JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi;

I am building a custom ICE / Information System for my recently restored 1982 HLE 1000.

The system will be based around a Raspberry with a 7 Inch Touchscreen.

As I do not currently have a separate Amplifier lined up (any recommendations?) I am planning to use the amplifier in the Pioneer DEH-1600R radio that came in the car. This will be facilitated by hacking an audio input for the Raspberry Pi into the L and R Channel Audio from the radio module as detailed here. As such my car will have to power the Radio and the Raspberry Pi PC (Actually it powers the Touchscreen and the Raspberry Pi gets its power from the Screen).

To power the Raspberry Pi / Screen I have bought a dedicated Raspberry Pi 3A Car Supply / Switch here, details on how to install it here.

Looking at the 

In order to get things write I need a little clarity on safely powering my setup (both the radio and Raspberry Pi).

1. Can I power the Raspberry Pi Switch from the same power source as the existing Radio by piggy backing the Mausberry Car Switch Yellow / Red and Gnd Wires onto the existing ones for the radio?

2. According to the radio user manual the radio is rated at 10 Amp the Mausberry is a 3A Switch. If I do piggy back do I need to add a fuse and if so what rating? The radio has a 10 Amp Fuse in the back already.

Any pointers on doing this would be great.

Thanks 

P.S. I am running a BLOG on the build here if anyone is interested. Only just started the blog so bear with it as it is a work in progress.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

First does the pie power supply need a regulated power supply? It will see between 12 and 14.7Volts.

You may need to regulating so it does not spike from the alternator supply.

Yes I would fuse it as well. And yes the power supply for the radio will do.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

First does the pie power supply need a regulated power supply? It will see between 12 and 14.7Volts.

You may need to regulating so it does not spike from the alternator supply.

Yes I would fuse it as well. And yes the power supply for the radio will do.

The Mausberry Switch takes care of regulating the voltage for the Pi / Screen. It comes supplied with three 18 gauge wires - one to the battery for a constant 12v and one to the ignition 12v and one Ground. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users