#1 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

Probably been asked many times before but Im crap at using the search thing...

I have a 3 point harness to fit to my mini, just for trackdays.. I have harness eye bolts to fit and need to know where is the best place to mount them...?

The mount at the rear, will that be OK in the parcel shelf with a spreader plate....?

And the 2 into the floor, is it as simple as mounting them where they can be through the floor....?

I will be eventually fitting a harness bar across the rear cage, but at the moment I dont have the required spare pennies to buy the bar to fit....

Thanks folks :)

#2 Sag

Sag

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

I mounted mine on the rear parcel shelf and like you said put a spreader plate in place.

#3 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Mines a 4 point, but same sorta thin, front 2 just screw into where the seat belt and seat belt clip go in to and the rear I put at the bottom of the rear seat, can sort of see here

IMG_7203_zpstlgr8gpv.jpg

14264167_1110315959056026_53213236367343

Edited by Will16, 02 December 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

I would not use the rear parcel shelf even with a spreader plate as the structure up there is to be honest not very robust.

I would also use the seat belt mounting points as shown above.

Or if you have a cage get a harness bar.

Lower mounts use the seat belt point on the tunnel and then drill a hole through the outer sill aligned with the inner seat belt point. And use sore added plate and also one of the threaded plates. Reason the material is rather thin there while the on on the tunnel is a big hoop.

#5 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:09 PM

If I was to use the rear bulkhead but lower down to about where the rear seat bottom meets the bulkhead, would that be strong enough...?

to be honest I'll only be using the harness when on track days, and the circuit I go onto, I don't really get that much a high speed... maybe around 50ish (short circuit) I know the seatbelts will suffice but having a harness fitted I want it to at least work properly if needed....

#6 Sag

Sag

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I forgot mines a stumpy so I sit on the back seats to drive,I use the bottom mounts as shown above and my rear parcel shelf is strengthened aswell sorry about that

#7 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:51 PM

If I was to use the rear bulkhead but lower down to about where the rear seat bottom meets the bulkhead, would that be strong enough...?

to be honest I'll only be using the harness when on track days, and the circuit I go onto, I don't really get that much a high speed... maybe around 50ish (short circuit) I know the seatbelts will suffice but having a harness fitted I want it to at least work properly if needed....

Never fitted a harness but I believe the mounting points mustn't be too far down as this can cause serious injury in a head on as the forces generated would pull down on the shoulders and compress the wearers spine - which isn't good

#8 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

JB fabrication on here or ebay do a harness bar that bolts to the wheel arches and runs across the rear seats. If you don't plan to use the rear seats that would be my first choice unless you have a cage with a harness bar (you wont be able to use rear seats with harnesses anyway). Spreads the load much better and means you can wrap the harnesses around the bar rather than using an eyelet which I would prefer personally. 

But yes you need to fit the harnesses so the shoulder straps sit within I believe 30 or 45 degrees or less from horizontal otherwise you can find your spine being compressed in an accident. 

Definitely wouldn't use the parcel shelf as its not strong enough and depending on your seat angle the rear seatbelt mounts could be too low and thus create too much of an angle (the harness bar I mentioned could also be an issue but will sit a good few inches higher than rear seatbelt mounts so is less likely to be an issue).

Edited by Alex_B, 02 December 2016 - 11:56 PM.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

But yes you need to fit the harnesses so the shoulder straps sit within I believe 30 or 45 degrees or less from vertical

Please be careful with your verticals and horizontals.

30 degrees from vertical is dangerous. 30 degrees from horizontal is great.

If a HANS device (others are available) is being used then the straps need to be between +/-5 degrees from horizontal.

45 degrees is the steepest accepted angle (from horizontal) but flatter is just about always better.

#10 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

But yes you need to fit the harnesses so the shoulder straps sit within I believe 30 or 45 degrees or less from vertical

Please be careful with your verticals and horizontals.

30 degrees from vertical is dangerous. 30 degrees from horizontal is great.

If a HANS device (others are available) is being used then the straps need to be between +/-5 degrees from horizontal.

45 degrees is the steepest accepted angle (from horizontal) but flatter is just about always better.

Aha thanks for that, will edit the post, been a long day! 

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

Some info from the MSA 2017. See they are still not giving the same info re the FHR as the makers.

C02CBC44-4250-47B3-8A74-BBC94FDD196C_zps

But we are only really interested in the 45 degrees here.

#12 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:18 AM

WOW thanks for all the info folks...

Will only be using the harness when on track, so a head on will be unlikely but I get what you mean :)

I will find a way of mounting the rear buckle using the diagram above until I can afford a harness bar...

The rear seats wont matter when the bar is attached because I wont have passengers anyway and they will be removed before leaving home....

Im onto fixing the eyebolts today, got the 'proper' type too, not just cheapo's off B&Q's shelf LOL

Thanks for all the info :)

#13 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

A harness bar is cheaper than a harness.. If you're going to do something may as well do it right..

And a head on is still likely on track..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users