#1 wgcpfc

wgcpfc

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hi there,

I don't often post on here but, as is probably true with most mini owners, am a frequent reader of the 'Problems, Questions and Technical' section of the forum.

Sorry if this question has been answered already elsewhere!

My 1988, Mayfair, 998 has a strange headlight issue where full and dipped beams work normally but when only the sidelights are switched on, the passenger side illuminates at the correct brightness whilst the drivers side is very dim (almost undetectable in daylight). Has anyone else come across this? I've checked the connectors that run along the wiring loom behind the top of the grille and they all seem to be corrosion free and connecting/disconnecting them has the expected affect. This really has me puzzled as I would have thought lights would be binary!

Secondly, as all the other light stages work properly, would this pass an MOT?

Attached File  IMG_9379.jpg   10.83K   12 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9383.jpg   31.1K   19 downloadsAttached File  IMG_9380.jpg   24.15K   9 downloads

Any advice is much appreciated!

Wayne

#2 neal

neal

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:30 PM

Check the main earth point on the drivers inner wing brace bracket, or pop the black earth out the bullet connectors and earth it out, sounds a classic bad earth issue, if you have a Sealey or similar tester which can provide a earth then do that test first

#4 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

And try changing both bulbs for a new pair. Not all supposedly similar bulbs are equal! Check that the bulb holders are clean and not corroded, and making good contact. You have probably tried that already.

Is it a genuinely dim light, ie yellow rather than white, or is it less light but still white? It could be the bulb is misplaced with respect to its aperture in the reflector, letting less light through, if it is dim but still the correct white.

If you still have not found the problem, swap the complete light units over and tell us whether the dim one follows the swap or stays put. But you will probably deduce where the fault is yourself at that stage.

#5 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

It could be the bulb is misplaced with respect to its aperture in the reflector, letting less light through, if it is dim but still the correct white.

I think it looks like the bulb isn't sat properly in the aperture, it doesn't seem to reflect the same as the other side, if it was just dim I'd expect it to reflect evenly, but just dimmer.

It could be the camera making it look like that though.

Good luck

#6 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

Check the side light bulb holder is still sitting in the four clips that hold it in the main bulb connection.You could always put a couple of LED bulbs in your sidelights,you'll notice the difference/Brightness right away.Not a bad idea to check your earths (can't hurt to add extra)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users