#91 racingenglishcars

racingenglishcars

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Local Club: Donn's Backyard Garage

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Last night now that all the inner protectors are finished, it was just a question of mounting the front wings.
All clamped in place and aligned, for which we took good time for perfect fit.
We had to close the bonnet and therefore had to mount the car on stands and remove the spit.

Then spot welding. first a test spot on the bonnet gap area because we had to use the large c-grips there and couldn't close the bonnet. Not quite right, drilled out and did again. 
by the way, the inner wings don't stay straight unless the wings are welded on. They had to be forced a bit to one side before welding.
After the top seam for which there is no image, down the side seams on both sides:

Then the front seams from the inside. The car was turned on it's side for this - in with the spit, out with the stands.

The welder is heavy!

Whooptie.

Insted of rolling the car to the other side, we just worked above our heads and did the left side.

Whooptie.

And though it can't be seen so well, both wings are mounted and the entire front is straight.

#92 racingenglishcars

racingenglishcars

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Nice having a Sunday to work alone in the garage.

Saturday, since I am finished with the spot welder, I took it back to the garage club in Lyngby. I've only borrowed it for 9 months or so. But now there are all those small edges and corners that need finishing. Like these;

Front wings to front panel;

Windscreen surround to roof gutter:

Rear wing and inner wing to lower panel;

Rear wing corner to inner wing;

Back panel to roof gutter;

I'm sure I have lots more boring pictures of these small welds but suffice to say they all got welded up today.

Example;

#93 racingenglishcars

racingenglishcars

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

Another lovely Tuesday evening! Peter actually went home early citing headache from all the noise. We had two angle grinders running most of the time. Only one on the Mini, the other on a motorcycle sidecar.

However before all the noise, we thought it would be nice with a test fit of the Safety Devices rear bar with cross-brace.

Did anybody mention that theses are quite impossible to install in a completed car. And it doesn't have anything to do with the spit being in place. The four bottom feet of the are all too wide to fit past the B-post, in any possibility or any position-gyration. 

In the end it went in feet first. We used a rope to hold the forward feet together about 2 cm from rest point, and a cable-pull to pull the rear feet together nearly 4 cm. I suppose it would have been easier if there were no side bins but alas there are!

The front feet must pass between the side bins and door latch while the rear feet must pass further up on the B-post. This required violent compression of the rear bar's width. We also had to remove the windshield spacer which for some reason we have resisted. This implies that if it is done in a completed car, the windshield should be removed. This to allow the bar to go far enough forward that the front feet can go over the side bins.

Well, it's finally in place. It's a good thing we did it before paint as it would have scratched the heck out of the interior. We now have to put the mounting plates in, weld and epoxy paint before finally bolting the bar in place down INSIDE the side bins!. I guess in the end everything will be painted one colour. (Don't forget to tape the approval sticker before painting)

OK, so the angle grinder stuff.

These panels were covered with glue and insulation fibers.

Also the back seat. But they are all cleaned up now, awaiting sanding before epoxy primer.

#94 racingenglishcars

racingenglishcars

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

Another Tuesday and more group work on the blue 64 Mini.
Peter got some seats a while ago and we test fitted the general position. I think I have a plan for properly mounting them now. More on that when the time comes.

I made a template of the left side petrol tank opening, then using that Peter cut a hole in the right side.

The fit is quite good when the tank is properly in place.

Fixed mounting of the roll bar implied tweaking a bit. The top corners aren't exactly the same side to side

Half cm on left and 1.5 cm on right. And this was after compressing the legs trying to install it. 
No problem! Just a bit of cable pull. Mounted chain grips to the main bar on the left side to keep the cable in place;

and put a chain holder on the top right side.

I tweaked it a bit by pulling - hard, a bit more, and again a bit more.

In the end it was "much" better, that is to mean nearly the same distance on both sides. I had to take it out to bend the right side main bar a bit outward, just to relieve static stress. 

Actual positioning of the main hoop is primarily done by placement of the rear left foot. It is the one with the diagonal (triangulation), which generally can't be tweaked. 

Positioning of the main hoop (front) feet is done by tweaking the main hoop.

Despite what I wrote before, it will come out for painting.

Edited by racingenglishcars, 15 November 2017 - 02:42 PM.

#95 racingenglishcars

racingenglishcars

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Well, last night I decided to do something about the seat mount. Tim who will drive the car daily is a bit taller than I am and quite a bit taller than his father Peter, who initiated this build. The seat needs to be adjustable!
I suppose I could have started off with the standard front seat mounts, which are a very cost effective solution, but we really wanted something that would mount the seat adjuster a bit further back and since I would have to modify it anyway, I decided to just make some myself.

They came out quite well but way too long time. I won't do that for my own car. So far only one bolt hole along the length.

As can be seen above, there is only one mounting bolt on the seat bottom. I had cut off the other two height adjusters which all would have mounted the seat much too high. I'm considering cutting down the back legs. 

Now there are only questions of: F / R adjustment. Height adjustment. Angle adjustment. I will have to get Tim here to test it. 
Both supporting the rear seat legs at the bottom, and latching the seat down in the back are also considerations.

As it is, it does slide;

and tilt, which gives a very limited access to the back seat area (for not much more than small things).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares