to 64

No inner radiator shroud

Ect ect, it will be perfect for Motorsport, (providing they are allowed to run) I'd rather start with a good solid base like this than loose another road going correct MK1 because another race or rally car gets damaged

It's good that they have done this and sort of good that the average enthusiast will be able to spot one from 10 feet away, which will only add to the enjoyment of owing a 'real' MK1

Edited by mk1coopers, 12 November 2016 - 06:22 PM.

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

amoungst a few other issues however it is marked as a prototype so there will be improvements, for me wanting to build an FIA car i will either spend 10K restoring a current shell or i buy a new one that is new, rust free then cage paint alot less work, alot more money for an incorrect car currently

only thing this will mean is that the new shells produced now and anyone could make a historic car which will not only devalue the price of my current Mk1  but will also mean the genuine cars will be harder to identify 

History regarding comparable things like vintage guitars and watches etc would suggest as the copies get better (Fender and Gibson etc make their own copies!) the genuine articles become more valuable not less. More generic items that are rare like a single panel only available used would be valuable of course especially if you had a mint new old stock one, if the pressing template was later found and the part went back into production then maybe the rare parts wouldn't be so valuable but not a whole car that experts could identify as new in my opinion.

#10 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

Having had a look at this yesterday, even given that it is a prototype, the quality of the workmanship is utter, utter, utter crap. The door gaps are a complete joke, on the right hand side the roof skin isn't joined to the screen surround, there is actually a hole there. If you haven't seen it for yourself you wont believe how bad it is.

They've clearly rushed this out, I hope, but to put something as bad as this on display at what is the UK's premier classic car show does Heritage Motor Panels no favours at all and they absolutely deserve all the bad press they are getting about this.

#11 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

Some more detailed photos are available on the Mk1 Forum here:-

http://mk1-forum.net...=16864&start=40

#12 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

Wouldn't cars like yours have a registration and V5 etc, unless people buy log books and then just match them to these new shells.

#13 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:54 PM

Yes, a legitimate car would have its documentation and most of its parts. You can reshell an old, rotten car with a new shell, but there is no legal way whatsoever of creating an original Mini from a registration document and a new shell. When you are found out, it will be crushed and you will be fined and acquire a criminal record.

You are at liberty to create a new car, but it will need to pass IVA and thus be so thoroughly disfigured that it doesn't even resemble an end of production Mini, far less a Mk 1.

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hopefully it's better quality than the rest of their shells. Looked at a few now and they're not worth the monumental price tag until they sort out quality control.

#15 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Will this be like the e type that Goodwood turned away saying
'we don't allow 'replicas' to race'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users